Return to Blog

Become a Contractor in New Mexico

The demand for licensed construction contractors continues to grow throughout the United States. If you're thinking about becoming licensed in New Mexico, you'll find all the information you need below. 

What are the requirements for becoming a New Mexico licensed contractor?

Anyone engaged in construction-related contracting in New Mexico must be licensed. This includes general construction work, electrical, mechanical and plumbing and LP gas. The activities that are considered to be contracting in New Mexico are defined in the Construction Industries Licensing Act, NMSA 1978, Section 60-13-3.

New Mexico issues contracting licenses in approximately 100 different classifications. These classifications can be found in the New Mexico Administrative Code, Title 14, Chapter 6.

Contracting without a license in New Mexico is against the law. If a contractor is working without a license, the Division may stop the construction project and file a criminal charge of unlicensed contracting in Metropolitan or Magistrate Court. The Division also has an administrative process that allows an unlicensed contractor to become properly licensed to do work in New Mexico.  Source:  NM State Website

What do I need to do to become a licensed contractor in New Mexico?

  1. You must take and pass the Business & Law Exam as well as the Trades Exam.
    We recommend you prepare for these exams by taking an Exam Prep Course.
  2. Once you have successfully passed BOTH exams you may contact the Construction Industries Division
    Regulation and Licensing Department to request an application packet.
  3. For an application, contact: Construction Industries Division
    Regulation and Licensing Department
    2550 Cerrillos Rd.
    Sante Fe, NM  87505
    Phone:  (505) 476-4700
    Complete application packet must include:

    • Complete Contractor License application
    • Copy of exam score report showing passing scores for Business & Law and Trades exams
    • Proof of Financial responsibility:  Bond
    • Proof of current New Mexico Tax ID number
    • If a Corporation or LLC:  Proof of PRC registration
    • If a partnership:  Proof of registration with the New Mexico Secretary of State
    • Self-addressed stamped envelope to return your application materials if your application is rejected or to send your new license if your application has been accepted


Residential Contractor License Dual Course Package
New Mexico Exam Prep Course


Return to Blog