Michigan Code Official License Renewal Facts

Code Officials in Michigan are required to renew their license every three years by September 16th.
Are you ready for renewal?

Here are a few things you need to know in order to renew.

  1. You should have received a statement at the end of April that shows the continuing education hours and courses you've completed for the license cycle.
  2. Continuing education must be completed and submitted before renewing your license.
    Building Officials - 50 Hours
    Inspectors (of any kind) - 47 Hours
    Plan Reviewers - 47 Hours
    The State of Michigan MUST receive your continuing education no later than 5 p.m. on September 16th.
  3. As an approved provider, Builders License Training Institute provides everything you need to fulfill state requirements for license renewal.

    We've got online video course packages that will save you money and fit all your CE needs.

    Check out our online Code Official Continuing Education Packages today!

  4. Upon course completion, we will submit proof of completing your continuing education to the State of Michigan.  If your continuing education is completed prior to 3:30 p.m. on September 16th, we will be able to submit your continuing education on time.
  5. Renewal notices will be sent to licensees sometime during the end of July or early August.
  6. Licenses will need to be renewed before September 16th of the renewal year.

If you have questions regarding your continued education you may contact Bureau of Construction Codes:

Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Bureau of Construction Codes
Website: http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-10575—,00.html

Building Division
Phone: 517-241-7053


Do you need to complete your continuing education requirements?


Louisiana Contractors Exam Prep FAQs

How do I get my Louisiana Residential Contractor License?

  1. Submit an application to the State Licensing Board for Contractors along with the supporting documents. Here is a link to obtain the application: http://www.lslbc.louisiana.gov/default.htm.
  2. Upon receipt of the application, the State Licensing Board for Contractors will send you an examination scheduling notice with the date of your exam. You will be required to pass a Business and Law exam and the Trade exam for the license you are seeking. - Prepare for the exam with online exam prep - 98% Pass Rate!

Do I have to take the State of Louisiana exams at the Baton Rouge State Licensing Board?

LSLBC will offer computer-based trade exams outside of Baton Rouge in partnership with Bossier Parish Community College, the University of Louisiana at Monroe, LSU-Alexandria, Sowela Tech in Lake Charles and Delgado in New Orleans, the trade examinations will be “local” for all contractors.

Are State of Louisiana exams open book?

This is a closed book exam. A calculator will be provided for your use during the examination. The following is an outline of the subject areas (in descending order of weight) that will be covered in the exam:

  • Rough Carpentry 26%
  • Interior and Exterior Finish 20%
  • Concrete and Rebar 19%
  • Associated Trades 10%
  • Excavation and Site Work 9%
  • Roofing 6%
  • Masonry 5%
  • Plans and Specifications 5%

The examination is made up of 80 multiple-choice questions which are equally weighted. You will have four hours to complete this examination.

How long does it take to complete the Builders License Training Institute Louisiana exam prep courses?

The course takes approximately 8-hours, but we move rapidly through the materials. For a thorough review, you may want to allow twice that amount of time. The NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractor Course should take at least 24-30 hours.

Once you register, you have up to 6 months before your course is deactivated. If you need longer, just give us a call and we can arrange an extension.

Is Continued Education required in order to keep my Louisiana license?

Yes, you are required to complete six hours per year by your original licensing date to renew your Louisiana Contractor License. This increased in January 2012 from four hours to six hours each year.

What happens if I don’t renew my license by my renewal date?

A delinquent penalty of $50 for late renewal of Commercial and Residential contractor licenses may be assessed 15 days following the expiration date. Failure to renew your license within six months after your renewal date will result in forfeiture of your renewal rights and you will have to start all over.

How do I show the State of Louisiana that I’ve completed my annual Continued Education?

Simply mail a copy of your Certificate of completion from our course to:

State Licensing Board for Contractors
252 Quail Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70808

Phone #: (225)765-2301

You do not need to send the Continued Education Form because we have all of the necessary information printed on your certificate.

Does the NASCLA-Accredited Exam replace the Trades exam for Commercial Contractors?

When you pass the NASCLA Accredited Examination for Commercial General Building Contractors, you will be listed in the NASCLA National Examination Database. You will then have this information available for the following states which accept the NASCLA Accredited Examination: AL, AR, GA, LA, MS, NV, NC, OR, SC, TN, UT. US Virgin Islands, VA, and WV. You may also need to take each states’ specific business/law/project management exam in addition to the NASCLA exam.

Do you need Louisiana Contractor Exam Prep or Continuing Education?


Michigan’s Skilled Trades Crisis

Plumbers, electricians, pipefitters, roofers, carpenters, ironworkers, glaziers and other skilled tradespeople are in high demand and short supply in Michigan. Shortages of unskilled workers are also on the rise.


Michigan isn’t the only state affected by a lack of skilled trades workers. It’s becoming increasingly difficult to fill vacant skilled labor positions throughout the entire United States.


A large part of the workforce problem stems from negative perceptions. Young people tend to view these professions as arduous and lacking opportunity for advancement.  High school students are encouraged to forego shop class in exchange for computer science and information technology. The elimination of vocational training in high school has played a major part in the reduction of skilled trades workers everywhere.


Help is on the horizon as Governor Rick Snyders “Marshall Plan for Talent” was announced in February 2018.  His plan is to spend more than $100 million over five years to reconstruct the way Michigan prepares its young people for the workforce.  Funding assistance programs are available through various agencies as Michigan Works, Veterans Administration, and American Indian Tribes. The Builders License Training Institute (a division of Certified Training Institute) is currently offering a nationwide scholarship program for Students and Veterans interested in becoming licensed in the building trades.


There are thousands of job openings across various industries just waiting to be filled. Such trades can prove to be quite lucrative with a median wage of more than $20 per hour.  The demand for workers continues to rise, older tradesmen are reaching retirement. If you’re looking for a long-term career, you might want to consider becoming skilled in one or two of the aforementioned trades.  If you are already established as a tradesperson, encourage the young men and women you know to become licensed. Certified Training Institute offers online Exam Prep for a variety of trades, including Michigan Plumbers and Builders. Whether you want to become licensed or maintain your license, you’ll find it on their website.


Minnesota Residential Builder and Remodeler License Renewal Simplified

Residential building contractor and remodeler licenses are issued for two years at a time, and the renewal deadline is always March 31st.  Half of the licensees renew one year and half the next.  You need 14 hours of continuing education that has been approved by the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI) in order to renew.  You must have at least one hour of energy code included in the 14 hours of education.

All continuing education courses must be approved by the Minnesota DLI, whether they are online or in a classroom.  The provider that you take your continuing education through has to report your completion to the DLI.  If you are acting as the qualifying person for a residential building contractor or remodeler license, you are assigned a “registration number” that begins with a prefix of QB or QR, also referred to as the “Q” number.  This number is used to track your completed education, so be sure that the provider you take your education through has this number.

If you do not renew your license by March 31st, your license will be expired and a late fee of $80 is assessed in order to reinstate it.  If your license remains expired for more than two years, it cannot be renewed and you will have to reapply.

Minnesota has been requiring any building contractor or remodeler who contracts directly with a homeowner to provide building construction services in more than one special skill to be licensed since 1992.  All residential roofers must be licensed.  Minnesota requires the business entity to be licensed, not the individual, although the business owner can be the qualifying officer. 

To get your company licensed, the qualifying officer will need to follow ALL OF THE STEPS provided in the information packet provided by the DLI, including passing a 110-question licensing exam. 

For the fastest and most economical way to complete this education, visit www.licensetobuild.com or give the friendly staff a call at 1-800-727-7104.


7 Ways to Stay Safe and Save Money This Winter

The word SAVE on a digital room thermostat wearing wooly hat.

Even though it seems a bit late this year, winter will eventually be upon us.  The freezing temperatures will not only make your heating bill rise, they could also cause potential hazards to your safety.  By taking the time to follow these seven tips, you will not only save money this winter, but reduce your exposure to hazards.

  1. Seal all air leaks in ductwork with foil faced tape. Duct tape does stick securely to galvanized metal. Add insulation wherever needed.
  2. Install a programmable thermostat and set it at 68 degrees or lower. You will easily save the cost of the thermostat the very first winter.
  3. Make sure all heat registers are not covered up with rugs, furniture or drapes. Air flow is important in maintaining optimum temperatures.
  4. Replace your furnace filter every three months at a minimum and every month during heavy use.
  5. Reverse the blade direction of your ceiling fans in order to circulate the heated air.
  6. Install a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm in your home and place it on the wall 2-3 feet above the floor rather than by the smoke alarms. Carbon monoxide is a heavy hazardous gas that you cannot see, taste or smell.
  7. Make sure your natural gas meter is always clear. Leaves, snow and ice can interfere with the operation and even cause a safety hazard.  Build up can also block natural gas exhaust and air intakes, increasing your risk of CO exposure.

It’s always good practice to conserve energy, but when you can combine it with saving money, it’s even better; not to mention protecting yourself. Weatherization and Energy Efficient Building is just one of the course options we provide to builders and contractors across the nation that will fulfill their builder or contractor license continuing education.


Michigan Code Officials, Inspectors, and Plan Reviewers We Have a Plan for You

Building Officials must complete 50-hours of Continued Education, while, Inspectors and Plan Reviewers need 47-hours of CE before September 16th of 2018. That’s an average of 16-hours per year. Along with getting enough CE, you need to make sure you have enough hours in each of the five topics! Click on the descriptions below to see the different packages offered.

Building Official

Plan ReviewerInspector




Ordering a package with the exact amount of hours required for each topic, and approved by the State of Michigan is the best way to go.  It takes all the guess work out of the renewal process, saves an average of $140 over purchasing individual courses, and gives you access to your courses online 24/7.

Why Should I Take Online Courses?

Completing CE courses online has not only become an industry standard, it’s a welcomed alternative for our busy lifestyles. Trying to complete a 6 hr course all in one sitting is difficult but with any mobile device, internet access and 20 to 30 minutes, you can complete just one lesson at a time. Make use of time spent waiting for a client to show up, a meeting to start or an airline flight.  Even if you can only complete one lesson a day, with over 800 days left until the deadline, you will have completed your continued competency with plenty of time to spare.

worker at bridge construction site

Your course results will be submitted to the state, plus, you’ll have proof/record of your CE in one convenient place and you’ll have peace of mind that you are well on your way to fulfilling all your license renewal requirements.


Michigan Building Code Changes Effective February 8, 2016

Attention Michigan builders and remodelers!  As I’m sure you’ve heard, the State of Michigan will begin enforcing the new 2015 Michigan Residential Code on February 8, 2016.  As part of this new code, the State has adopted the 2015 edition of the International Energy Conservation Code (IECC), edited appropriately for Michigan buildings. The addition of the 2015 IECC code has many Michigan builders and contractors calling us with questions so we thought we would put together a quick list of new requirements that everyone will have to incorporate beginning February 8th.

2015 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) – Chapter 11

As stated above, the 2015 IECC has been adopted as part of the Michigan Residential Code.  The good news is that for the first time in 15 years, builders are now able to purchase one comprehensive code book instead of two or more.  Click here to purchase the new 2015 Michigan Residential Code, including the 2015 IECC.

Blower Door Test – N1102.4.1.2

The Blower Door Test (BDT) is designed to find the source of air leakage in new homes (post-construction) or existing homes (prior to remodeling). The 2009 IECC offered contractors the choice between a visual test and the blower door test, allowing for flexibility.  However, the 2015 IECC requires a BDT on all residential new construction.  Furthermore, to avoid conflict of interest, builders and contractors are not permitted to perform their own BDT’s and must hire an independent 3rd-party to complete the testing, average cost running between $250 – $450 USD.

Electrical Code Arc-Breakers

No longer required for new residential construction builds

Basement Egress Windows – R310.6

When finishing or remodeling existing basements to create additional living space, builders must install egress windows in any basement room that is designated as a sleeping room.  Egress windows are no longer required when basement finishing or remodeling is limited to laundry rooms, family rooms, exercise rooms, etc.

  • NOTE: All counties and local municipalities interpret this code differently. It is always a good idea to contact your local Building Inspector to find out how codes are enforced and interpreted.

Carbon Monoxide Alarms – R315

The old 2009 code only required that carbon monoxide alarms be powered by a 9volt battery. The new 2015 code requires that all carbon monoxide alarms are now:

  • Inter-connected with the smoke alarms
  • Complete with a battery back-up
  • Wired to the buildings wiring system

The required locations for the carbon monoxide alarms remains unchanged from the 2009 IECC.

Decking – R507

In previous versions of the Michigan Residential Building Code there was only one sentence regarding deck construction.  The new 2015 code provides more than 4 pages of instruction on how to properly build a deck.

  • Joist and Beam Span Tables
    • Now compatible with wet-use environment and incised treated lumber
  • Sizing provisions for Posts
  • Foundation Details

These are just a handful of the topics covered in the 2015 code book. 


For the best new way to complete your education requirements,

visit www.licensetobuild.com or give the friendly staff a call



Massachusetts CSL Continuing Education Renewal Guide

Do I need to complete continuing education to renew my Massachusetts license?

Any construction supervisor or CSL with a license expiration date of July 1, 2013 or after will need to comply with the continuing education requirements. A licensed construction supervisor must complete continuing education every 2 years in order to renew their license.


1) Unrestricted Construction Supervisors (identified as Construction Supervisor License on the license card) must attain at least 12 hours of approved continuing education requirements.


2) Restricted Construction Supervisors (identified as 1 and 2 Family License on the license card) must complete at least 10 hours of approved continuing education.


3) Specialty Construction Supervisors must complete at least 6 hours of approved continuing education. Specialty categories include:

  1. Masonry Roofing
  2. Windows
  3. Siding
  4. Demolition
  5. Solid Fuel Burning
  6. Insulation

The maximum number of hours required for any given licensee is 12 hours, regardless of how many categories appear on the license card. A person who is licensed in a specialty category, whether one, two or all six, needs only to complete 6 hours of approved continuing education credit.


Massachusetts CSL Approved Courses Listed Here


How do I renew my Massachusetts Construction Supervisor License (CSL)?

  • Complete the required continuing education credits. 


  • Request a renewal application from DPS by email. 
    See: Request for CSL Renewal Form (Check your spam or junk folders for a “Renewal Notice Enclosed” item from “EOPSS MA”) 


  • Allow up to 3 days to receive your renewal form.
  • Complete and mail in the renewal application.  Attach payment and CEU certificates.



MA Licenses must be renewed every two years, the renewal fee is $100.00.  There is a one year grace period to renew licenses after expiration.  For an additional fee of $100.00, licenses can be renewed up to two years after expiration.

Builders License Training Institute offers a variety of CSL approved continuing education courses for contractors to choose from.

For Unrestricted Construction Supervisors there are five 12-Hr course packages click here for a complete list (All of our packages include a “6-hour Massachusetts Required Competency”course)


Restricted Constructed Supervisors also have two 10-Hr course packages containing 4-Hrs. in continuing education and 6-Hrs in “Massachusetts Required Competency.”


For the fastest and most economical way to complete this education visit www.licensetobuild.com or give the friendly staff a call at: 1-800-727-7104

Subscribe to our Blog and Follow us on Twitter @ConEdTraining to receive periodic updates on licensing information changes and deadlines, as well as exclusive discounts.


How to Become A Certified Lead Paint Renovator in Michigan

Did you know…

If you are working on a pre-1978 home or child occupied facility and have NOT been certified as a Lead Paint Renovator, you could be fined up to $37,500.00. While the EPA doesn’t always hit you for this full amount, this is being enforced and they are fining contractors. To avoid exposing children to the harmful effects of lead poisoning and lead dust, plus to avoid a hefty fine, you must become a Certified LEAD Renovator.

To become a LEAD Certified Renovator you must:

  • Attend an 8-hour EPA approved Lead Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) Training Course.


  • Participate in all Hands-on sections during the course.


  • Pass the 30 question test at the end of the course.  


  • Submit a $300.00 fee to the EPA along with Certificate of completion
    • If you own your own business you will send in your Firm Certification Fee in order to certify your Firm as the qualifying Individual. 


How to Renew my Lead Paint Renovator Certification

Your certification is good for 5 years. Before the 5 year cycle is up, you will be required to complete a 4-Hour Lead Paint RRP Refresher course. Once the course is completed contractors will take a 20 question exam.  A copy of your original Certification must be provided to the instructor in order to receive your renewal certification. Your Firm Certification including the FEE can then be submitted to the EPA.

The 8-HR Initial and 4-HR Refresher courses both meet the 3 required approval levels:

  1. Fulfills the 4-Hour Federal Requirement for the Certified Renovator Refresher course.

  2. Fulfills 4 hours of Continued Competency for the Michigan Residential Builders and Maintenance and Alteration Contractors Licensees.
    • This applies for those who need 21-HR of CE. This does not fulfill the 3-HR Code, Law, Safety requirements. 

  3. Fulfills 4 hours of Continued Education for the Michigan Real Estate Licensees.


The Home Builders Association of Grand Traverse Area (HBAGTA) will be offering a certification course on December 18, 2015 in Traverse City, MI. This course will be taught by BLTI instructors. To sign up for this course click here



Complete your Continuing Education Now!

For the fastest and most economical way to complete this education visit www.licensetobuild.com or give the friendly staff a call at: 1-800-727-7104

Subscribe to our Blog and Follow us on Twitter @ConEdTraining to receive periodic updates on licensing information changes and deadlines, as well as exclusive discounts.


Attention All Utah Contractors!

T-Minus 28 Days

November 30th, is the licensing renewal deadline for all building contractors in the state of Utah. Contractors are required to complete 6-Hrs. Continuing Education each licensing cycle. 3 hours must be “Core” courses and the other 3 may be either “Professional” or “Core”.  Builders License Training Institute (BLTI) is offering an online CEU course that qualify for 6-hrs “Core”. 

What course?

BLTI is offering building contractors the 2010 ADA Standards: Real World Application, as a special CE course. This six hour video course covers the second chapter of the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design. The material is presented by simple narration and power point video, as well as on-site, real world video examples in various accessible buildings, used by both the public and by private businesses. 

Contractors will…

  • Recognize how the overall philosophy of the Americans with Disabilities Act can, and does create an environment of opportunity and non-discrimination.


  • Be able to recognize what facilities can, and should comply with ADA standards.


  • Outline at least one design strategy based on ADA standards for the construction of either a public or private building.


Complete your Continuing Education Now!

For the fastest and most economical way to complete this education visit www.licensetobuild.com or give the friendly staff a call at: 1-800-727-7104

Subscribe to our Blog and Follow us on Twitter @ConEdTraining to receive periodic updates on licensing information changes and deadlines, as well as exclusive discounts.