Return to Blog
Ecologist an opposes of environmental pollution

How to Become A Certified Lead Paint Renovator in Michigan

Did you know…

If you are working on a pre-1978 home or child occupied facility and have NOT been certified as a Lead Paint Renovator, you could be fined up to $37,500.00. While the EPA doesn’t always hit you for this full amount, this is being enforced and they are fining contractors. To avoid exposing children to the harmful effects of lead poisoning and lead dust, plus to avoid a hefty fine, you must become a Certified LEAD Renovator.

To become a LEAD Certified Renovator you must:

  • Attend an 8-hour EPA approved Lead Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) Training Course.


  • Participate in all Hands-on sections during the course.


  • Pass the 30 question test at the end of the course.  


  • Submit a $300.00 fee to the EPA along with Certificate of completion
    • If you own your own business you will send in your Firm Certification Fee in order to certify your Firm as the qualifying Individual. 


How to Renew my Lead Paint Renovator Certification

Your certification is good for 5 years. Before the 5 year cycle is up, you will be required to complete a 4-Hour Lead Paint RRP Refresher course. Once the course is completed contractors will take a 20 question exam.  A copy of your original Certification must be provided to the instructor in order to receive your renewal certification. Your Firm Certification including the FEE can then be submitted to the EPA.

The 8-HR Initial and 4-HR Refresher courses both meet the 3 required approval levels:

  1. Fulfills the 4-Hour Federal Requirement for the Certified Renovator Refresher course.

  2. Fulfills 4 hours of Continued Competency for the Michigan Residential Builders and Maintenance and Alteration Contractors Licensees.
    • This applies for those who need 21-HR of CE. This does not fulfill the 3-HR Code, Law, Safety requirements. 

  3. Fulfills 4 hours of Continued Education for the Michigan Real Estate Licensees.


The Home Builders Association of Grand Traverse Area (HBAGTA) will be offering a certification course on December 18, 2015 in Traverse City, MI. This course will be taught by BLTI instructors. To sign up for this course click here



Complete your Continuing Education Now!

For the fastest and most economical way to complete this education visit or give the friendly staff a call at: 1-800-727-7104

Subscribe to our Blog and Follow us on Twitter @ConEdTraining to receive periodic updates on licensing information changes and deadlines, as well as exclusive discounts.

Return to Blog

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *