Employers are required to train workers and handlers annually before pesticide application, according to the EPA’s Worker Protection Standard (WPS).
What is the Worker Protection Standard?
Enforced by the Environmental Protection Agency, the WPS protects the health and safety of agricultural workers. The goal of WPS is to reduce injury and health risk of people who work with pesticides.
WPS requires employers to provide pesticide training that covers the following topics:
- Pesticide product safety
- Reading labels
- Following directions
- Pesticide application
- Best health practices during application
- Restricted Entry Intervals training
- Posting signage to protect workers from entering areas that have been recently sprayed
- Use of protective equipment
- Pesticide handling
- Decontamination practices
Do I need to comply with the WPS?
- YES if you’re an employer at an agricultural or commercial business that handles pesticides, including farms, forests, nurseries, and greenhouses.
- YES if you employ agricultural workers who work in places sprayed with pesticides within the last 30 days or have high-contact agricultural tasks like weeding, moving irrigation equipment, pruning, and harvesting.
How do I comply with the WPS?
You can complete WPS training for all of your employees using an EPA-approved video course.
Certified Training Institute's program comes in English and Spanish and complies with all EPA requirements. The package also presents, tracks and organizes all worker training and documentation.
Upon completion of the video course, employers must also provide access to specific information including:
- Applications on the establishment
- Safety data sheets for pesticides applied
- Poster displays with pesticide safety and emergency information
The online video course breaks down how to do it all. This program makes WPS compliance easy and straightforward. No more worrying about scheduling training, organizing logistics, or tracking records and paperwork, this system does it all. For more information on how you can train your employees, click here.
Do You Employ Workers and Handlers?
Visit www.wpstraining.us for online, EPA approved, video Worker Protection Standard training programs in English and Spanish.
Start Your State-Approved Continuing Education Today