Return to Blog
Utah Contractor Exam Prep

How To Get A Utah Contractor License

How do I become licensed as an R100 or B100 Utah contractor?

  1. Complete a State approved 20-hour pre-licensure live education program. The program must include the following topics:
    • 10 hours of financial responsibility
    • 6 hours of construction business practices
    • 2 hours of regulatory requirements
    • 2 hours of mechanic lien fundamentals
  2. Pass the Business Law exam and the exam for the type of license you are seeking.  You must pass the required exams prior to submitting your application to the State of Utah.  The exams can be taken through PSI Examination Services at any of these testing locations:   Hurricane, North Orem, North Salt Lake City, or Sunset. - Business & Law and License Specific Exam Prep!
  3. Once you’ve passed the exam,  send your passing score, license application, and work experience documentation to the State of Utah.  The license application packet and instructions for completing the application are included with our course.  The application will need to be mailed to:
    Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL)
    P.O. Box 146741
    Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
    (801) 530-6628
    Or visit their website at:
    You can also submit the application in person to their office at
    160 East 300 South, 1st Floor
    Salt Lake City, UT 84111

Is a NASCLA commercial contractor license accepted in Utah?

Yes, when you pass the NASCLA Accredited Examination for Commercial General Building Contractors, you will be listed in the NASCLA National Examination Database. You will then have this information available for the following states which accept the NASCLA Accredited Examination: AL, AR, GA, LA, MS, NV, NC, OR, SC, TN, UT, US Virgin Islands, VA, and WV. - Online NASCLA exam prep.

You may also need to take each states’ specific business/law/project management exam in addition to the NASCLA exam. 

Where do I go to take the 20-Hour Utah Contractor Prelicense Course?

There are only a handful of providers approved to provide the 20-hour Utah Contractor Prelicense program.  Here is a link to those providers:

What is the difference between a General Building Contractors License (B100) and a Residential & Small Commercial Contractors License (R100)? 

General Building Contractors License (B100) – B100 license holders are able to work on a building or structure of any kind. This includes remodeling, repairing, building, etc. However, licensees may not do any plumbing, electrical, or mechanical work. Strictly structural type of work.

Residential & Small Commercial Contractors License (R100) – R100 license holders may work on residential property & and on small commercial projects. “Residential” is considered anything that is a single or multi-family home and has 4 units or less. “Small Commercial” is considered anything 3 stories or less, and doesn’t have any more than 20,000 sq. ft.

Are there requirements prior to getting a contractor license in Utah?

Experience Requirements
In the past 10 years, a minimum of two years of full-time related experience, one year of which shall be in a supervisory or managerial position for applicants of the following contractor classifications:
E100-General Engineering
B100-General Building
R100-Residential and Small Commercial

In the past 10 years, a minimum of two years of full-time related experience for applicants of the following contractor  classifications:
S290-General Masonry
S320-Steel Erection
S350-Heating Ventilating and Air Conditioning
S370-Fire Suppression

In the past 10 years, a minimum of two years of full-time related experience for applicants of all other contractor class not listed above, excluding electrical and plumbing.

Liability Insurance

All contractors must carry continuous liability insurance. You must report your insurance provider, policy number, expiration date and aggregate coverage in excess of $300,000 on your renewal form.

Workers Compensation

Contractors must carry workers’ compensation insurance for all employees and certain owner-workers. You must report the name of your provider, the policy number and the expiration on your renewal form.



Return to Blog