Parking lots can be a dangerous place for anyone who works late or parks in a remote area. Individuals who find themselves in this position can take steps to prevent an attack.
- Park in highly visible, well-lit areas if possible.
- Avoid parking near shrubs or vans with sliding doors that could conceal attackers
- Avoid parking garage stairs unless you are with a group of people
- Do not leave anything of value in your car. Assailants often search cars for valuables and wait for the owners to return.
- Once inside your car lock all doors. Even if you are moving slowly you are still subject to attack.
- Back into parking spaces if possible, this allows for a quicker getaway.
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you are on your phone make sure you are still paying attention to where you are. Avoid places where someone could hide.