State Requirements

Do I need continuing education credits to maintain my North Carolina structural pesticide applicators license?

Structural Applicators are broken into 3 phases depending on the work performed. 

Phase P - Household Pests
Phase W - Wood Destroying Pests
Phase F - Fumigation

Individuals licensed in one phase must complete 10 CCUs including 5 solely applicable to the appropriate phase.
Individuals licensed in two phases must complete 15 CCUs including 5 solely applicable to each appropriate phase.
Individuals licensed in three phases must complete 20 CCUs including 5 solely applicable to each appropriate phase.

Frequently Asked Questions

All that is required to obtain your North Carolina Applicator’s License is to pass the exam and pay the exam and licensing fee.

Examination Fees:

  • Core, Dealer, Worker Protection Designated Trainer, Aerial, and Consultant - $50 each
  • Ornamental and Turf, Right-of-Way, Forestry, Public Health, Ag Pest Animal, Pet Grooming, Poultry, Ag Pest Plant, Seed Treatment, Demonstration and Research, Wood Treatment, Regulatory, and Aquatic - $20 each
  • Private - $10

License Fees (per year):

  • Ground, Aerial, Consultant, Public Utility, and Dealer - $75 each
  • Private Applicator - $10
  • Public – No Fee
  • Aircraft Inspections - $25
  • 10 Credits - Ornamental & Turf, Demonstration & Research, Ag Pest Plant
  • 6 Credits - Aquatic, Public Health, Forest, Regulatory, AG Pest Livestock/Pet/Poultry
  • 5 Credits - Dealer
  • 4 Credits - Right-of-Way, Wood Treatment, Private Safety, Private Specialty, Aerial Methods
  • 3 Credits - Seed Treatment

Yes! All our courses are state approved for structural certification ONLY. Online courses are not currently available for agricultural certification or licensing. Approval numbers are listed after the course title.

  • Private Applicators - Certification is required for private applicators (usually farmers) who wish to apply restricted-use pesticides to their agricultural commodity. These applicators are certified for three (3) years and the fee is $10 every three years.
  • Commercial Applicators – Licensing is required for the following applicators:
    • Applicators applying any type of pesticide for compensation
    • Public operators working for a state or local government that apply pesticides in the course of their work
    • Pest control consultants making recommendations for pesticide treatment of pest problems
    • The license must be renewed annually, and the fee is usually $75 per year. The licensing year operates on the calendar year (January – December).

Classifications of Commercial Applicators include the following:

  • Commercial Ground Applicators: The applicator is required to pass a certification exam appropriate to the type of application in wish the applicant chooses to work. North Carolina law requires that all individuals applying pesticide for compensation obtain licensing.
  • Public Ground Operators: This classification is reserved for employees of federal, state, county or municipal governments who apply pesticides in the course of their jobs. They are certified and licensed in the same manner as commercial applicators but no fee is charged for the public operator license. Use of the license is restricted to applications made as a government employee. Employees of public utilities are considered public operators but must pay a fee for their license.
  • Private Pesticide Applicators: Farmers (or their employees) who use restricted use pesticides during the production of their agricultural commodity. The application must be made on land that they own or lease, and applicators must be certified as Private Pesticide Applicators.
  • Aerial Applicators: This licensing classification applies to those applicators who will apply pesticides with a plan or helicopter. The aerial applicator is required to pass two exams: one in aerial methods and one in the specialty area in which they will work. Certification for aerial applicators is two years, with an annual license renewal also required.
  • Pesticide Dealers: Individuals who distribute, sell, hold, or make restricted use pesticides available to end users are required to have a Pesticide Dealer’s Licensee.
  • Pest Control Consultants: This level of licensing is reserved for individuals who intend to offer or supply technical advice, supervision or recommends the use of pesticides for a fee. Individuals applying for this license must hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher in a biological or agricultural science, with specific coursework relevant to the area of



The State of North Carolina currently has 15 categories and subcategories for pesticide licensing. For more information on the licensing categories, click here.

A – Aquatic
B – Public Health
D – Dealer
G – Forest
H – Right-Of-Way
I – Regulatory
K – Ag Pest Livestock/Pet/Poultry
L – Ornamental & Turf
M – Seed Treatment
N – Demonstration & Research
O – Ag Pest Plant
P – Aerial Methods
T – Wood Treatment
V – Private Safety
X – Private Specialty

Yes! North Carolina has reciprocal agreements with several states for certain types of applicators. Click here for more information.

North Carolina Department of Agriculture
Physical Address:
2 West Edenton Street   
Raleigh, NC 27601

Main Mailing Address:
1001 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1001