Overview and Management
Most people visibly cringe when they hear the words "bed bugs". Structural applicators know that managing a bed bug infestation is difficult on many levels. This course looks at the history of bed bugs, current integrated pest management approaches to preventing and managing an infestation, and several of the chemical options available when your non-chemical controls and methods have failed.
After completing this course participants will be able to:
- Speak confidently to clients and residents concerning chemical and non-chemical controls.
- Accurately differentiate between bed bugs and bat bugs.
- Positively identify the signs of a bed bug infestation.
Chapter 1 – Bed Bugs: Overview and Management
- History of Bed Bugs
- Bed Bug vs. Bat Bug
- Early Treatment
- Use of DDT
- Bed Bug Resurgence
- Urban Treatment Difficulties
- Bed Bug Reproduction
- Identifying a Bed Bug
- Species of Bed Bugs
- Living Conditions
- Signs of Bed Bugs
- Bed Bug Behavior and Habits
- Life Stages/Mating
- Bed Bug Control
- Killing Bed Bugs by Hand
- Steam Cleaning
- Dry Heat Treatment
- Using Pesticides
- Pyrethrins and Pyrethroids
- Combination Products
- Total Release Foggers
- Insect Growth Regulators
Chapter 2 – Case Studies
- Circulating Collections Returned from Infested Homes
- Infestation in a Library Staff Area
- Infestation in the Public Area of the Library
- Pest Management Strategies for Bed Bugs in Multiunit Housing – Part 1
- Pest Management Strategies for Bed Bugs in Multiunit Housing – Part 2
Course instructors will be available by email or telephone between 9am and 6pm Eastern Standard Time. They will assist you with questions regarding course content.
If you have any questions, please call us at 1-800-727-7104 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Email responses will usually be returned promptly, but guaranteed within one business day.