Reading the Pesticide Label:
Beyond the Basics
This training will cover many sections of a pesticide label and safety data sheets. Labels are increasing in complexity and depth of information. It is never suggested that anyone try to memorize a pesticide label. By reviewing parts of a label and recognizing label language and use, we hope that you feel more comfortable with the information on pesticide labels and feel confident in understanding the information the present. Many examples of labels are used in this training that cover a variety of types of pesticides and also represent a variety of sites. It's essential that we look at REAL label language and not simply make generic statements to evaluate.
There is no endorsement for any company or product by representation of information in this training. All material presented is for educational purposes only and is not intended to purposefully include or exclude any company, tradename, product, use, proprietary, or any other information. Whenever you have questions about interpretations of label language, we encourage you to contact your local extension, land-grant university, department of agriculture, product dealer, or the manufacturer for more information.
After completing this course participants will be able to:
- Discuss different types of pesticide registrations.
- Identify where to find specific information on the pesticide label.
- Identify pests and site usage according to the label, and recognize information on safety data sheets.
- Overview and Objectives
- EPA Approval
- Testing of Products
- Types of Pesticides
- Pesticide Registrations
- When to Read the Pesticide Label
- Parts of the Label: Required Information
- Parts of the Label: Use Classification Statement
- Parts of the Label: Use Classification Statement (cont.)
- Agricultural vs Non-Agricultural Use
- A Closer Look at Personal Protective Equipment
- Respirator Requirements
- First Aid Statements
- Exposure Precautions
- Physical and Chemical Hazards
- Directions for Use
- How to Use this Product
- Target Pests
- Soil Limitations
- Integrated Pest Management
- Other Product Specific Statements
- Environmental Hazards
- Endangered Species Protection
- Pollinator Protection
- Application Rates
- Target Crop Rates
- Host Plant Rates
- Soil Type
- Other Application Notes
- Application Rates (cont.)
- Tank Mixing
- Compatibility Test
- Phytotoxicity Warning
- Additional Protections
- Storage and Disposal
- Safety Data Sheets
- Label Review
Course instructors will be available by email or telephone between 9am and 5pm Eastern Standard Time. They will assist you with questions regarding course content.
If you have any questions, please call us at 1-800-727-7104 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Email responses will usually be returned promptly, but guaranteed within one business day.