Cage Trapping Techniques
Cage and box traps play an important role in the management of vertebrate pests in urban and suburban environments. These devices capture animals by imprisoning them in a wire cage or box with solid walls. Their simple construction and perceived humaneness lead many to mistakenly believe that these devices require little training to master. This course will review the differences between cage and box traps and how to use those differences to achieve control goals. Likewise, students will learn the three main trapping sets, effective baits, safe and humane use of the traps, and how to reduce non-target captures. After this class, you will never see cage/box trapping in the same way again.
After completing this course participants will be able to:
- Identify the parts of cage and box traps.
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of different features in cage/box traps and how retail traps differ from commercial traps.
- Know foundational ways to use cage/box traps to improve capture efficacy and improve humaneness.
- Understand the importance of disease safety for both the wildlife control operator and the client.
- Definitions: live trap, cage trap, and box trap
- Key parts of the cage trap
- Varieties of cage traps
- Retail versus professional traps
- How and why cage traps should be modified
- Concerns about the use of box traps
- Legal issues involved with cage/box traps
- Trapping principles: placement, location, safety, and timing
- Trap maintenance
- Wildlife damage
- Types of sets
- Baited sets
- Activity tests
- Baiting principles
- Baiting for raccoons, skunks, and squirrels
- Trail bait or bait behind treadle
- Audible lures
- Trap maintenance
- Disease prevention
- Disease prevention and safety
- Practical application
Customer service representatives are available to assist you with questions regarding course content.
If you have any questions, please call us at 1-800-727-7104 or send an email to email@example.com. Email responses will usually be returned promptly, but guaranteed within one business day.