Seed Treatment Product Safety
In the last ten years there has been a resurgence of treated seed use, largely due to the advent of improved chemical performance. We as agricultural producers are obviously concerned about the more modern applications of these processes, not only because they have been found to be beneficial to early crop protection but especially because they have been of concern to the safety of humans and the environment. This course will outline the benefits and risks associated with treated seed products.
After completing this course in its entirety, participants will be able to:
- Weigh the benefits of treated seed products against the concerns for both human and environmental safety.
- Outline the different types of seed treatment methods, dressings and manufacturing processes.
- Be able to describe and integrate important safety guidelines based on EPA risk assessment recommendations.
- Describe the environmental impact of seed treatment processes, and best practices as environmental stewards.
- Markets at a glance
- Use trends
Safety Perspective—Asking the Right Questions
- Risk to benefit
- Potential health risks
- Chemical exposure pathways
Safety Perspective—Where to find the right answers
- Product label
- Safety data sheet
Seed Treatment Methods
- Engineering Controls
- Work practices
- Personal hygiene
- Personal protective equipment (PPE)
Safety Guidelines – Cont.
Environmental Impacts and Stewardship
- Pollinator myths exposed
- Best management practices
- Environmental impacts to other non-target organisms
- Environmental impacts
- Seed Treatment Operator Safety Guidelines
- Seed Treatment and Safety Regulations
Course instructors will be available by email or telephone between 9am and 5pm Eastern Standard Time. They will assist you with questions regarding course content.
If you have any questions, please call us at 1-800-727-7104 or send an email to email@example.com. Email responses will usually be returned promptly, but guaranteed within one business day.