In September of 2014, Realtor Beverly Carter went missing after showing a home in her hometown. It is said that Carter was targeted because she was a rich woman who worked alone. She went to a showing under false pretenses and as a result, was murdered. Beverly Carter did everything she was supposed to do as a Realtor working alone, she contacted family members, and gave them the exact location of her open house and notified them the times she was going to be there.
Since the tragic death of Beverly Carter, the Real Estate industry has made changes to their safety protocols. The National Association of Realtors (NAR) proclaimed September to be REALTOR® Safety Month to help spread awareness.
Real Estate Training Institute is participating this September in REALTOR® Safety Month. Together with instructor Preston Taylor, we have created a 4-hour Personal Safety and Self-Defense online continued education course. This course will cover 5 main topics:
- Legal Environment:This section covers your legal rights, what you can and cannot do in a situation. You do have the right to defend yourself against an assault. A common sense approach to self-defense is that avoidance is one of the best ways to insure your safety.
- Physical Limitations:This section covers the 11 rules of engagement as well as what happens to our body, without our consent, when suddenly attacked. Freeze, Flight, or Fight.
- Safety Is Your Responsibility:This section covers the importance of the three R’s: Recognize, Respond, and Reduce.
- Safety and Real Estate Showings:This section covers the importance and awareness of liability for the client, the Realtor, and material items in the home.
- Self Defense Tactics: This section covers three methods of defense when force is the last resort.
About the Instructor
Personal Safety and Self Defense instructor, Preston Taylor (PT) has worked in law enforcement for over 20 years, is a Police Academy Instructor, and a Defensive Tactics Instructor for over 15 years. He has also been a speaker/trainer for the National Association of Realtors and the Michigan Association of Realtors.