Michigan builders are required to have access to the 2015 Michigan Code Book by their renewal date, May 31st, 2017. The new code book is based off the 2015 International Building Code Book, with slight changes made by the state. While most of the book remains the same, lines, arrows, and bullets are used to designate changes made by Michigan or the International Building Code (IBC).
|DOUBLE VERTICAL LINES||Show amendments and changes to the IBC code book by Michigan.|
|SINGLE VERTICAL LINE||A change from the 2012 code book, implemented by the IBC.|
|SINGLE BULLET||Marks code that has been moved from its location in the 2012 code book.|
|DOUBLE BULLET||Marks the new location of codes moved in the 2012 code book.|
|ARROW||Present where a section of code deleted from the code book by the ICC.|
|ASTRISK||Appear near sections of the code that Michigan has decided not to adopt.|
STILL NEED TO RENEW YOUR MICHIGAN BUILDERS LICENSE?
- Complete your state-required continuing education. Courses are available online or in person.
- Go to the LARA website to renew your license online. There will be a $150 renewal fee, fees must be paid by Visa, MasterCard, DiscoverCard, or electronic check.
*Don’t own a credit card? Prepaid credit cards are available at most gas stations & grocery stores.
- Save your continuing education certificates for 6 years in case of a state audit.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DON’T RENEW YOUR MICHIGAN BUILDERS LICENSE?
You are not legally allowed to work as a builder in the state of Michigan if your license has expired. Charges and steps for reinstatement depend on the duration of your license lapse.
|Duration of Lapse||Reinstatement Steps||Fees|
|Less than 60 days||1. Complete online renewal process
2. Pay $20 late fee in addition to the $150 renewal fee
|61 days – 3 years||1. Fill out a reinstatement application
2. Pay $35 late fees in addition to the $150 renewal fee
|More than 3 years||1. Complete 60 hour prelicense course – available online or in person.
2. Send an application to Michigan
3. Pass Builder Exam
MICHIGAN BUILDERS CONTINUING EDUCATION COURSES