Certified contractor licenses are statewide and allow you to work as a contractor anywhere in Florida. Certified contractors renew their license by August 31 each even-numbered year. Registered contractor licenses are limited to certain local jurisdictions and only allow you to work in the cities or counties where you hold a certificate of competency. Registered contractors renew their license by August 31 each odd-numbered year.
How much continuing education do I need to renew my Florida Contractors license?
All Registered Contractors and Certified Contractors are required to complete fourteen (14) hours of continuing education each renewal cycle. Of the fourteen hours, one hour is required in each of the following topics:
- Specialized or Advanced Module that is approved by the Florida Building Commission
- Workplace Safety
- Business Practices
- Worker’s Compensation
- Laws and Rules Regulating the Construction Industry
- Wind Mitigation Methodologies (if license is held in the following category: General, Building, Residential, Roofing, Specialty Structure, or Glass & Glazing.
The remaining hours may include any of the above topics or general topics in the industry.
Where can I go to complete my continuing education?
Students can get all their required continuing education completed online. The Builders License Training Institute offers many 14-hour course packages and individual courses that designed specifically for Florida contractors.
“Your Florida 14-Hour narrated courses are excellent! I learned a lot and enjoyed the course. You make it easy for those of us who are not computer savvy.”
Florida State Law requires that all construction contractor applicants to establish that they are both financially responsible and financially stable prior to issuance of their licenses. Contractors must maintain a financial stability while licensed. Builders License Training Institute also has two courses that meet the Florida “financial responsibilities” requirement.
- 7-Hour Florida Financial Responsibilities: Effective Business Strategies – #0610623
- 7-Hour Florida Online Contracts, Liability and Risk Management – #0610130