How do I get my Alabama pesticide applicator's license?

Private Applicators –
• Step 1 - Complete the $10 pesticide application test with a score of 70% or higher. Click here for information on our Exam Prep Course!
• Step 2 – Complete training
• Step 3 – Pay $25 fee to request permit

Commercial Applicators –
• Step 1 – Pass the appropriate exams through the Alabama Department of Agriculture. Click here for information on our Exam Prep Course!
• Step 2 – Complete the application
• Step 3 – Pay the $45 fee to the state of Alabama

Do I need continuing education credits to maintain my Alabama pesticide applicators license?

Yes, Alabama Pesticide permits are valid for 3 years. Applicators must acquire 30 points in the three year period. 4 hours of training are equal to 10 points.

Are your courses state approved for Alabama applicator re-certification credits?

Yes! All of our courses are state approved. Approval numbers are listed after the course title.

What classifications of applicator's licensing does Alabama have?

The Alabama Department of Agriculture recognizes the following classification of applicator licensing:
• Private Applicators – an individual who applies or supervises the application of any restricted use pesticides on agricultural commodities on property owned or rented without compensation.
• Commercial Applicators – an individual who applies or supervises the application of any restricted use pesticides with compensation.

What are the categories and subcategories for Alabama pesticide licensing?

The State of Alabama currently has 24 categories and subcategories for pesticide licensing. Applicators holding a commercial license will need to pass the core exam along with at least one of these specialties. Click here for more information about the categories.
(AIR) Aerial Mode of Operation
(ACF) Agricultural Commodity Fumigation Commercial
(AP) Agricultural Pest Control – Plant Commercial
(AA) Agricultural Pest Control – Animal Commercial
(AQ) Aquatic Pest Control Commercial
(D&R) Demonstration & Research Commercial
(FOR) Forest Pest Control Commercial
(FB & FC) Fumigation Pest Control
(GRND) Ground Equipment Mode
(HPC & HPB) Household Pest Control
(IIHC) Industrial, Institutional, & Health Related Pest Control Commercial
(LD) Landscape Horticulturalist Landscape Design
(SLP) Landscape Planter & Setting of Landscape Plant
(MS) Metam Sewer Control Commercial
Mosquito Control Services Commercial
(OTPC & OTPS) Ornamental & Turf Pest Control Commercial
(PH) Public Health Control Commercial
(REG) Regulatory Commercial
(RUP) Restricted Use Dealer
(ROW) Right-of-Way Pest Control Commercial
(ST) Seed Treatment Commercial
(TS) Tree Surgery Commercial
(WDS & WDC) Wood Destroying Organisms Commercial
(WT) Wood Treatment Commercial

Does the State of Alabama offer reciprocity with other states?

Yes! Alabama offers reciprocity with Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Mississippi, Ohio, South Carolina, or Tennessee. Individuals wishing to apply pesticides under a reciprocity agreement must fill out the appropriate application.


How does it work?

  • $159 will train your whole staff for a year (up to 25 employees)
  • Training can be completed as often as needed for up to 25 employees.
  • Employees can watch the video course individually or all at once
  • Certificates will be available for each worker at the end of the course

Who is an Agricultural Worker?

An agricultural worker is anyone who works in a field that has been sprayed with pesticides within the last 30 days or does high-contact agricultural tasks such as weeding, moving irrigation equipment, pruning, and harvesting. Workers DO NOT handle pesticides.

Who is a Handler?

A handler is anyone who assists with applications, mixes, loads, or transfers pesticides into application equipment, cleans repairs, or maintains application equipment, works on equipment that has been used to mix, load, or apply, disposes of pesticides or materials with pesticides on them, acts as a flagger, performs tasks as a crop adviser, or applies pesticides.

Which Establishments are Required to Provide Worker Protection Standard Training?

The Worker Protection Standard (WPS) applies to all establishments involved in growing, producing, or maintaining for sale agricultural plants (including ornamental plants).
This may include, but is not limited to:

  • Nurseries, garden centers, or other similar operations where plants are maintained for sale (retail or wholesale).
  • All Crop producing farms. 
  • Dairy farms that produce hay for cattle.
  • Forestry Operations
  • Golf courses that produce their own sod
  • Public park operations that produce their own plants
  • Prisons that have "Prison Farms" where agricultural plants are produced and the prisoners are employed as workers or handlers. 
  • The WPS also applies to any establishment operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment that applies WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural establishments or provides crop advising services for an agricultural establishment.

Which Pesticide Applicators are covered by the WPS?

Most establishments covered by the WPS are crop producing such as farms, forest operations or nurseries. WPS also covers family owned agricultural operations even if only family members handle and work around pesticides. Essentially, WPS applies to any entity that grows, maintains or produces agricultural plants.

The following facilities or operations that are not generally recognized as traditional agricultural production establishments are covered by the rule if they use WPS-labeled pesticide products:

  • Nurseries, garden centers or other similar operations
  • Dairy farms if they produce hay for cattle feed.
  • Golf courses that produce sod or ornamentals for their course
  • Public parks or privately-held ornamental garden operations that produce ornamental plants
  • Theme parks, hotels, or other entertainment operations that produce ornamentals for their locations
  • Prisons that have “prison farms” where plants are produced by employed prisoners
  • University extension agricultural research facilities that conduct research on agricultural plants
  • Educational classes or vocational agriculture programs where plant production is completed by students and students receive compensation or reduced tuition
  • Pine straw harvesting/production operations.
  • Government-owned or managed agricultural operations.

The WPS also applies to any entity operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment applying or advising the application of WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural commodities

What does Worker Protection Standard require?

All employers must provide EPA approved pesticide training for workers and handlers. Employers must also provide access to specific information including: applications on the establishment, safety data sheets for pesticides applied on establishment, and display a poster with pesticide safety and emergency information. 

Employers must keep workers and others out of areas where pesticides are being applied and away from equipment during applications. Handlers must stop application if workers or others are near equipment during applications. Workers must stay out of areas that are under a restricted-entry interval (REI). All early-entry workers on the job in in pesticide-treated areas during REI must be trained in the correct usage of personal protective equipment. Any handlers using highly toxic pesticides must be monitored. Personal protective equipment must be provided and monitored by employers. 


The Worker Protection Standard course will train handlers and workers on supply decontamination and emergency assistance including transportation in the case of a pesticide-related accident.

More information on the requirements and how to comply can be found here.

When is Worker Protection Standard required?

As of January 2nd, 2017 employers are required to train workers and handlers annually before pesticide application.

What has changed with Worker Protection Standards?

  • Full Training for Workers and Handlers is now required annually (Every year).
  • No grace period for training. Workers must be trained before they work in an area where pesticide has been used or an REI has been in effect in the past 30 days.
  • Handlers are no longer able to be the qualified person available during the training.
  • Expanded training content requirements.
  • Establishments must keep records of training for 2 years and provide records to Workers and Handlers if requested.
  • Handlers and early entry workers must be at least 18 years old.  

Which Pesticides are included under Worker Protection Standards?

The Worker Protection Standard covers both general and restricted use pesticide that are used in the production of agricultural plants, these products will generally have an "Agricultural Use Requirements" section on the product label. The WPS applies whenever a pesticide is used in the production of agricultural plants on an agricultural establishment that has an “Agricultural Use Requirements” section on the product label.

How can I contact the EPA with Worker Protection Standard questions?

Mike Goodis

Who is required to complete WPS training?

Employers at agricultural establishments and commercial pesticide handling establishments such as farms, forests, nurseries, and greenhouses.



What do I have to know to pass the Core Applicator Exam?

  • Up-to-date pest management information and your responsibilities as an applicator
  • Six general pest management methods, and their application
  • “Integrated Pest Management (IPM)” solutions defined
  • Simplified federal pesticide laws and regulations that you will understand
  • “Restricted use” vs. “general use” pesticides
  • Learn to build an organized record keeping system
  • Pesticide label explanations for proper identification and use
  • Understand pesticide formulation and its effects
  • Common abbreviations for pesticide formulations. (e.g., WP or RUP)
  • Typical symptoms of pesticide exposure in humans and harmful effects
  • Hazard level classification including corresponding signal words
  • Complete guide to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
  • Clear understanding of environmental effects of pesticides
  • Proper transportation, storage and security of pesticides
  • Emergency response and how to react
  • Choosing the proper pesticide and correct application procedures
  • Practice exam to test your knowledge

Who should take this online video course?

Anyone who is preparing to become a commercial or private pesticide applicator, and plans on taking the National Pesticide Applicator Certification Core Exam. This course will give you everything you need to know to pass the exam on your first try. It is also an awesome tool for pesticide applicators who would like to refresh their knowledge or need to complete CEUs.

*Please check with your state for current continuing education requirements.

This is the most thorough online pesticide exam prep available!