Delaware State Licensing Contact Information

Phone: (302)698-4571


Web: Delaware Department of Agriculture

What pesticide application activities require a license?

Anyone buying or using a restricted use pesticide must be certified by the Delaware Department of Agriculture (DDA).

Anyone in the business of applying pesticides, either restricted use or general use to the land or property of another must be certified and obtain a Pesticide Business License from the Delaware Department of Agriculture. Application of soil termiticides must be conducted by a commercial applicator, on site, with a valid (7B) category designation.

What type of Delaware Pesticide Applicator's certification do I need?

Private Applicators are the producers of agricultural commodities and apply restricted-use pesticides to land that is owned or rented by them or their employer.

Commercial Applicators are all other restricted-use or general- use pesticide applicators that apply to the land of others.

What classifications of pesticide applicator does Delaware have?

Commercial Applicators
1A Agricultural

1B Agricultural Animal
1C Fumigation of Soils/Ag Commodities
02 Forest
03 Ornamental & Turf
04 Seed Treatment
5A Aquatic
5B Antifouling Paint
06 Right-of-Way

Industrial, Institutional, Structural & Health Related
7A General Pest Control
7B Wood Destroying Pest Control
7C Fumigation (Non-Agricultural)
7D Wood Preservatives
7E Institutional Maintenance
7F Cooling Towers
7G Miscellaneous
08 Public Health
09 Regulatory
10 Demonstration and Research

What experience is required to obtain a Delaware pesticide applicator license?

You must have a minimum of two-years practical experience under the supervision of a certified applicator within the past three years.

Does the state of Delaware offer reciprocity with other states for pesticide applicators?

Yes! Delaware reciprocates with Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Virginia

Do all of my employees need their own Delaware Pesticide Applicator's Certification?


Do I need a Delaware Pesticide Applicator's Certification to apply general use pesticides for hire?

Yes. You must also work for a licensed pesticide business.

Do I need a Delaware Pesticide Business License?

A pesticide business license is required by anyone engaging in the business of applying pesticides to the property of another within this state


  • Any person who applies pesticides on or at a premise he/she owns, leases, or operates
  • Veterinarians or physicians in their professional service
  • Research personnel applying pesticides to bona-fide experimental plots

How do I qualify for a Delaware Pesticide Business License?

To qualify for a Pesticide Business License, the following requirements must be met:

Step 1 - Submit a notarized application
Step 2 - Submit either a surety bond or a liability insurance policy or certificate thereof
Step 3 - Pay $50.00 for a one (1) year license
Step 4 - Become a certified Commercial Applicator in one or more categories of pest control AND at least one of the certified applicators must have a minimum of two years practical experience under the supervision of a certified applicator. This experience shall have been acquired during the previous three-year period, and shall be related to the license classification at issue. This requirement applies to aerial applicators and the structural pest control industry (categories 7a, 7b, and 7c) only. Please provide verifiable proof of two years practical experience if application is for these categories of pest control.

Does the Delaware Department of Agriculture offer reciprocity with other states?

Yes, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Virginia.

Return to Top


How do I become a Certified Delaware Pesticide Applicator?

Private Applicators must pass the core exam.

Commercial Applicators must pass the core exam and category exams. Delaware Commercial Applicators must also get a Delaware Pesticide Business License.

Where do I apply for my Delaware Pesticide Applicator Certification?

Follow the directions here in order to set up your online account.

Who administers the Delaware Pesticide Exams?

Exams are administered approximately every 45 days at the Agriculture Education Building at the Delaware State Fairgrounds:

644 Fairgrounds Road
Harrington, DE 19952.

The Ag Education Building is located near the Dover Building and Kent Pavilion.

How do I schedule my exam?

You must create a username in the Licensee Portal. You will then be sent an email that approves your request to access the portal. 

Where can I find reference materials for the Delaware Pesticide Applicator's Exam?

Reference materials can be found here.

What fees are associated with Delaware Pesticide Applicator Certification?

Exam Fees: $30

License Fees: N/A

Renewal Fees: $30

Return to Top


What are the continuing education requirements for Delaware pesticide applicators?

Commercial Applicators
1A Agricultural - 8 Hours

1B Agricultural Animal - 4 Hours
1C Fumigation of Soils/Ag Commodities - 4 Hours
02 Forest - 4 Hours
03 Ornamental & Turf - 8 Hours
04 Seed Treatment - 2 Hours
5A Aquatic - 4 Hours
5B Antifouling Paint - 0 Hours
06 Right-of-Way - 4 Hours

Industrial, Institutional, Structural & Health Related
7A General Pest Control - 18 Hours
7B Wood Destroying Pest Control - 18 Hours
7C Fumigation (Non-Agricultural) - 4 Hours
7D Wood Preservatives - 4 Hours
7E Institutional Maintenance - 18 Hours
7F Cooling Towers - 4 Hours
7G Miscellaneous - 4 Hours
08 Public Health - 4 Hours
09 Regulatory - 4 Hours
10 Demonstration and Research - 8 Hours

Are your Pesticide Applicator's continuing education courses state-approved?

Yes! All of our courses are approved by the Delaware Department of Agriculture.

Who submits my Pesticide Applicator's continuing education to Delaware?

Upon completion of your course(s), Certified Training Institute will submit your completed credits to the state for you.

How do I renew my Delaware Pesticide Applicator's Certification?

Notices for renewal are e-mailed and/or mailed out by no later than October 1 of each year. License renewals received after January 1 incur a late penalty fee of 20%.

My Delaware Pesticide Applicator's Certification expired, how do I get it reinstated?

You must have enough CE to renew or you will have to retake your examinations.

Is there a grace period for renewing my Pesticide Applicator's Certification?

License renewals received after January 1st incur a late penalty fee of 20%.

Return to Top


How does it work?

  • $159 will train your whole staff for a year (up to 25 employees)
  • Training can be completed as often as needed for up to 25 employees
  • Employees can watch the video course individually or all at once
  • Certificates will be available for each worker at the end of the course

Who is an agricultural worker?

An agricultural worker is anyone who works in a field that has been sprayed with pesticides within the last 30 days or does high-contact agricultural tasks such as weeding, moving irrigation equipment, pruning and harvesting. Workers DO NOT handle pesticides.

Who is a handler?

A handler is anyone who:

  • Assists with applications
  • Mixes, loads or transfers pesticides into application equipment
  • Cleans, repairs or maintains application equipment
  • Works on equipment that has been used to mix, load or apply pesticides
  • Disposes of pesticides or materials with pesticides on them
  • Acts as a flagger
  • Performs tasks as a crop adviser
  • Applies pesticides

Which establishments are required to provide Worker Protection Standard Training?

The Worker Protection Standard (WPS) applies to all establishments involved in growing, producing, or maintaining for sale agricultural plants (including ornamental plants).

This may include, but is not limited to:

  • Nurseries, garden centers, or other similar operations where plants are maintained for sale (retail or wholesale)
  • All crop producing farms
  • Dairy farms that produce hay for cattle
  • Forestry operations
  • Golf courses that produce their own sod
  • Public park operations that produce their own plants
  • Prisons that have "Prison Farms" where agricultural plants are produced and the prisoners are employed as workers or handlers
  • The WPS also applies to any establishment operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment that applies WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural establishments or provides crop advising services for an agricultural establishment

Which pesticide applicators are covered by the Worker Protection Standard?

Most establishments covered by the WPS are crop producing farms, forest operations or nurseries. WPS also covers family owned agricultural operations even if only family members handle and work around pesticides. Essentially, WPS applies to any entity that grows, maintains or produces agricultural plants.

The following facilities or operations that are not generally recognized as traditional agricultural production establishments are covered by the rule if they use WPS-labeled pesticide products:

  • Nurseries, garden centers or other similar operations
  • Dairy farms if they produce hay for cattle feed
  • Golf courses that produce sod or ornamentals for their course
  • Public parks or privately-held ornamental garden operations that produce ornamental plants
  • Theme parks, hotels or other entertainment operations that produce ornamentals for their locations
  • Prisons that have "prison farms" where plants are produced by employed prisoners
  • University extension agricultural research facilities that conduct research on agricultural plants
  • Educational classes or vocational agriculture programs where plant production is completed by students and students receive compensation or reduced tuition
  • Pine straw harvesting/production operations
  • Government-owned or managed agricultural operations

The WPS also applies to any entity operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment applying or advising the application of WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural commodities.

What does Worker Protection Standard require?


All employers must provide EPA approved pesticide training for workers and handlers. Employers must also provide access to specific information including: applications on the establishment, safety data sheets for pesticides applied on establishment, and display a poster with pesticide safety and emergency information.


Employers must keep workers and others out of areas where pesticides are being applied and away from equipment during applications. Handlers must stop application if workers or others are near equipment during applications. Workers must stay out of areas that are under a restricted-entry interval (REI). All early-entry workers on the job in in pesticide-treated areas during REI must be trained in the correct usage of personal protective equipment. Any handlers using highly toxic pesticides must be monitored. Personal protective equipment must be provided and monitored by employers.


The Worker Protection Standard course will train handlers and workers on supply decontamination and emergency assistance including transportation in the case of a pesticide-related accident.

More information on the Worker Protection Standard requirements and how to comply can be found here.

When is Worker Protection Standard required?

As of January 2nd, 2017 employers are required to train workers and handlers annually before pesticide application.

What has changed with Worker Protection Standards?

  • Full training for workers and handlers is now required annually (every year).
  • No grace period for training. Workers must be trained before they work in an area where pesticide has been used or an REI has been in effect in the past 30 days.
  • Handlers are no longer able to be the qualified person available during the training.
  • Expanded training content requirements.
  • Establishments must keep records of training for 2 years and provide records to workers and handlers if requested.
  • Handlers and early entry workers must be at least 18 years old.

Which Pesticides are included under the Worker Protection Standards?

The Worker Protection Standard covers both general and restricted use pesticide that are used in the production of agricultural plants, these products will generally have an "Agricultural Use Requirements" section on the product label. The WPS applies whenever a pesticide is used in the production of agricultural plants on an agricultural establishment that has an “Agricultural Use Requirements” section on the product label.

How can I contact the EPA with Worker Protection Standard questions?

Please visit the EPA's Pesticide Work Safety Website to find answers to further questions and contact information.

Who is required to complete WPS training?

Employers at agricultural establishments and commercial pesticide handling establishments such as farms, forests, nurseries, and greenhouses.

Return to Top


What do I have to know to pass the Core Applicator Exam?

  • Up-to-date pest management information and your responsibilities as an applicator
  • Six general pest management methods and their application
  • "Integrated Pest Management (IPM)" solutions defined
  • Simplified federal pesticide laws and regulations that you will understand
  • "Restricted use" vs. "general use" pesticides
  • Learn to build an organized record keeping system
  • Pesticide label explanations for proper identification and use
  • Understand pesticide formulation and its effects
  • Common abbreviations for pesticide formulations (e.g. WP or RUP)
  • Typical symptoms of pesticide exposure in humans and harmful effects
  • Hazard level classification including corresponding signal words
  • Complete guide to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
  • Clear understanding of environmental effects of pesticides
  • Proper transportation, storage and security of pesticides
  • Emergency response and how to react
  • Choosing the proper pesticide and correct application procedures
  • Practice exam to test your knowledge

Who should take this online video course?

Anyone who is preparing to become a commercial or private pesticide applicator and plans on taking the National Pesticide Applicator Certification Core Exam. This course will give you everything you need to know to pass the exam on your first try. It is also an awesome tool for pesticide applicators who would like to refresh their knowledge or need to complete CEUs*.

*Please check with your state for current continuing education requirements.

This is the most thorough online pesticide exam prep available!

Return to Top


What is a Certified Crop Adviser (CCA)?

The CCA certification was established by the American Society of Agronomy in 1992 to provide a benchmark for practicing agronomy professionals in the United States and Canada.

Who should become a Certified Crop Adviser?

Any adviser/consultant that spends the majority of their time advising growers or farm managers/operators on agronomic practices and can meet the standards of the program. Being certified adds credibility and shows that you are serious about what you do.

How do I become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Pass two exams (International and Local Board)
  2. Meet the experience requirements
  3. Apply for the CCA Credential

What are the minimum experience requirements for becoming a Certified Crop Adviser?

  • Have at least two years of experience with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree in an agronomy related field
    (Please keep in mind that University degrees and transcripts must be in English and based on the United States educational standard. If you need assistance in the translation process, you may use Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. or World Education Services)
    *The number of CCAs with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree is greater than 70%

  • Have at least three years of experience with an Associates Degree in an agronomy related field
  • Have at least four years of experience with no degree

How do I apply to become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Document education and crop advising experience (Including transcripts and supporting references)
  2. Sign and agree to uphold the CCA Code of Ethics (Included in application)

Once I become a Certified Crop Adviser, how do I maintain my certification?

  1. Earn 40 hours of continuing education units every 2 years
  2. Pay an annual renewal fee

How long is my Certified Crop Adviser certification valid?

2 years: your certification will expire December 31st two years after your initial certification date.

For example: if you became a CCA on any day between January 1st, 2018-December 31st, 2018--your expiration date would be December 31st, 2020.

Are your continuing education courses approved for CCA CEU Credit by the American Society of Agronomy?

Yes, many of our courses are approved by the American Society of Agronomy Board. On the state pages, the course description will say “Approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit”.

As a Certified Crop Adviser, am I required to take continuing education units in certain areas or topics?

Yes, the continuing education units you complete must fall within certain topic guidelines. The topic breakdown is as follows:

In each two year cycle, a CCA must complete a minimum of 5 CEUs in each of the 4 categories.

The categories are Nutrient Management, Soil and Water Management, Integrated Pest Management, and Crop Management.

At least 20 of the 40 total CEUs must be board approved.

Can I use your courses for credit for CCA continuing education requirements as well as my state licensing recertification requirements?

Yes, absolutely! Any course that is approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit can also be used for state pesticide applicator continuing education credits.

Return to Top

  • Information Last Updated: 05/2020
  • Did you find incorrect information? Email Us