Florida State Licensing Contact Information

Phone: (850) 617-7870

Fax: (850) 617-7895

Email: Tamara.James@FreshFromFlorida.com

Web: Florida Department of Agriculture

What pesticide application activities require a license?

Agricultural pest control, including pest control on any area where farming of any type is performed or livestock is raised; or where any ground crops, trees or plants are grown for production purposes such as a nursery.

Golf Courses, parks, athletic fields, cemeteries, electric lines, telephone lines, railroads and pipelines.

Aquatic pest control, aerial pest control, seed and wood treatment, demonstration and research for use of restricted pesticides, applying chlorine gas to residential swimming pools, controlling roots in sewer lines and herbicides to control plants.

What kind of Florida Pesticide Applicator's certification do I need?

Private Applicator – applies restricted use pesticides by ground application on property owned or rented by applicator or the applicators employer. For owners of farms, ranches, groves, nurseries and gardens. The license is valid for application of restricted use pesticides for ornamental and turf production.

Public applicator- is employed by federal, state, county, city or other local agency or government entity who uses restricted use pesticides on the job. Examples: railways, state and federal highway departments, universities, extension agents and city and county parks

Commercial Applicator- must have for the following uses: Contract Application of restricted use pesticides for someone else and non contract application for any purpose other than agricultural production. Examples: aquatic weed control, aerial application, golf courses, chemical/fertilizer company, seed/wood treatment company

What classifications of applicators' licensing does Florida have?

Florida uses three levels of licensing for pesticide applicators. The license you will need will depend on the work you plan to perform.

  • Private Applicator License - This level of license is issued to persons that will be applying restricted use pesticides to property that they own or rented/owned by their employer. The license will be valid for turf or ornamental production operations, but not valid when maintaining turf or ornamentals. For example, you can use this level of licensing to maintain the turf at a sod farm, but not a golf course.
  • Public Applicator License - This level of licensing is reserved for governmental employees who use restricted pesticides during their regular duties for agricultural or other related applications.
  • Commercial Applicator License - This level of license is issued to individuals that will be applying restricted use pesticides to agricultural, ornamental, or turf area that is not associated with a building (must be more than 10 feet from a building). This license is used for the following uses:
    • applications for other individuals or property owners to outdoor sites not associated with buildings; or
    • applications for any other outdoor use, not associated with buildings, not for an employer or government, and not involved with the agricultural production.

"Associated with a building" is any site that is within 10 feet of any building. Applications to this area require an additional license or certification from the Bureau of Licensing and Enforcement, Pest Control Section.

What pesticide certification categories are available in Florida?

Florida has designated the following certification categories. Applicators with a Commercial or Public license may be certified in one or more of these categories.

Aerial Application
Agricultural Animal Pest Control
Agricultural Row Crop Pest Control
Agricultural Tree Crop Pest Control
Aquatic Pest Control
Chlorine Gas Infusion
Demonstration and Research
Forest Pest Control
Natural Areas Weed Management
Organotin Antifouling Paint
Ornamental and Turf Pest Control
Raw Agricultural Commodity Fumigation
Regulator Inspection and Sampling
Regulatory Pest Contro
Right-of-Way Pest Control
Seed Treatment
Sewer Root Control
Soil and Greenhouse Fumigation
Wood Treatment
WPS Crop Advisor Exemption

Does my company need a separate Pesticide Applicator's Certification?


Do all of my employees need their own Florida Pesticide Applicator's Certification?


Do I need a Florida Pesticide Applicator's Certification to apply general use pesticides for hire?

A license is required only for use of restricted-use pesticides.


How do I become a certified Florida Pesticide Applicator?

  1. Determine which type of applicators license best suits your needs. Click here for a chart of certification and license requirements.
  2. Review the recommended study materials for your license. Click here for information on our Exam Prep Course!
  3. Pass the required exams for your license.
  4. Submit your application and licensing fee. ($100 for Public or Private Applicators, $250 for Commercial Applicators)

How do I renew my Florida pesticide applicator license?

The Florida Department of Agriculture will send you a renewal notice approximately 60 days before your license expires.

  1. Complete the appropriate continuing education (See table below)
    Retake the certification exams
    *You may renew some categories by reexamination and other categories by accumulating continuing education.
  2. Complete the renewal notice forms you received in the mail from the Florida Department of Agriculture

Do I need to complete continuing education to renew my Florida pesticide applicator license?


16 credits - Aerial Application - Agricultural
4 credits - Agricultural Animal Pest Control
8 credits - Agricultural Row Crop Pest Control
8 credits - Agricultural Tree Crop Pest Control
4 credits - Antifouling Paint
16 credits - Aquatic Pest Control
8 credits - Forest Pest Control
4 credits - Chlorine Gas Infusion
4 credits - Demonstration and Research
4 credits - Regulatory Inspection and Sampling

16 credits - Natural Areas Weed Management
12 credits - Ornamental and Turf Pest Control
4 credits - Private Applicator Agriculture Pest Control
4 credits - Raw Agricultural Commodity Fumigation
4 credits - Wood Treatment
12 credits - Regulatory Pest Control
8 credits - Right-of-Way Pest Control
4 credits - Seed Treatment
4 credits - Sewer Root Control
4 credits - Soil and Greenhouse Fumigation

Are your Pesticide Applicator's continuing education courses state-approved?

Yes! All of our online courses are approved by the Florida Department of Agriculture. Approval numbers are listed after each course title.

Who submits my Florida Pesticide Applicator continuing education to the state?

Applicators are responsible for submitting their continuing education credits to the Florida Department of Agriculture. Upon course completion, applicators will be provided with a certificate of completion as well as the required Record of Attendance form.

How do I renew my Florida Pesticide Applicator Certification?

Go online to https://aesecomm.freshfromflorida.com/

What happens if my Florida Pesticide Applicator's License expires?

You may not apply restricted-use pesticides until your license is renewed. To renew your license after the expiration date you must provide a signed and notarized affidavit stating that you have not applied any restricted-use pesticides since your license expired. Affidavit forms will be mailed to you with your renewal notice.

  • Licenses renewed less than 60 days past expiration - Complete the affidavit, no late fee is incurred.
  • Licenses renewed more than 60 days past expiration - Complete the affidavit, pay an additional $50.
  • Licenses expired more than 1 year cannot be renewed. You must retake the appropriate certification exams.

My Florida Pesticide Applicator's Certification expired, how do I get it reinstated?

You must retake the required exams or complete extra CEU's. If your expiration is more than 60 days passed you must also pay an extra $50.

Is there a grace period for renewing my Florida Pesticide Applicator's Certification?

1 year