We Are Open & Here To Help!
Call Us 800-727-7104
Monday-Friday 8am-8pm EST

Renewal Deadline: Applicators must renew their certification every five years by December 31st.

CE Requirements: Certification requirements differes by category. See chart for details.

Frequently Asked Questions

Indiana Pesticide Applicator General Information

State contact information for licensing questions

Phone: (765) 494-1492 Fax: (765) 494-4331 Web: Office of Indiana State Chemist

What pesticide application activities require a license in Indiana?

Certification of commercial applicators in Indiana is a legal requirement for anyone who applies any pesticide (herbicide, insecticide, fungicide, rodenticide, etc.) including over-the-counter and restricted-use products:

  • to someone else’s property as a for-hire service;
  • to school property (public and non-public);
  • to golf courses (public and private); and/or
  • for area-wide mosquito control.

Commercial applicator certification is also required for anyone who applies restricted-use pesticides only:

  • on the property of their employer as a function of their job; and/or
  • as an employee of a state or local governmental agency.

Certification is also required for anyone who applies agricultural fertilizers commercially, applies lawn fertilizers commercially, or who inspects structures for wood-damaging pests.

There is an exception to the two-step (Core and category) certification process for certain commercial applicators. Certification in Categories 12 and 14 does NOT require the applicant to take the Core examination. (Certification in Category 13 requires a Core examination only.)

Certification as a commercial, for-hire lawn care applicator (Category 3b) or as a commercial, for-hire termite control operator (Category 7b) requires Core and category examinations, plus documentation of work-related experience. Generally, for-hire Category 3b and 7b applicators meet their work experience by attending a multi-day, hands-on workshop sponsored by Purdue Pesticide Programs. Contact Purdue Pesticide Programs at 765-494-4566 for more information about the lawn care and termite control workshops (and about select waivers to workshop attendance). Applicants may also download a lawn care or termite control workshop registration application form. (Online registration is available at The Education Store.)

Not all pesticide applicators in commercial settings need to be certified. Non-certified applicators may work under the direct on-site supervision of a certified applicator. Or, non-certified applicators may become registered technicians by passing the Core exam. Registered technicians can perform every application for which their supervisor is certified, and the supervisor need not be physically present.

What are the applicator categories for Indiana Pesticide Applicators?

Category 1 - Agricultural Pest Management
Category 2 - Forest Pest Management
Category 3a - Ornamental Pest Management
Category 3b - Turf Management
Category 4 - Seed Treatment
Category 5 - Aquatic Pest management
Category 6 - Industrial Weed Management
Category 7a - Industrial, Institutional, Structural and Health-Related Pest Management
Category 7b - Termite Control
Category 7d - Fumigation
Category 8 - Community-Wide Mosquito Control
Category 11 - Aerial Application
Category 12 - Wood Destroying Pest Inspection
Category 13 - Limited Certification
Category 14 - Agricultural Fertilizer Application
Category RT - Registered Technician

Does my company need a separate Pesticide Applicator's Certification?

Yes. In order to qualify for this license you must:

  1.  Employ at least one certified pesticide applicator.
  2. Submit a completed application form for the business and each applicator and technician.
  3. Submit annual fees of $45.00 for the business and $45.00 for each certified applicator and registered technician.
  4. Submit a certificate of insurance.

Do all of my employees need their own Indiana Pesticide Applicator's Certification?


Do I need an Indiana Pesticide Applicator's Certification to apply general use pesticides for hire?


A Private Pesticide Applicator is anyone who applies pesticides to property they own, rent or otherwise control for the purpose of producing an agricultural commodity. Any private applicator wishing to buy and use restricted-use pesticides must be certified by passing the Core exam.

A Private Fertilizer Applicator is anyone who applies manure from a Confined Feeding Operation (CFO) to property they own, rent or otherwise control for purposes of producing an agricultural commodity. Any private applicator wishing to use (apply, handle, transport) manure from a CFO must be certified by passing the Category 14 Agricultural Fertilizer exam.

Does Indiana offer reciprocity for pesticide applicators?

Yes, reciprocity differs by category type, view a full list of reciprocal categories here.

Indiana Pesticide Applicator Certification

How do I become a certified Indiana Commercial Pesticide Applicator?

  1. Pass the written Core Exam
  2. Pass the appropriate Category exams

*If you will be applying pesticides or fertilizers to lawns for hire you must pass the Core and Category B exams as well as, meeting the experience requirements.

  • Complete a state chemist-approved multi-day training. Contact Purdue Pesticide programs 765-494-4566 or visit the program brochure to meet this requirement.
  • work as an active Registered Technician for at least 90 days OR
  • work as a licensed applicator in any category for at least one year OR
  • complete a formal post-high school, two-year minimum turf program and submit your transcripts to the Office of Indiana State Chemist (OISC)

NOTE: No exam may be attempted more than three (3) times in any twelve (12) month period. The twelve (12) month period shall commence on the date of the first examination failure occurs.

Who administers the Indiana Pesticide Exam?

The Indiana State Chemist

How do I schedule my Indiana Pesticide Exam?

Exams are available free of charge at Purdue’s West Lafayette campus. Contact the Office of Indiana State Chemist at 765-494-9563 for examination dates and to register for exams in West Lafayette. Exams are also available, for a fee, at select IvyTech Learning Centers around the state. Click here to learn more about and to register for exams at these Learning Centers.

Where can I find reference materials for the Indiana Pesticide Exam?

For reference materials, visit the Purdue Book Store Online

Is the Indiana Pesticide Exam open book?


What fees are associated with Indiana Pesticide Applicator Certification?

Exam Fees: 3 Options before taking Exam

  1. Training w/ exam at the end- $60 + $30 Core Manual
  2. Online Course: $110 + $30 Core Manual
  3. Studying with only Manuals- $30 Core Manual

License Fees: $20

Renewal Fees: $20

Late Fees: $40

Indiana Pesticide Certification Renewals

How many continuing certification hours (CCH) are required to renew my Indiana pesticide applicator license?

Yes, requirements differ by license type

Category 1 - Agricultural Pest Management - 20 CCH
Category 2 - Forest Pest Management - 10 CCH
Category 3a - Ornamental Pest Management - 15 CCH
Category 3b - Turf Management - 20 CCH
Category 4 - Seed Treatment - 10 CCH
Category 5 - Aquatic Pest Management - 15 CCH
Category 6 - Industrial Weed Management - 15 CCH
Category 7a - Industrial, Institutional, Structural and Health-Related Pest Management - 20 CCH
Category 7b - Termite Control - 15 CCH
Category 7d - Fumigation - 20 CCH
Category 8 - Community-Wide Mosquito Control - 15 CCH
Category 11 - Aerial Application - 20 CCH
Category 12 - Wood Destroying Pest Inspection - 10 CCH
Category 13 - Limited Certification - 10 CCH
Category 14 - Agricultural Fertilizer Application - 3 CCH
Category RT - Registered Technician - 8 CCH

Who submits my continuing education to the state?

You will need to submit your own continuing education to the state.

How do I renew my Indiana Pesticide Applicator's Certification?

  1. Complete the Renewal Letter that comes in October
  2. Complete the correct amount of CCH
  3. Send both to State

How long is my Indiana Pesticide Applicator's Certification valid?

1 year

My Indiana Pesticide Applicator's Certification expired, how do I get it reinstated?

If a commercial license is expired but their certification is still in good standing then the applicator needs to do is submit a new application along with any fees that maybe required.

If a private applicators license is expired and they did not earn the necessary points to be renewed then they will need to retake the Core exam. If they earned the needed points, then again all we need is a new application with a check for $20.

When does my Indiana Commercial Pesticide Certification expire?

December 31st of every year.

Worker Protection Standard (WPS) FAQs

How does it work?

  • $159 will train your whole staff for a year (up to 25 employees)
  • Training can be completed as often as needed for up to 25 employees.
  • Employees can watch the video course individually or all at once
  • Certificates will be available for each worker at the end of the course

Who is an Agricultural Worker?

An agricultural worker is anyone who works in a field that has been sprayed with pesticides within the last 30 days or does high-contact agricultural tasks such as weeding, moving irrigation equipment, pruning, and harvesting. Workers DO NOT handle pesticides.

Who is a Handler?

A handler is anyone who assists with applications, mixes, loads, or transfers pesticides into application equipment, cleans repairs, or maintains application equipment, works on equipment that has been used to mix, load, or apply, disposes of pesticides or materials with pesticides on them, acts as a flagger, performs tasks as a crop adviser, or applies pesticides.

Which Establishments are Required to Provide Worker Protection Standard Training?

The Worker Protection Standard (WPS) applies to all establishments involved in growing, producing, or maintaining for sale agricultural plants (including ornamental plants). This may include, but is not limited to:

  • Nurseries, garden centers, or other similar operations where plants are maintained for sale (retail or wholesale).
  • All Crop producing farms.
  • Dairy farms that produce hay for cattle.
  • Forestry Operations
  • Golf courses that produce their own sod
  • Public park operations that produce their own plants
  • Prisons that have "Prison Farms" where agricultural plants are produced and the prisoners are employed as workers or handlers.
  • The WPS also applies to any establishment operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment that applies WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural establishments or provides crop advising services for an agricultural establishment.

Which pesticide applicators are covered by the WPS?

Most establishments covered by the WPS are crop producing such as farms, forest operations or nurseries. WPS also covers family owned agricultural operations even if only family members handle and work around pesticides. Essentially, WPS applies to any entity that grows, maintains or produces agricultural plants.

The following facilities or operations that are not generally recognized as traditional agricultural production establishments are covered by the rule if they use WPS-labeled pesticide products:

  • Nurseries, garden centers or other similar operations
  • Dairy farms if they produce hay for cattle feed.
  • Golf courses that produce sod or ornamentals for their course
  • Public parks or privately-held ornamental garden operations that produce ornamental plants
  • Theme parks, hotels, or other entertainment operations that produce ornamentals for their locations
  • Prisons that have "prison farms" where plants are produced by employed prisoners
  • University extension agricultural research facilities that conduct research on agricultural plants
  • Educational classes or vocational agriculture programs where plant production is completed by students and students receive compensation or reduced tuition
  • Pine straw harvesting/production operations.
  • Government-owned or managed agricultural operations.

The WPS also applies to any entity operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment applying or advising the application of WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural commodities

What does Worker Protection Standard Require?


All employers must provide EPA approved pesticide training for workers and handlers. Employers must also provide access to specific information including: applications on the establishment, safety data sheets for pesticides applied on establishment, and display a poster with pesticide safety and emergency information.


Employers must keep workers and others out of areas where pesticides are being applied and away from equipment during applications. Handlers must stop application if workers or others are near equipment during applications. Workers must stay out of areas that are under a restricted-entry interval (REI). All early-entry workers on the job in in pesticide-treated areas during REI must be trained in the correct usage of personal protective equipment. Any handlers using highly toxic pesticides must be monitored. Personal protective equipment must be provided and monitored by employers.


The Worker Protection Standard course will train handlers and workers on supply decontamination and emergency assistance including transportation in the case of a pesticide-related accident.

More information on the requirements and how to comply can be found herehttps://goo.gl/bjfk8K 

When is Worker Protection Standard Required?

As of January 2nd, 2017 employers are required to train workers and handlers annually before pesticide application.

What has changed with Worker Protection Standards?

  • Full Training for Workers and Handlers is now required annually (Every year).
  • No grace period for training. Workers must be trained before they work in an area where pesticide has been used or an REI has been in effect in the past 30 days.
  • Handlers are no longer able to be the qualified person available during the training.
  • Expanded training content requirements.
  • Establishments must keep records of training for 2 years and provide records to Workers and Handlers if requested.
  • Handlers and early entry workers must be at least 18 years old.

Which Pesticides are included under Worker Protection Standards?

A pesticide product is covered by the WPS if the following statement is in the Directions for Use section on the product labeling:


Use this product only in accordance with its labeling and with the Worker Protection Standard, 40 CFR 170.

How can I contact the EPA with Worker Protection Standard questions?

More information may be found at the EPA Agricultural Worker Protection Standard website, or you may reach the EPA at one of the regional offices listed below.

EPA Region 1 (New England) - 888-372-7341 in the New England States, or 617-918-1111
EPA Region 2 - 887-251-4575
EPA Region 3 (Mid-Atlantic) - 800-428-2474 in Region 3, or 215-814-5122
EPA Region 4 (Southeast) - 800-241-1754 in Region 4, or 404-562-9900
EPA Region 5 - 800-621-8431 in Region 5, or 312-353-2000
EPA Region 6 (South Central) - 800-887-6063
EPA Region 7 (Midwest) - 800-223-0425 in Region 7, or 913-551-7003
EPA Region 8 (Mountains and Plains) - 800-227-8917 in Region 8, or 303-312-6312
EPA Region 9 (Pacific Southwest) - 866-372-9378 in Region 9, or 415-947-8000
EPA Region 10 (Pacific Northwest) - 800-424-4372 in Region 10, or 206-553-1200

Not sure what region you're in? Click here.

Who is required to provide WPS training?

Employers at agricultural establishments and commercial pesticide handling establishments such as farms, forests, nurseries, and greenhouses.

Does the Worker Protection Standard requirement apply to organic farming?

Yes! Worker Protection Standards apply to pesticides if the following statement is in the Directions for Use section on the product labeling:


Use this product only in accordance with its labeling and with the Worker Protection Standard, 40 CFR 170.

Core Exam Prep FAQs

What do I have to know to pass the Core Applicator Exam?

  • Up-to-date pest management information and your responsibilities as an applicator
  • Six general pest management methods and their application
  • "Integrated Pest Management (IPM)" solutions defined
  • Simplified federal pesticide laws and regulations that you will understand
  • "Restricted use" vs. "general use" pesticides
  • Learn to build an organized record keeping system
  • Pesticide label explanations for proper identification and use
  • Understand pesticide formulation and its effects
  • Common abbreviations for pesticide formulations (e.g. WP or RUP)
  • Typical symptoms of pesticide exposure in humans and harmful effects
  • Hazard level classification including corresponding signal words
  • Complete guide to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
  • Clear understanding of environmental effects of pesticides
  • Proper transportation, storage and security of pesticides
  • Emergency response and how to react
  • Choosing the proper pesticide and correct application procedures
  • Practice exam to test your knowledge

Who should take this online video course?

Anyone who is preparing to become a commercial or private pesticide applicator and plans on taking the National Pesticide Applicator Certification Core Exam. This course will give you everything you need to know to pass the exam on your first try. It is also an awesome tool for pesticide applicators who would like to refresh their knowledge or need to complete CEUs*.

*Please check with your state for current continuing education requirements.

Certified Crop Adviser (CCA) FAQs

What is a Certified Crop Adviser (CCA)?

The CCA certification was established by the American Society of Agronomy in 1992 to provide a benchmark for practicing agronomy professionals in the United States and Canada.

Who should become a Certified Crop Adviser?

Any adviser/consultant that spends the majority of their time advising growers or farm managers/operators on agronomic practices and can meet the standards of the program. Being certified adds credibility and shows that you are serious about what you do.

How do I become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Pass two exams (International and Local Board)
  2. Meet the experience requirements
  3. Apply for the CCA Credential

What are the minimum experience requirements for becoming a Certified Crop Adviser?

  • Have at least two years of experience with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree in an agronomy related field
    (Please keep in mind that University degrees and transcripts must be in English and based on the United States educational standard. If you need assistance in the translation process, you may use Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. or World Education Services)
    *The number of CCAs with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree is greater than 70%
  • Have at least three years of experience with an Associates Degree in an agronomy related field
  • Have at least four years of experience with no degree

How do I apply to become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Document education and crop advising experience (Including transcripts and supporting references)
  2. Sign and agree to uphold the CCA Code of Ethics (Included in application)

Once I become a Certified Crop Adviser, how do I maintain my certification?

  1. Earn 40 hours of continuing education units every 2 years
  2. Pay an annual renewal fee

How long is my Certified Crop Adviser certification valid?

2 years: your certification will expire December 31st two years after your initial certification date.

For example: if you became a CCA on any day between January 1st, 2018-December 31st, 2018--your expiration date would be December 31st, 2020.

Are your continuing education courses approved for CCA CEU Credit by the American Society of Agronomy?

Yes, many of our courses are approved by the American Society of Agronomy Board. On the state pages, the course description will say "Approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit".

As a Certified Crop Adviser, am I required to take continuing education units in certain areas or topics?

Yes, the continuing education units you complete must fall within certain topic guidelines. The topic breakdown is as follows:

In each two year cycle, a CCA must complete a minimum of 5 CEUs in each of the 4 categories.

The categories are Nutrient Management, Soil and Water Management, Integrated Pest Management, and Crop Management.

At least 20 of the 40 total CEUs must be board approved.

Can I use your courses for credit for CCA continuing education requirements as well as my state licensing recertification requirements?

Yes, absolutely! Any course that is approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit can also be used for state pesticide applicator continuing education credits.