State Licensing Contact Information

Phone: (785) 564-6688

Fax: (785) 564-6779

Email: KDA.PestFert@ks.gov

Web: Kansas Department of Agriculture

Who is required to have a Kansas pesticide business license?

Pesticide businesses who advertise, offer for sale, sell or perform any service for the control of a pest or apply a pesticide on the property of another for compensation are required to obtain a Kansas Pesticide Business License. Only the following are exempted:

  1. Any person or their employee who applies pesticides on or at premises they own, lease or operate
  2. Veterinarians or physicians making pesticide applications as part of their professional services
  3. Governmental agencies

Note:  Lawn mowing companies that apply weed & feed fertilizers or spray for weeds in fence lines or concrete cracks need pesticide business licenses - even if they buy their products at a regular retail store.

How do I obtain a Kansas pesticide business license?

  1. Submit a completed and signed application.
  2. The owner or one or more employees of the business must be a certified commercial applicator in each category for which the license application is made.
  3. Submit one of the following forms of proof of financial responsibility: surety bond, certificate of liability insurance, letter of credit or escrow account.
  4. Pay the required fees.
    • License application: $140 per category
    • Uncertified applicator: $15 per uncertified individual employed to apply pesticides
    • Registered Technician: $40 less $15 uncertified applicator fee, if previously paid. (Only for subcategories 3A, 3B, 3C, 7A, 7E)
  5. Kansas corporations are required to be registered with the Secretary of State and must be in good standing with that office before a business license can be issued.

What are the categories for Kansas pesticide business licensing?

Category 1, Agricultural Pest Control - in the production of agricultural crops and animals
Category 2, Forest Pest Control
- in forest, forest nurseries and forest seed producing areas
Category 3, Ornamental, Turf Pest Control and Interior Landscape
- to control pests in the maintenance and production of ornamental trees, shrubs, flowers and turf
Category 4, Seed Treatment
- pesticide applied to seeds
Category 5, Aquatic Pest Control
- purposefully applied to standing or running water
Category 6, Right-of-Way Pest Control
- maintenance of public roads, powerlines, railways

Category 7, Industrial, Institutional, Structural and Health Related Pest Control - in, on or around food handling establishments, human dwellings, institutions such as schools and hospitals, industrial establishments including warehouses, grain elevators, food processing plants, and any other structures and adjacent areas, public or private, and for the protection of stored, processed, or manufactured products

Do I have to mark my vehicle?

Category 3 and 7 Vehicles
Pesticide businesses licensed in Categories 3 and 7 must mark any vehicle used in the application of pesticides, including any vehicle used in transporting pesticide application equipment to an application site. The business name or registered trade name and the pesticide business license number must be placed on each side of the vehicle, with letters and numbers not less than 1½ inches in height and in a color contrasting from that of the vehicle. (K.A.R. 4-13-6)

Aircraft - Category 1
Each pesticide business licensed in Category 1 which uses aircraft to apply pesticides must identify each aircraft with a decal furnished by the Kansas Department of Agriculture. Decals will not be issued until all licensing requirements are met and are not transferable. For fixed wing aircraft, the decal shall be affixed to and prominently displayed on the left rear portion of the cockpit or canopy or on the left rear portion of the fuselage near the rear of the cockpit or canopy. For rotary wing aircraft, the decal must be affixed to and prominently displayed on the left side of the aircraft but not on the tail rotor.

Do I need to be certified to conduct termite inspections in Kansas?

If your termite inspections are associated with real estate transactions or loans secured by interests in real estate, Kansas requires that you have a current commercial pesticide applicator certification in subcategory 7A, wood destroying pest control. The requirement is not a part of our Kansas Pesticide Law even though we administer the certification exams and issue the certifications.

Does my company need a separate pesticide applicator's certification in Kansas?


What classifications of applicator's licensing does Kansas have?

Commercial Pesticide Applicator

Private Pesticide Applicator

Does the state of Kansas offer pesticide applicator reciprocity with other states?

Certified applicators from other states still need to apply for and obtain Kansas commercial applicator certification. Kansas has reciprocal agreements with Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Minnesota and Indiana for commercial certification in limited categories and subcategories. Under these reciprocal agreements, applicators must submit a completed application, pay the $75 per category reciprocity fee but do not need to take the Kansas certification exams. Kansas residents are not eligible for certification in Kansas by reciprocity. However, they may reciprocate their Kansas certification to other states with reciprocal agreements. For initial certification through reciprocity, contact Licensing at (785) 564-6735.

Return to Top


How do I become a Kansas certified pesticide applicator?

Commercial Applicators:

  1. Be 18 years of age or older
  2. Submit a completed application for commercial certification
  1. Pass a closed book exam in each category/subcategory of application plus the General Exam. A score of 75% or greater is required to pass each exam
  1. Pay required fees of $45 per exam. The General Exam and any exam retakes are also each $45

For initial commercial certification, both the General and at least one category/subcategory exam must be passed within 12 months of each other. If you pass one of the exams, you have 12 months from the date you passed that exam to pass the second exam. If the second exam is not passed within that 12 month interval you will have to retake both exams.

Private Applicators:

Pass an open book exam (75%score) over this manual, paying the fees and submitting the application form. The examination is taken in the County Agent’s office.

Is the Kansas pesticide exam open book?


Return to Top


Is continuing education required to renew a Kansas pesticide applicator's certification?

You must either attend appropriate training approved by the Kansas Department of Agriculture during the effective period of your certification or passed the closed-book exams required for renewal.

When do re-certification hours need to be received by the state?

For those who attended complete training during their certification period, the application form and fees will be accepted for 30 days following the certification expiration date.

How do I renew my Kansas pesticide applicator's certification?

Commercial Applicators:

In the fall of the year your certification expires, you will receive an application to renew your certification for the succeeding three year period. You must submit the completed application with the applicable fees by December 31and have either attended appropriate training approved by the Kansas Department of Agriculture during the effective period of your certification or passed the closed-book exams required for renewal. For those who attended complete training during their certification period, the application form and fees will be accepted for 30 days following the certification expiration date. Renewal may also be obtained by reciprocity for out-of-state residents for limited states and specific certification categories. Applicators must renew by the December 31 expiration date of their certification to maintain continuous certification.

Private Applicators:

Private certification may be obtained by passing an open book examination at a county extension office. Contact the county extension office in advance to ensure the office will be open and allow 2-3 hours to complete the examination. The county extension office will collect the $25 fee and mail the completed examination to KDA for grading and issuing the certification card. Private applicator certification expires on the individual’s birthday in the 5th calendar year after it is issued.

How long is my Kansas pesticide applicator’s certification valid?

Commercial Applicators: 2 years

Private Applicators: 5 years

Return to Top


How does it work?

  • $159 will train your whole staff for a year (up to 25 employees)
  • Training can be completed as often as needed for up to 25 employees
  • Employees can watch the video course individually or all at once
  • Certificates will be available for each worker at the end of the course

Who is an agricultural worker?

An agricultural worker is anyone who works in a field that has been sprayed with pesticides within the last 30 days or does high-contact agricultural tasks such as weeding, moving irrigation equipment, pruning and harvesting. Workers DO NOT handle pesticides.

Who is a handler?

A handler is anyone who:

  • Assists with applications
  • Mixes, loads or transfers pesticides into application equipment
  • Cleans, repairs or maintains application equipment
  • Works on equipment that has been used to mix, load or apply pesticides
  • Disposes of pesticides or materials with pesticides on them
  • Acts as a flagger
  • Performs tasks as a crop adviser
  • Applies pesticides

Which establishments are required to provide Worker Protection Standard Training?

The Worker Protection Standard (WPS) applies to all establishments involved in growing, producing, or maintaining for sale agricultural plants (including ornamental plants).

This may include, but is not limited to:

  • Nurseries, garden centers, or other similar operations where plants are maintained for sale (retail or wholesale)
  • All crop producing farms
  • Dairy farms that produce hay for cattle
  • Forestry operations
  • Golf courses that produce their own sod
  • Public park operations that produce their own plants
  • Prisons that have "Prison Farms" where agricultural plants are produced and the prisoners are employed as workers or handlers
  • The WPS also applies to any establishment operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment that applies WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural establishments or provides crop advising services for an agricultural establishment

Which pesticide applicators are covered by the Worker Protection Standard?

Most establishments covered by the WPS are crop producing farms, forest operations or nurseries. WPS also covers family owned agricultural operations even if only family members handle and work around pesticides. Essentially, WPS applies to any entity that grows, maintains or produces agricultural plants.

The following facilities or operations that are not generally recognized as traditional agricultural production establishments are covered by the rule if they use WPS-labeled pesticide products:

  • Nurseries, garden centers or other similar operations
  • Dairy farms if they produce hay for cattle feed
  • Golf courses that produce sod or ornamentals for their course
  • Public parks or privately-held ornamental garden operations that produce ornamental plants
  • Theme parks, hotels or other entertainment operations that produce ornamentals for their locations
  • Prisons that have "prison farms" where plants are produced by employed prisoners
  • University extension agricultural research facilities that conduct research on agricultural plants
  • Educational classes or vocational agriculture programs where plant production is completed by students and students receive compensation or reduced tuition
  • Pine straw harvesting/production operations
  • Government-owned or managed agricultural operations

The WPS also applies to any entity operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment applying or advising the application of WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural commodities.

What does Worker Protection Standard require?


All employers must provide EPA approved pesticide training for workers and handlers. Employers must also provide access to specific information including: applications on the establishment, safety data sheets for pesticides applied on establishment, and display a poster with pesticide safety and emergency information.


Employers must keep workers and others out of areas where pesticides are being applied and away from equipment during applications. Handlers must stop application if workers or others are near equipment during applications. Workers must stay out of areas that are under a restricted-entry interval (REI). All early-entry workers on the job in in pesticide-treated areas during REI must be trained in the correct usage of personal protective equipment. Any handlers using highly toxic pesticides must be monitored. Personal protective equipment must be provided and monitored by employers.


The Worker Protection Standard course will train handlers and workers on supply decontamination and emergency assistance including transportation in the case of a pesticide-related accident.

More information on the Worker Protection Standard requirements and how to comply can be found here.

When is Worker Protection Standard required?

As of January 2nd, 2017 employers are required to train workers and handlers annually before pesticide application.

What has changed with Worker Protection Standards?

  • Full training for workers and handlers is now required annually (every year).
  • No grace period for training. Workers must be trained before they work in an area where pesticide has been used or an REI has been in effect in the past 30 days.
  • Handlers are no longer able to be the qualified person available during the training.
  • Expanded training content requirements.
  • Establishments must keep records of training for 2 years and provide records to workers and handlers if requested.
  • Handlers and early entry workers must be at least 18 years old.

Which Pesticides are included under the Worker Protection Standards?

The Worker Protection Standard covers both general and restricted use pesticide that are used in the production of agricultural plants, these products will generally have an "Agricultural Use Requirements" section on the product label. The WPS applies whenever a pesticide is used in the production of agricultural plants on an agricultural establishment that has an “Agricultural Use Requirements” section on the product label.

How can I contact the EPA with Worker Protection Standard questions?

Please visit the EPA's Pesticide Work Safety Website to find answers to further questions and contact information.

Who is required to complete WPS training?

Employers at agricultural establishments and commercial pesticide handling establishments such as farms, forests, nurseries, and greenhouses.

Return to Top


What do I have to know to pass the Core Applicator Exam?

  • Up-to-date pest management information and your responsibilities as an applicator
  • Six general pest management methods and their application
  • "Integrated Pest Management (IPM)" solutions defined
  • Simplified federal pesticide laws and regulations that you will understand
  • "Restricted use" vs. "general use" pesticides
  • Learn to build an organized record keeping system
  • Pesticide label explanations for proper identification and use
  • Understand pesticide formulation and its effects
  • Common abbreviations for pesticide formulations (e.g. WP or RUP)
  • Typical symptoms of pesticide exposure in humans and harmful effects
  • Hazard level classification including corresponding signal words
  • Complete guide to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
  • Clear understanding of environmental effects of pesticides
  • Proper transportation, storage and security of pesticides
  • Emergency response and how to react
  • Choosing the proper pesticide and correct application procedures
  • Practice exam to test your knowledge

Who should take this online video course?

Anyone who is preparing to become a commercial or private pesticide applicator and plans on taking the National Pesticide Applicator Certification Core Exam. This course will give you everything you need to know to pass the exam on your first try. It is also an awesome tool for pesticide applicators who would like to refresh their knowledge or need to complete CEUs*.

*Please check with your state for current continuing education requirements.

This is the most thorough online pesticide exam prep available!

Return to Top


What is a Certified Crop Adviser (CCA)?

The CCA certification was established by the American Society of Agronomy in 1992 to provide a benchmark for practicing agronomy professionals in the United States and Canada.

Who should become a Certified Crop Adviser?

Any adviser/consultant that spends the majority of their time advising growers or farm managers/operators on agronomic practices and can meet the standards of the program. Being certified adds credibility and shows that you are serious about what you do.

How do I become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Pass two exams (International and Local Board)
  2. Meet the experience requirements
  3. Apply for the CCA Credential

What are the minimum experience requirements for becoming a Certified Crop Adviser?

  • Have at least two years of experience with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree in an agronomy related field
    (Please keep in mind that University degrees and transcripts must be in English and based on the United States educational standard. If you need assistance in the translation process, you may use Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. or World Education Services)
    *The number of CCAs with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree is greater than 70%

  • Have at least three years of experience with an Associates Degree in an agronomy related field
  • Have at least four years of experience with no degree

How do I apply to become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Document education and crop advising experience (Including transcripts and supporting references)
  2. Sign and agree to uphold the CCA Code of Ethics (Included in application)

Once I become a Certified Crop Adviser, how do I maintain my certification?

  1. Earn 40 hours of continuing education units every 2 years
  2. Pay an annual renewal fee

How long is my Certified Crop Adviser certification valid?

2 years: your certification will expire December 31st two years after your initial certification date.

For example: if you became a CCA on any day between January 1st, 2018-December 31st, 2018--your expiration date would be December 31st, 2020.

Are your continuing education courses approved for CCA CEU Credit by the American Society of Agronomy?

Yes, many of our courses are approved by the American Society of Agronomy Board. On the state pages, the course description will say “Approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit”.

As a Certified Crop Adviser, am I required to take continuing education units in certain areas or topics?

Yes, the continuing education units you complete must fall within certain topic guidelines. The topic breakdown is as follows:

In each two year cycle, a CCA must complete a minimum of 5 CEUs in each of the 4 categories.

The categories are Nutrient Management, Soil and Water Management, Integrated Pest Management, and Crop Management.

At least 20 of the 40 total CEUs must be board approved.

Can I use your courses for credit for CCA continuing education requirements as well as my state licensing recertification requirements?

Yes, absolutely! Any course that is approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit can also be used for state pesticide applicator continuing education credits.

Return to Top

  • Information Last Updated: 05/2020
  • Did you find incorrect information? Email Us