We Are Open & Here To Help!
Call Us 800-727-7104
Monday-Friday 8am-8pm EST

Renewal Deadline:
All applicators must renew every 3-years by December 31st.

CE Requirements:
Private Applicators - 16 credits of Private Core
Commercial - 8 credits of Commercial Core | 8 credits per Category

Frequently Asked Questions

Michigan Pesticide Applicator General Information

State Licensing Contact Information

What pesticide application activities require a license in Michigan?

The state of Michigan requires individuals to be either a certified pesticide applicator or registered applicator to apply a pesticide for a commercial purpose or in the course of his or her employment.

What classifications of pesticide applicator's certification does Michigan have?

  • Commercial Pesticide Applicator
  • Private Pesticide Applicator
  • Registered Pesticide Applicator

What are the recognized categories for Michigan pesticide licensing?

1A Field Crops
1B Vegetable Crops
1C Fruit Crops
1D Livestock Pest Management
2 Forest Pest Management
2A Wood Preservation
3A Turfgrass Pest Management
3B Ornamental Pest Management
4 Seed Treatment
5 Aquatic Pest Management
5A Swimming Pools
5B Microbial Pest Management
5C Sewer Line Pest Management

6 Right-of-Way Pest Management
7A General Pest Management
7B Wood Destroying Pest Management
7D Vertebrate Pest Management
7E Interior Plant Pest Management
7F Mosquito Management
7G Domestic Animal Pest Management
8 Public Health Pest Management
9 Regulator Pest Management
10 Demonstration and Research pest Management
AE Aerial
FUM Fumigation

A description of each category may be found here.

Does my company need a separate Michigan pesticide applicator's license?

Before a business holds themselves out to the public as being in the business of applying pesticides for hire, the business must first obtain a commercial pesticide applicator business license. Contact the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development Central Licensing Unit at 800-292-3939 to start the process or visit the Pesticide Application Business License webpage.

Does the state of Michigan offer pesticide applicator reciprocity with other states?

Michigan offers reciprocity with Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin.

Commercial and private applicators who are residents of these states may be granted reciprocal certification without examination. To obtain Michigan certification credentials as part of a reciprocal agreement, submit an application and the prescribed fee (payable to State of Michigan) to MDARD at the address listed on the application.

Michigan Pesticide Applicator Certification

What are the requirements to become a Michigan certified pesticide applicator?

Commercial Pesticide Applicator
  • Individuals must be 18 years of age or older.
  • Individuals must pass a minimum of two exams.
  • The general standard exam (CORE); and
    A minimum of one category and/or subcategory exam in the applicant's area of pesticide application. Additional standards are required for individuals who use fumigant pesticides or apply pesticides by aircraft.

Submit the completed application and appropriate fee.

Private Pesticide Applicator

Owned or rented by an individual or his/her employer; or
On property of another for no compensation other than trading of personal services between producers.

  • Individuals must be 18 years of age or older.
  • Individuals must pass the private general standard exam (CORE).
  • An additional standard exam is required for individuals who use fumigant pesticides or apply pesticides by aircraft.
  • Submit the completed application and appropriate fee.
Registered Pesticide Applicator

Registered applicators must pass the general standard exam (CORE) and complete a Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development approved training program coordinated by an MDARD Approved Trainer. The training program must be verifiable and category-specific. (Note, the registered applicator must be under direct supervision while making any pesticide applications during the training program. A pesticide applicator is considered to be under direct supervision of a certified applicator when the certified applicator is physically present at the time and place the pesticide is being applied.)

Once the training program is completed, registered applicators making a general use pesticide application only need to be supervised by a certified applicator when employed by a commercial pesticide application business. The certified applicator does not have to be physically present at the time of the general use pesticide application. As non-certified applicators, registered applicators may not purchase or use restricted use pesticides (RUP's).

The applicant may complete the training requirement before or after taking the exam. After the applicant has completed training, the approved trainer must complete the "Registered Applicator Verifiable Training Form" and either have the applicant turn it in with his or her application at an MDARD paper-based exam site or mail it to the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, P.O. Box 30017, Lansing, Michigan 48909.

Individuals must be 18 years of age or older.

Submit the completed application and appropriate fee.

Who administers the Michigan pesticide exams?

The Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development

How do I schedule my Michigan pesticide exam?

To schedule a paper-based exams click here.

To schedule computer-based exams go here. Note, computer-based exams require an additional $55 fee per test.

Visit the MDARD Examination Process page for further details.

Where can I find reference materials for the Michigan pesticide exam?

Certified Training Institute offers a comprehensive exam prep package for Michigan applicators.

To find category specific training manuals visit either:
Michigan State University Pesticide Education Web Site
Michigan State University County Extension Offices

Is the Michigan pesticide exam open book?


What fees are associated with Michigan pesticide applicator certification?

Commercial Pesticide Applicator

Exam Fees: $75
License Fees: $75
Renewal Fees: $75

Private Pesticide Applicator

Exam Fees: $50
License Fees: $50
Renewal Fees: $50

Registered Pesticide Applicator

Exam Fees: $45
License Fees: $45
Renewal Fees: $45

Michigan Pesticide Certification Renewals

What continuing education is required to renew a Michigan pesticide applicator's certification?

Private Core Applicators – 16 credits
Commercial Core Applicators – 8 credits
Commercial Category (each) – 8 credits
Registered Core Applicators – 8 credits
Registered Category (each) – 8 credits
Standards (Arial/Fumigation)(each) – 2 credits

Are all of your Michigan pesticide applicator's continuing education courses state approved?

Yes, all of our Michigan pesticide applicator continuing education courses are approved by the state of Michigan.

Who submits my continuing education to the state?

Our in house submission specialist will submit your completed CE credits to the state for you.

How do I renew my Michigan pesticide applicator's certification?

Renewal by examination

Once the renewal application is received, the applicator may take it and the appropriate fee with him or her to a paper-based exam site and take the tests that he or she needs. If the applicator chooses to attend a computer-based exam session, the applicator will need to mail the application with the appropriate fee (made payable to the “State of Michigan”) to: The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, P.O. Box 30776, Lansing, Michigan 48909.

Exams are given by appointment only. Schedule online at www.Michigan.gov/pestexam for paper-based exams or call 1-800-292-3939. Schedule online at www.Metrosignup.com for computer-based exams. (Note, computer-based exams have an additional $55 fee per test). For more detailed information about our exam options, check out the Examination Process.

Renewal by seminar credits

During the 3-year certification/registration period, pesticide applicators may obtain credits towards their renewal certification by attending eligible pre-approved seminars. Our website has a list of seminars approved for recertification credits that is arranged by month.

Seminar credits must be category-specific. At the end of the 3-year certification/registration period, if the applicator has earned the proper number of credits, he or she can renew his or her credentials without taking an exam(s). It is the pesticide applicator's responsibility to keep track of the number of credits earned during the 3-year certification/registration period. The applicator may choose to keep track of the number of credits earned by utilizing the Seminar Attendance Record (also lists credit requirements).

For further details, visit these pages:
Commercial Applicators
Private Applicators
Registered Applicators

How long is my Michigan pesticide applicator's certification valid?

Certifications expire on December 31st every third year.

My Pesticide Applicator Certification expired, how do I get it reinstated?

Is there a grace period for renewing my Michigan pesticide applicator's certification?

There is no grace period for purchasing restricted use pesticides or applying pesticides as part of your work duties after a credential expires.

Worker Protection Standard (WPS) FAQs

How does it work?

  • $159 will train your whole staff for a year (up to 25 employees)
  • Training can be completed as often as needed for up to 25 employees.
  • Employees can watch the video course individually or all at once
  • Certificates will be available for each worker at the end of the course

Who is an Agricultural Worker?

An agricultural worker is anyone who works in a field that has been sprayed with pesticides within the last 30 days or does high-contact agricultural tasks such as weeding, moving irrigation equipment, pruning, and harvesting. Workers DO NOT handle pesticides.

Who is a Handler?

A handler is anyone who assists with applications, mixes, loads, or transfers pesticides into application equipment, cleans repairs, or maintains application equipment, works on equipment that has been used to mix, load, or apply, disposes of pesticides or materials with pesticides on them, acts as a flagger, performs tasks as a crop adviser, or applies pesticides.

Which Establishments are Required to Provide Worker Protection Standard Training?

The Worker Protection Standard (WPS) applies to all establishments involved in growing, producing, or maintaining for sale agricultural plants (including ornamental plants). This may include, but is not limited to:

  • Nurseries, garden centers, or other similar operations where plants are maintained for sale (retail or wholesale).
  • All Crop producing farms.
  • Dairy farms that produce hay for cattle.
  • Forestry Operations
  • Golf courses that produce their own sod
  • Public park operations that produce their own plants
  • Prisons that have "Prison Farms" where agricultural plants are produced and the prisoners are employed as workers or handlers.
  • The WPS also applies to any establishment operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment that applies WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural establishments or provides crop advising services for an agricultural establishment.

Which pesticide applicators are covered by the WPS?

Most establishments covered by the WPS are crop producing such as farms, forest operations or nurseries. WPS also covers family owned agricultural operations even if only family members handle and work around pesticides. Essentially, WPS applies to any entity that grows, maintains or produces agricultural plants.

The following facilities or operations that are not generally recognized as traditional agricultural production establishments are covered by the rule if they use WPS-labeled pesticide products:

  • Nurseries, garden centers or other similar operations
  • Dairy farms if they produce hay for cattle feed.
  • Golf courses that produce sod or ornamentals for their course
  • Public parks or privately-held ornamental garden operations that produce ornamental plants
  • Theme parks, hotels, or other entertainment operations that produce ornamentals for their locations
  • Prisons that have “prison farms” where plants are produced by employed prisoners
  • University extension agricultural research facilities that conduct research on agricultural plants
  • Educational classes or vocational agriculture programs where plant production is completed by students and students receive compensation or reduced tuition
  • Pine straw harvesting/production operations.
  • Government-owned or managed agricultural operations.

The WPS also applies to any entity operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment applying or advising the application of WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural commodities

What does Worker Protection Standard Require?


All employers must provide EPA approved pesticide training for workers and handlers. Employers must also provide access to specific information including: applications on the establishment, safety data sheets for pesticides applied on establishment, and display a poster with pesticide safety and emergency information.


Employers must keep workers and others out of areas where pesticides are being applied and away from equipment during applications. Handlers must stop application if workers or others are near equipment during applications. Workers must stay out of areas that are under a restricted-entry interval (REI). All early-entry workers on the job in in pesticide-treated areas during REI must be trained in the correct usage of personal protective equipment. Any handlers using highly toxic pesticides must be monitored. Personal protective equipment must be provided and monitored by employers.


The Worker Protection Standard course will train handlers and workers on supply decontamination and emergency assistance including transportation in the case of a pesticide-related accident.

More information on the requirements and how to comply can be found herehttps://goo.gl/bjfk8K 

When is Worker Protection Standard Required?

As of January 2nd, 2017 employers are required to train workers and handlers annually before pesticide application.

What has changed with Worker Protection Standards?

  • Full Training for Workers and Handlers is now required annually (Every year).
  • No grace period for training. Workers must be trained before they work in an area where pesticide has been used or an REI has been in effect in the past 30 days.
  • Handlers are no longer able to be the qualified person available during the training.
  • Expanded training content requirements.
  • Establishments must keep records of training for 2 years and provide records to Workers and Handlers if requested.
  • Handlers and early entry workers must be at least 18 years old.

Which Pesticides are included under Worker Protection Standards?

A pesticide product is covered by the WPS if the following statement is in the Directions for Use section on the product labeling:


Use this product only in accordance with its labeling and with the Worker Protection Standard, 40 CFR 170.

How can I contact the EPA with Worker Protection Standard questions?

More information may be found at the EPA Agricultural Worker Protection Standard website, or you may reach the EPA at one of the regional offices listed below.

EPA Region 1 (New England) - 888-372-7341 in the New England States, or 617-918-1111
EPA Region 2 - 887-251-4575
EPA Region 3 (Mid-Atlantic) - 800-428-2474 in Region 3, or 215-814-5122
EPA Region 4 (Southeast) - 800-241-1754 in Region 4, or 404-562-9900
EPA Region 5 - 800-621-8431 in Region 5, or 312-353-2000
EPA Region 6 (South Central) - 800-887-6063
EPA Region 7 (Midwest) - 800-223-0425 in Region 7, or 913-551-7003
EPA Region 8 (Mountains and Plains) - 800-227-8917 in Region 8, or 303-312-6312
EPA Region 9 (Pacific Southwest) - 866-372-9378 in Region 9, or 415-947-8000
EPA Region 10 (Pacific Northwest) - 800-424-4372 in Region 10, or 206-553-1200

Not sure what region you're in? Click here.

Who is required to provide WPS training?

Employers at agricultural establishments and commercial pesticide handling establishments such as farms, forests, nurseries, and greenhouses.

Does the Worker Protection Standard requirement apply to organic farming?

Yes! Worker Protection Standards apply to pesticides if the following statement is in the Directions for Use section on the product labeling:


Use this product only in accordance with its labeling and with the Worker Protection Standard, 40 CFR 170.

Core Exam Prep FAQs

What do I have to know to pass the Core Applicator Exam?

  • Up-to-date pest management information and your responsibilities as an applicator
  • Six general pest management methods and their application
  • "Integrated Pest Management (IPM)" solutions defined
  • Simplified federal pesticide laws and regulations that you will understand
  • "Restricted use" vs. "general use" pesticides
  • Learn to build an organized record keeping system
  • Pesticide label explanations for proper identification and use
  • Understand pesticide formulation and its effects
  • Common abbreviations for pesticide formulations (e.g. WP or RUP)
  • Typical symptoms of pesticide exposure in humans and harmful effects
  • Hazard level classification including corresponding signal words
  • Complete guide to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
  • Clear understanding of environmental effects of pesticides
  • Proper transportation, storage and security of pesticides
  • Emergency response and how to react
  • Choosing the proper pesticide and correct application procedures
  • Practice exam to test your knowledge

Who should take this online video course?

Anyone who is preparing to become a commercial or private pesticide applicator and plans on taking the National Pesticide Applicator Certification Core Exam. This course will give you everything you need to know to pass the exam on your first try. It is also an awesome tool for pesticide applicators who would like to refresh their knowledge or need to complete CEUs*.

*Please check with your state for current continuing education requirements.

Certified Crop Adviser (CCA) FAQs

What is a Certified Crop Adviser (CCA)?

The CCA certification was established by the American Society of Agronomy in 1992 to provide a benchmark for practicing agronomy professionals in the United States and Canada.

Who should become a Certified Crop Adviser?

Any adviser/consultant that spends the majority of their time advising growers or farm managers/operators on agronomic practices and can meet the standards of the program. Being certified adds credibility and shows that you are serious about what you do.

How do I become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Pass two exams (International and Local Board)
  2. Meet the experience requirements
  3. Apply for the CCA Credential

What are the minimum experience requirements for becoming a Certified Crop Adviser?

  • Have at least two years of experience with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree in an agronomy related field
    (Please keep in mind that University degrees and transcripts must be in English and based on the United States educational standard. If you need assistance in the translation process, you may use Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. or World Education Services)
    *The number of CCAs with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree is greater than 70%
  • Have at least three years of experience with an Associates Degree in an agronomy related field
  • Have at least four years of experience with no degree

How do I apply to become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Document education and crop advising experience (Including transcripts and supporting references)
  2. Sign and agree to uphold the CCA Code of Ethics (Included in application)

Once I become a Certified Crop Adviser, how do I maintain my certification?

  1. Earn 40 hours of continuing education units every 2 years
  2. Pay an annual renewal fee

How long is my Certified Crop Adviser certification valid?

2 years: your certification will expire December 31st two years after your initial certification date.

For example: if you became a CCA on any day between January 1st, 2018-December 31st, 2018--your expiration date would be December 31st, 2020.

Are your continuing education courses approved for CCA CEU Credit by the American Society of Agronomy?

Yes, many of our courses are approved by the American Society of Agronomy Board. On the state pages, the course description will say “Approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit”.

As a Certified Crop Adviser, am I required to take continuing education units in certain areas or topics?

Yes, the continuing education units you complete must fall within certain topic guidelines. The topic breakdown is as follows:

In each two year cycle, a CCA must complete a minimum of 5 CEUs in each of the 4 categories.

The categories are Nutrient Management, Soil and Water Management, Integrated Pest Management, and Crop Management.

At least 20 of the 40 total CEUs must be board approved.

Can I use your courses for credit for CCA continuing education requirements as well as my state licensing recertification requirements?

Yes, absolutely! Any course that is approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit can also be used for state pesticide applicator continuing education credits.