Yes! All our courses are approved by the Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce, Bureau of Plant Industry.

  • Private Applicator Certification – Private applicators use or supervise the use of restricted-use pesticides to produce agricultural commodities on their own land, leased or rented land, or on the lands of their employers.
  • Commercial Applicator Certification – Commercial applicators use or supervise the use of pesticides for purposes other than those covered under a private applicator certification.

    The certificate does not allow a person to advertise or solicit business as a pesticide applicator. A person must be licensed in the area of work being performed to advertise or solicit business.

The State of Mississippi currently has the following categories and subcategories for commercial applicator certification.

Category I(A): Agricultural Pest Control (Plant)
Category I(B): Agricultural Pest Control (Animal)
Category II: Forest Pest Control
Category III: Ornamental and Turf Pest Control
Category IV: Seed Treatment
Category V: Aquatic Pest Control
Category VI: Right-of-Way Pest Control
Category VII(A): Industrial, Institutional, Structural, and Health-Related Pest Control
Category VII(B): Fumigation
Category VII(3): Industrial Weed Control
Category VIII: Public Health Pest Control
Category IX: Regulatory Pest Control
Category X: Demonstration and Research Pest Control
Category XI: Aerial Application
Category XII: Wood Preservation and Wood Products Treatment
Category XIII: Antifoulant Paint
Category XIV: Metam Sodium

Commercial applicators must pass a written examination on the core standards and a least one of these categories before they receive certification. Click here for more information.

Yes. Mississippi reciprocates with other states with commercial certification. Complete a reciprocity form from the Bureau of Plant Industry and attach a copy of the front and back of your commercial certification card from the other state. Mississippi does not reciprocate licensing from other states.

  1. Make sure you meet Mississippi's qualifications.
    • Hold a high school diploma or equivalent
    • At least 4 years experience with a licensed operator within the last 6 years. This experience must be in the categories you wish to become licensed in.
    • Complete 15 semester hours or equivalent in the appropriate licensing categories.
  2. Submit an application to the
    Bureau of Plant Industry
    P.O. Box 5207
    Mississippi State, MS 39762
  3. If you are approved you will receive information about the time and locations for upcoming exams.

All exam questions are either multiple choice or true and false. Some exams will require a calculator.