We Are Open & Here To Help!
Call Us 800-727-7104
Monday-Friday 8am-8pm EST

Renewal Deadline:

Applicators must renew their certification by December 31 every five years.

CE Requirements:

Commercial applicators must complete 12 credits of continuing education every five years.
Private applicators must complete 15 credits of continuing education every five years.

Frequently Asked Questions

New Hampshire Pesticide Applicator General Information

State Licensing Contact Information

Phone: (603) 271-3550
Fax: (603) 271-1109
Address: PO Box 2042, Concord, NH 03301
Web: New Hampshire Department of Agriculture, Markets and Food

What pesticide application activities require a license in New Hampshire?

New Hampshire law requires that:

  • Anyone applying pesticides to produce an agricultural commodity for sale or distribution must be licensed as a Private Applicator (for example, growing fruits, vegetables or Christmas trees).
  • Anyone applying pesticides on a property of another must be licensed as a Commercial Applicator (for example, control of pest insects, invasive plants or as part of your work*, for example, golf course use) or
  • Anyone selling or distributing restricted use pesticides in the state must be licensed as a Dealer.

Janitors using general use pesticides in non-food areas in buildings and property immediately adjacent to buildings, and those using prepackaged general use aerosols or general use aerosol dispensing devices for control of flying insects in food handling areas are exempt from licensing.

What kind of New Hampshire pesticide applicator license do I need?

Private Applicator: an individual who uses or supervises the use of any pesticides (whether restricted or general use) for purposes of producing any agricultural commodities, on the property owned or rented by him or his employer, or if applied without compensation other than trading of personal service between producers of agricultural commodities, on the property of another person.

Commercial (Not for Hire) Applicator: anyone applying pesticides on a commercial basis, on the property of another. They apply pesticides to one specific location as part of their employment with a entity.

Commercial (For Hire) Applicator: anyone applying pesticides on a commercial basis, on the property of another. This license is required regardless of whether the applicator gets paid for the service and regardless of whether the pesticide would be classified as general use, including over the counter home owner type pesticides, or restricted use.

What classifications of applicator’s licensing does New Hampshire have?

Private Applicators

Commercial (Not For Hire) Applicators

Commercial (For Hire) Applicators

Pesticide Dealers

Are there different types of New Hampshire pesticide applicator permits/licenses that I need to know about?

Private Applicators:

-General Use Permit

-Restricted Use Permit - Required for individuals using restricted use pesticides or using pesticides in a manner where the use is classified as restricted.

Commercial Applicators:

-Supervisory License - Must be held by at least one member of any business, firm or entity, and be the person who is actually supervising other persons who may be involved with the application of pesticides.

-Operational License - Must be held by additional employees within a business, firm or entity. The law requires that at least one member of each crew applying pesticides be in possession of an operational level license.

What are the categories for pesticide licensing in New Hampshire?

Private Applicator Categories:
Christmas Trees, Nursery, Greenhouse, Small Fruit, Tree Fruit, Poultry, Dairy, Vegetable, and Sod.

Commercial Applicator Categories:
A1-Agricultural Pest Control-Fruit
A2-Agricultural Pest Control-Herbicides
A3-Agricultural Pest Control-Field Crops
B-Right-of-way and Commercial Weed & Brush Control
C1-Forest Pest Control and Timber Treatment
C2-Christmas Trees
D-Aquatic Pest Control
E-Public Health Pest Control
F1-Industrial, Institutional, Structural and Health Related Pest Control (General Pest Control)
F2-Mosquito and Black Fly
F3-Termites and Wood Destroying Insects
F5-Pole Treating and Wood Preservation
F6-Food Handlers
F7-Sewer Root Control
F8-Microbial Pest Control
G1-Shade and Ornamental Pest Control
G2-Turf Pest Control
G3-Indoor-Foliar Pest Control
H-Demonstration & Research Pest Control
J-Aerial Pest Control

Do all of my employees need their own New Hampshire pesticide applicator certification?

The law requires that at least one member of each crew applying pesticides be in possession of, at least, an operational level license.

Do I need a New Hampshire pesticide applicator certification to apply general use pesticides for hire?


New Hampshire Pesticide Applicator Certifications

How do I become a certified pesticide applicator in New Hampshire?

Private Applicator-Restricted Use:

  1. Complete private applicator application
  2. Pay applicable fees
  3. Complete exam application
  4. Take and pass core and relevant category exams

Commercial (Not-for-Hire) Applicator-Supervisory:

  1. Complete commercial application
  2. Pay applicable fees
  3. Complete exam application
  4. Contact Division of Pesticide Control to schedule exam
  5. Take and pass core and relevant category exams

Commercial (For Hire) Applicator-Supervisory:

  1. Submit a resume form
  2. Complete application forms (sent by mail with approval letter)
  3. Pay applicable fees
  4. Complete exam application
  5. Pass core and relevant category exams, both written and oral

Commercial Applicator-Operational:

  1. Complete commercial application-Supervisor must sign
  2. Pay applicable fees
  3. Complete exam application
  4. Contact Division of Pesticide Control to schedule exam
  5. Take and pass core and relevant category exams

Who administers the pesticide exams in New Hampshire?

How do I schedule my New Hampshire pesticide exams?

Contact the Division of Pesticide Control or call (603) 271-3550

Where can I find reference materials for the New Hampshire pesticide exams?

Study materials are available through the University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension’s Pesticide Safety Education Program. (603) 351-3831

What fees are associated with New Hampshire pesticide applicator certification?

Pesticide Exam Fees

  • Dealer License Exam Fee - $5
  • Commercial Applicator License Exam Fee - $5
  • Private Applicator Restricted Use Permit Exam Fee - $5
  • Private Applicator General Use Permit - No exam/No Fee

Pesticide Licensing and Renewal Fees

  • Dealer License Fee - $20
  • Commercial Applicator License Fee - $20
  • Private Applicator Restricted Use Permit Exam Fee - $20
  • Private Applicator General Use Permit - $20

Pesticide Product Registration and Renewal Fees

  • New Product Registration Fee - $160
  • Product Registration Renewal Fee - $160

New Hampshire Pesticide Certification Renewals

What continuing education is required to renew a Pesticide Applicator’s Certification?

Commercial Applicators:

12 credits multiplied by the number of categories licensed

Private Applicators:

15 credits total

How do I renew my New Hampshire pesticide applicator certification?

All commercial and private applicators must recertify every 5 years by either taking the appropriate examinations during the 5th year OR by attending continuing education courses throughout the 5 year period and obtaining the required number of credits.

How long is my New Hampshire pesticide applicator certification valid?

5 years.

Worker Protection Standard (WPS) FAQs

How does it work?

  • $159 will train your whole staff for a year (up to 25 employees)
  • Training can be completed as often as needed for up to 25 employees.
  • Employees can watch the video course individually or all at once
  • Certificates will be available for each worker at the end of the course

Who is an Agricultural Worker?

An agricultural worker is anyone who works in a field that has been sprayed with pesticides within the last 30 days or does high-contact agricultural tasks such as weeding, moving irrigation equipment, pruning, and harvesting. Workers DO NOT handle pesticides.

Who is a Handler?

A handler is anyone who assists with applications, mixes, loads, or transfers pesticides into application equipment, cleans repairs, or maintains application equipment, works on equipment that has been used to mix, load, or apply, disposes of pesticides or materials with pesticides on them, acts as a flagger, performs tasks as a crop adviser, or applies pesticides.

Which Establishments are Required to Provide Worker Protection Standard Training?

The Worker Protection Standard (WPS) applies to all establishments involved in growing, producing, or maintaining for sale agricultural plants (including ornamental plants). This may include, but is not limited to:

  • Nurseries, garden centers, or other similar operations where plants are maintained for sale (retail or wholesale).
  • All Crop producing farms.
  • Dairy farms that produce hay for cattle.
  • Forestry Operations
  • Golf courses that produce their own sod
  • Public park operations that produce their own plants
  • Prisons that have "Prison Farms" where agricultural plants are produced and the prisoners are employed as workers or handlers.
  • The WPS also applies to any establishment operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment that applies WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural establishments or provides crop advising services for an agricultural establishment.

Which pesticide applicators are covered by the WPS?

Most establishments covered by the WPS are crop producing such as farms, forest operations or nurseries. WPS also covers family owned agricultural operations even if only family members handle and work around pesticides. Essentially, WPS applies to any entity that grows, maintains or produces agricultural plants.

The following facilities or operations that are not generally recognized as traditional agricultural production establishments are covered by the rule if they use WPS-labeled pesticide products:

  • Nurseries, garden centers or other similar operations
  • Dairy farms if they produce hay for cattle feed.
  • Golf courses that produce sod or ornamentals for their course
  • Public parks or privately-held ornamental garden operations that produce ornamental plants
  • Theme parks, hotels, or other entertainment operations that produce ornamentals for their locations
  • Prisons that have “prison farms” where plants are produced by employed prisoners
  • University extension agricultural research facilities that conduct research on agricultural plants
  • Educational classes or vocational agriculture programs where plant production is completed by students and students receive compensation or reduced tuition
  • Pine straw harvesting/production operations.
  • Government-owned or managed agricultural operations.

The WPS also applies to any entity operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment applying or advising the application of WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural commodities

What does Worker Protection Standard Require?


All employers must provide EPA approved pesticide training for workers and handlers. Employers must also provide access to specific information including: applications on the establishment, safety data sheets for pesticides applied on establishment, and display a poster with pesticide safety and emergency information.


Employers must keep workers and others out of areas where pesticides are being applied and away from equipment during applications. Handlers must stop application if workers or others are near equipment during applications. Workers must stay out of areas that are under a restricted-entry interval (REI). All early-entry workers on the job in in pesticide-treated areas during REI must be trained in the correct usage of personal protective equipment. Any handlers using highly toxic pesticides must be monitored. Personal protective equipment must be provided and monitored by employers.


The Worker Protection Standard course will train handlers and workers on supply decontamination and emergency assistance including transportation in the case of a pesticide-related accident.

More information on the requirements and how to comply can be found herehttps://goo.gl/bjfk8K 

When is Worker Protection Standard Required?

As of January 2nd, 2017 employers are required to train workers and handlers annually before pesticide application.

What has changed with Worker Protection Standards?

  • Full Training for Workers and Handlers is now required annually (Every year).
  • No grace period for training. Workers must be trained before they work in an area where pesticide has been used or an REI has been in effect in the past 30 days.
  • Handlers are no longer able to be the qualified person available during the training.
  • Expanded training content requirements.
  • Establishments must keep records of training for 2 years and provide records to Workers and Handlers if requested.
  • Handlers and early entry workers must be at least 18 years old.

Which Pesticides are included under Worker Protection Standards?

A pesticide product is covered by the WPS if the following statement is in the Directions for Use section on the product labeling:


Use this product only in accordance with its labeling and with the Worker Protection Standard, 40 CFR 170.

How can I contact the EPA with Worker Protection Standard questions?

More information may be found at the EPA Agricultural Worker Protection Standard website, or you may reach the EPA at one of the regional offices listed below.

EPA Region 1 (New England) - 888-372-7341 in the New England States, or 617-918-1111
EPA Region 2 - 887-251-4575
EPA Region 3 (Mid-Atlantic) - 800-428-2474 in Region 3, or 215-814-5122
EPA Region 4 (Southeast) - 800-241-1754 in Region 4, or 404-562-9900
EPA Region 5 - 800-621-8431 in Region 5, or 312-353-2000
EPA Region 6 (South Central) - 800-887-6063
EPA Region 7 (Midwest) - 800-223-0425 in Region 7, or 913-551-7003
EPA Region 8 (Mountains and Plains) - 800-227-8917 in Region 8, or 303-312-6312
EPA Region 9 (Pacific Southwest) - 866-372-9378 in Region 9, or 415-947-8000
EPA Region 10 (Pacific Northwest) - 800-424-4372 in Region 10, or 206-553-1200

Not sure what region you're in? Click here.

Who is required to provide WPS training?

Employers at agricultural establishments and commercial pesticide handling establishments such as farms, forests, nurseries, and greenhouses.

Does the Worker Protection Standard requirement apply to organic farming?

Yes! Worker Protection Standards apply to pesticides if the following statement is in the Directions for Use section on the product labeling:


Use this product only in accordance with its labeling and with the Worker Protection Standard, 40 CFR 170.

Core Exam Prep FAQs

What do I have to know to pass the Core Applicator Exam?

  • Up-to-date pest management information and your responsibilities as an applicator
  • Six general pest management methods and their application
  • "Integrated Pest Management (IPM)" solutions defined
  • Simplified federal pesticide laws and regulations that you will understand
  • "Restricted use" vs. "general use" pesticides
  • Learn to build an organized record keeping system
  • Pesticide label explanations for proper identification and use
  • Understand pesticide formulation and its effects
  • Common abbreviations for pesticide formulations (e.g. WP or RUP)
  • Typical symptoms of pesticide exposure in humans and harmful effects
  • Hazard level classification including corresponding signal words
  • Complete guide to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
  • Clear understanding of environmental effects of pesticides
  • Proper transportation, storage and security of pesticides
  • Emergency response and how to react
  • Choosing the proper pesticide and correct application procedures
  • Practice exam to test your knowledge

Who should take this online video course?

Anyone who is preparing to become a commercial or private pesticide applicator and plans on taking the National Pesticide Applicator Certification Core Exam. This course will give you everything you need to know to pass the exam on your first try. It is also an awesome tool for pesticide applicators who would like to refresh their knowledge or need to complete CEUs*.

*Please check with your state for current continuing education requirements.

Certified Crop Adviser (CCA) FAQs

What is a Certified Crop Adviser (CCA)?

The CCA certification was established by the American Society of Agronomy in 1992 to provide a benchmark for practicing agronomy professionals in the United States and Canada.

Who should become a Certified Crop Adviser?

Any adviser/consultant that spends the majority of their time advising growers or farm managers/operators on agronomic practices and can meet the standards of the program. Being certified adds credibility and shows that you are serious about what you do.

How do I become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Pass two exams (International and Local Board)
  2. Meet the experience requirements
  3. Apply for the CCA Credential

What are the minimum experience requirements for becoming a Certified Crop Adviser?

  • Have at least two years of experience with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree in an agronomy related field
    (Please keep in mind that University degrees and transcripts must be in English and based on the United States educational standard. If you need assistance in the translation process, you may use Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. or World Education Services)
    *The number of CCAs with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree is greater than 70%
  • Have at least three years of experience with an Associates Degree in an agronomy related field
  • Have at least four years of experience with no degree

How do I apply to become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Document education and crop advising experience (Including transcripts and supporting references)
  2. Sign and agree to uphold the CCA Code of Ethics (Included in application)

Once I become a Certified Crop Adviser, how do I maintain my certification?

  1. Earn 40 hours of continuing education units every 2 years
  2. Pay an annual renewal fee

How long is my Certified Crop Adviser certification valid?

2 years: your certification will expire December 31st two years after your initial certification date.

For example: if you became a CCA on any day between January 1st, 2018-December 31st, 2018--your expiration date would be December 31st, 2020.

Are your continuing education courses approved for CCA CEU Credit by the American Society of Agronomy?

Yes, many of our courses are approved by the American Society of Agronomy Board. On the state pages, the course description will say “Approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit”.

As a Certified Crop Adviser, am I required to take continuing education units in certain areas or topics?

Yes, the continuing education units you complete must fall within certain topic guidelines. The topic breakdown is as follows:

In each two year cycle, a CCA must complete a minimum of 5 CEUs in each of the 4 categories.

The categories are Nutrient Management, Soil and Water Management, Integrated Pest Management, and Crop Management.

At least 20 of the 40 total CEUs must be board approved.

Can I use your courses for credit for CCA continuing education requirements as well as my state licensing recertification requirements?

Yes, absolutely! Any course that is approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit can also be used for state pesticide applicator continuing education credits.