We Are Open & Here To Help!
Call Us 800-727-7104
Monday-Friday 8am-8pm EST

Renewal Deadline:

Commercial, Public, and Non-Commercial Applicators must renew their certification annually by December 31st.
Private Applicators must renew their certification every five years by December 31st.

CE Requirements:

CE Requirements differ by license. Click here for details.

Frequently Asked Questions

New Mexico Pesticide Applicator General Information

State Licensing Contact Information

Phone: (757) 646-3007
Fax: (505) 383-9294
Address: 3190 S. Espina, Las Cruces, New Mexico 88003
Email: pesticides@nmda.nmsu.edu
Web: New Mexico Department of Agriculture

What kind of New Mexico pesticide applicator license do I need?

You will need a license if you

  • Want to purchase, use, sell or recommend restricted-use-pesticides
  • Apply any pesticide (including general-use pesticides) for hire
  • Inspect structures for wood-destroying organisms

What kind of New Mexico pesticide applicator certification do I need?

Commercial Applicators – Anyone who applies any pesticides, including general-use pesticides, for hire. Commercial Operator/Technicians – Employees of Commercial Applicators who applies any pesticides. Private Applicators – Farmers and ranchers who use restricted-use pesticides in their agricultural production. Public Applicators – Employees of governmental entities whose job duties include pesticide applications (weed control, vector control, etc.) Noncommercial Applicators – Property owners or managers who use restricted- use pesticides. This is only for those at their place of business (apartment complexes, building managers, store owners, etc.) Pest Management Consultants – Persons who make recommendations regarding the use of restricted-use pesticides but never actually apply pesticides. Pesticide Dealers – Businesses that sell restricted-use pesticides.

What are the categories for pesticide licensing in New Mexico?

1A-Agricultural Pests: Using pesticides in agricultural crops to control insects and other invertebrates, plant diseases, nematodes, and similar pests 1B-Agricultural Weeds: Using pesticides in agricultural crops to control undesirable plants or as desiccants or defoliants 1C-Animal Pests: Using pesticides on pets or livestock and in places where animals are confined. This may be to control lice, mites, fleas, flies, and similar pests 2-Forest Pests & Weeds: Using pesticides in forests, forest nurseries, and forest seed producing areas 3A-Ornamental & Turf Pests: Using pesticides in ornamental trees, shrubs, flowers, and turf. This may be to control invertebrates, plant diseases, nematodes, and similar pests 3B-Ornamental & Turf Weeds: Using pesticides in ornamental trees, shrubs, flowers, and turf to control weeds 4-Seed Treatment: The treatment of seeds to control insects, plant diseases and other pests 5-Aquatic Pests & Weeds: Using pesticides in aquatic environments to control weeds, algae, undesirable fish, and other organisms. This excludes public health pests 6A-Wood Preservation: Treatment of wood products before their use in construction, and in-place treatment of utility poles, pilings, etc.. This may be to control wood destroying fungi or insects. 6B-Right-Of-Way & Industrial Weeds: Using pesticides to control vegetation along public roads, power lines, pipelines, or railways. Also using around oil wells, storage areas, airports and similar areas 7A-Structural Pests: Using pesticides to control general household pests (other than wood-destroying pests), fabric pests, and stored product pests 7B-Vertebrate Pests: Using pesticides to control rodents, birds, bats, and other vertebrates that invade structures 7C-Fumigation: Using pesticide gases to control pests in structures, railroad cars, stored grain and similar areas 7D-Wood-Destroying Pests: Using pesticides to control termites, carpenter ants, beetles, fungi, and other pests. The pests in question are those which attack wood and wood products in structures 8-Public Health Pests: Using pesticides to control mosquitoes, flies, fleas and other vectors that transmit human or animal diseases. 9-Regulatory (Quarantine) Pests: State, federal or other government employees using pesticides to control regulated and/or quarantined pests 10-Demonstration & Research: Using pesticides in research plots or demonstrating proper application techniques to the public 11-Other: Includes 11B, Cooling Towers; 11E, Worker Protection Standard; Predator Control using M-44 or LPC devices

Do all of my employees need their own New Mexico pesticide applicator certification?

Yes, all employees must either be certified Operators or Technicians.

Do I need a New Mexico pesticide applicator certification to apply general use pesticides for hire?


Does the state of New Mexico offer pesticide applicator reciprocity with other states?

Yes! Currently, New Mexico offers reciprocity with Texas. Applicants should:

  1. Contact New Mexico’s Department of Agriculture and request their test scores be faxed to TDA at (888) 216 – 9865.
  2. Complete Application for Pesticide license
    1. Commercial
    2. Noncommercial
  3. Return to TDA with fee.
  4. Pass TDA standards exam.

New Mexico Pesticide Applicator Certifications

How do I become a certified pesticide applicator in New Mexico?

  1. Sign up to receive your customer account with Metro Online Services.
  2. Apply for your New Mexico pesticide license. You’ll need the password you got when you opened your Metro account.
  3. NMDA will review your application and email your Approval or a request for more information. Your Approval will include your Pesticide Application ID number.
  4. Schedule and pay for your exam(s) with Metro. You’ll use your Pesticide Application ID number here too. If you prefer the paper exams at NMDA sessions, refer to the schedule below and call NMDA for reservations.

Once NMDA has approved your license application you will be able to schedule your exam(s). You may schedule through Metro at one of the computer-based testing centers. These are in Albuquerque, Farmington, Hobbs, Las Cruces, Portales and Santa Fe. Remember! You must wait 48 hours after you have been approved before scheduling your test.

Metro will charge $55 per exam, payable when you schedule. Individuals at the testing site will verify your identity, take your picture, and set up and proctor your exam. You will get your score and a detailed results print-out as soon as you complete the exam.

For information on Private Applicator licensing click here.

Who administers the New Mexico pesticide applicator exam?

Metro (NMDA)

How do I schedule my New Mexico pesticide exam?

Go online to your Metro Online Services account

Where can I find reference materials for the pesticide applicator exams in New Mexico?

Complete Study Material Order Form. Visit NMDA for more information.

Is the New Mexico pesticide exam open book?


What fees are associated with pesticide applicator certification in New Mexico?

Commercial Applicators:
Exam Fees: $55 per exam
License Fees: $75
Renewal Fees: $75
Late Fees: $150
Commercial Operator/Technician:
Exam Fees: $55
License Fees: $50
Renewal Fees: $50
Late Fees: $100
Private Applicators:
Exam Fees: $55
License Fees: $15
Renewal Fees: $15
Late Fees: $30
Public Applicators:
Exam Fees: $55

License Fees: None Renewal Fees: None
Late Fees: None

New Mexico Pesticide Certification Renewals

How do I renew my New Mexico pesticide applicator certification?

  1. Turn in a Signed Renewal Form
  2. Complete the required continuing education
    • Commercial Applicators – Need 4 CEU
    • Commercial Applicators with the 7D need 4 CEU and 4 termite CEU
    • Public Applicators need 4 CEU
    • Non-Commercial Applicators need 4 CEU
    • Private Applicators need 5 CEU
  3. Provide the appropriate renewal fees
    • Commercial Applicators – $75.00 per applicator
    • Operator Technicians – $50.00 per applicator
    • Termite Technicians  – $50.00 per applicator
    • Public Applicators – $0.00 per applicator
    • Non-Commercial Applicators – $75.00 per applicator
    • Pest Management Consultants – $75.00 per applicator
    • Private Applicators – $15.00 per applicator
  4. Provide a current Certificate of Liability Insurance (Commercial Applicators Only)
  5. Turn in all of the above by December 31st.

What continuing education is required to renew a pesticide applicator certification in New Mexico?

Commercial Applicators:

  • Commercial Applicators – 4 General CEUs
  • Commercial Applicators with the 7D – Wood Destroying Pest Category – 4 General CEUs and 4 Termite (7D) CEUs

Commercial Operators/Technicians:

  • Operator Technicians – 0 CEUs
  • Termite Technicians – 4 Termite (7D) CEUs

Private Applicators:

  • Private Applicators — 5 General CEUs

Public Applicators:

  • Public Applicators – 4 General CEUs
  • Public Applicators with the 7D – Wood Destroying Pest Category – 4 General CEUs and 4 Termite (7D) CEUs

Who submits my continuing education to the state?

We do!

Are your New Mexico pesticide applicator continuing education courses state-approved?

Yes, all of our continuing education courses have been approved by the NMDA, state approval numbers can be found next to course titles.

How long is my New Mexico pesticide applicator certification valid?

  • Commercial Applicators: 1 year
  • Commercial Operator/Technician: 1 year
  • Private Applicators: 5 years
  • Public Applicators: 1 year

My New Mexico pesticide applicator certification expired, how do I get it reinstated?

Retake the core and relevant category examinations.

Is there a grace period for renewing my New Mexico pesticide applicator certification?

One month, until January 31st.

Worker Protection Standard (WPS) FAQs

How does it work?

  • $159 will train your whole staff for a year (up to 25 employees)
  • Training can be completed as often as needed for up to 25 employees.
  • Employees can watch the video course individually or all at once
  • Certificates will be available for each worker at the end of the course

Who is an Agricultural Worker?

An agricultural worker is anyone who works in a field that has been sprayed with pesticides within the last 30 days or does high-contact agricultural tasks such as weeding, moving irrigation equipment, pruning, and harvesting. Workers DO NOT handle pesticides.

Who is a Handler?

A handler is anyone who assists with applications, mixes, loads, or transfers pesticides into application equipment, cleans repairs, or maintains application equipment, works on equipment that has been used to mix, load, or apply, disposes of pesticides or materials with pesticides on them, acts as a flagger, performs tasks as a crop adviser, or applies pesticides.

Which Establishments are Required to Provide Worker Protection Standard Training?

The Worker Protection Standard (WPS) applies to all establishments involved in growing, producing, or maintaining for sale agricultural plants (including ornamental plants). This may include, but is not limited to:

  • Nurseries, garden centers, or other similar operations where plants are maintained for sale (retail or wholesale).
  • All Crop producing farms.
  • Dairy farms that produce hay for cattle.
  • Forestry Operations
  • Golf courses that produce their own sod
  • Public park operations that produce their own plants
  • Prisons that have "Prison Farms" where agricultural plants are produced and the prisoners are employed as workers or handlers.
  • The WPS also applies to any establishment operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment that applies WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural establishments or provides crop advising services for an agricultural establishment.

Which pesticide applicators are covered by the WPS?

Most establishments covered by the WPS are crop producing such as farms, forest operations or nurseries. WPS also covers family owned agricultural operations even if only family members handle and work around pesticides. Essentially, WPS applies to any entity that grows, maintains or produces agricultural plants.

The following facilities or operations that are not generally recognized as traditional agricultural production establishments are covered by the rule if they use WPS-labeled pesticide products:

  • Nurseries, garden centers or other similar operations
  • Dairy farms if they produce hay for cattle feed.
  • Golf courses that produce sod or ornamentals for their course
  • Public parks or privately-held ornamental garden operations that produce ornamental plants
  • Theme parks, hotels, or other entertainment operations that produce ornamentals for their locations
  • Prisons that have “prison farms” where plants are produced by employed prisoners
  • University extension agricultural research facilities that conduct research on agricultural plants
  • Educational classes or vocational agriculture programs where plant production is completed by students and students receive compensation or reduced tuition
  • Pine straw harvesting/production operations.
  • Government-owned or managed agricultural operations.

The WPS also applies to any entity operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment applying or advising the application of WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural commodities

What does Worker Protection Standard Require?


All employers must provide EPA approved pesticide training for workers and handlers. Employers must also provide access to specific information including: applications on the establishment, safety data sheets for pesticides applied on establishment, and display a poster with pesticide safety and emergency information.


Employers must keep workers and others out of areas where pesticides are being applied and away from equipment during applications. Handlers must stop application if workers or others are near equipment during applications. Workers must stay out of areas that are under a restricted-entry interval (REI). All early-entry workers on the job in in pesticide-treated areas during REI must be trained in the correct usage of personal protective equipment. Any handlers using highly toxic pesticides must be monitored. Personal protective equipment must be provided and monitored by employers.


The Worker Protection Standard course will train handlers and workers on supply decontamination and emergency assistance including transportation in the case of a pesticide-related accident.

More information on the requirements and how to comply can be found herehttps://goo.gl/bjfk8K 

When is Worker Protection Standard Required?

As of January 2nd, 2017 employers are required to train workers and handlers annually before pesticide application.

What has changed with Worker Protection Standards?

  • Full Training for Workers and Handlers is now required annually (Every year).
  • No grace period for training. Workers must be trained before they work in an area where pesticide has been used or an REI has been in effect in the past 30 days.
  • Handlers are no longer able to be the qualified person available during the training.
  • Expanded training content requirements.
  • Establishments must keep records of training for 2 years and provide records to Workers and Handlers if requested.
  • Handlers and early entry workers must be at least 18 years old.

Which Pesticides are included under Worker Protection Standards?

A pesticide product is covered by the WPS if the following statement is in the Directions for Use section on the product labeling:


Use this product only in accordance with its labeling and with the Worker Protection Standard, 40 CFR 170.

How can I contact the EPA with Worker Protection Standard questions?

More information may be found at the EPA Agricultural Worker Protection Standard website, or you may reach the EPA at one of the regional offices listed below.

EPA Region 1 (New England) - 888-372-7341 in the New England States, or 617-918-1111
EPA Region 2 - 887-251-4575
EPA Region 3 (Mid-Atlantic) - 800-428-2474 in Region 3, or 215-814-5122
EPA Region 4 (Southeast) - 800-241-1754 in Region 4, or 404-562-9900
EPA Region 5 - 800-621-8431 in Region 5, or 312-353-2000
EPA Region 6 (South Central) - 800-887-6063
EPA Region 7 (Midwest) - 800-223-0425 in Region 7, or 913-551-7003
EPA Region 8 (Mountains and Plains) - 800-227-8917 in Region 8, or 303-312-6312
EPA Region 9 (Pacific Southwest) - 866-372-9378 in Region 9, or 415-947-8000
EPA Region 10 (Pacific Northwest) - 800-424-4372 in Region 10, or 206-553-1200

Not sure what region you're in? Click here.

Who is required to provide WPS training?

Employers at agricultural establishments and commercial pesticide handling establishments such as farms, forests, nurseries, and greenhouses.

Does the Worker Protection Standard requirement apply to organic farming?

Yes! Worker Protection Standards apply to pesticides if the following statement is in the Directions for Use section on the product labeling:


Use this product only in accordance with its labeling and with the Worker Protection Standard, 40 CFR 170.

Core Exam Prep FAQs

What do I have to know to pass the Core Applicator Exam?

  • Up-to-date pest management information and your responsibilities as an applicator
  • Six general pest management methods and their application
  • "Integrated Pest Management (IPM)" solutions defined
  • Simplified federal pesticide laws and regulations that you will understand
  • "Restricted use" vs. "general use" pesticides
  • Learn to build an organized record keeping system
  • Pesticide label explanations for proper identification and use
  • Understand pesticide formulation and its effects
  • Common abbreviations for pesticide formulations (e.g. WP or RUP)
  • Typical symptoms of pesticide exposure in humans and harmful effects
  • Hazard level classification including corresponding signal words
  • Complete guide to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
  • Clear understanding of environmental effects of pesticides
  • Proper transportation, storage and security of pesticides
  • Emergency response and how to react
  • Choosing the proper pesticide and correct application procedures
  • Practice exam to test your knowledge

Who should take this online video course?

Anyone who is preparing to become a commercial or private pesticide applicator and plans on taking the National Pesticide Applicator Certification Core Exam. This course will give you everything you need to know to pass the exam on your first try. It is also an awesome tool for pesticide applicators who would like to refresh their knowledge or need to complete CEUs*.

*Please check with your state for current continuing education requirements.

Certified Crop Adviser (CCA) FAQs

What is a Certified Crop Adviser (CCA)?

The CCA certification was established by the American Society of Agronomy in 1992 to provide a benchmark for practicing agronomy professionals in the United States and Canada.

Who should become a Certified Crop Adviser?

Any adviser/consultant that spends the majority of their time advising growers or farm managers/operators on agronomic practices and can meet the standards of the program. Being certified adds credibility and shows that you are serious about what you do.

How do I become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Pass two exams (International and Local Board)
  2. Meet the experience requirements
  3. Apply for the CCA Credential

What are the minimum experience requirements for becoming a Certified Crop Adviser?

  • Have at least two years of experience with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree in an agronomy related field
    (Please keep in mind that University degrees and transcripts must be in English and based on the United States educational standard. If you need assistance in the translation process, you may use Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. or World Education Services)
    *The number of CCAs with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree is greater than 70%
  • Have at least three years of experience with an Associates Degree in an agronomy related field
  • Have at least four years of experience with no degree

How do I apply to become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Document education and crop advising experience (Including transcripts and supporting references)
  2. Sign and agree to uphold the CCA Code of Ethics (Included in application)

Once I become a Certified Crop Adviser, how do I maintain my certification?

  1. Earn 40 hours of continuing education units every 2 years
  2. Pay an annual renewal fee

How long is my Certified Crop Adviser certification valid?

2 years: your certification will expire December 31st two years after your initial certification date.

For example: if you became a CCA on any day between January 1st, 2018-December 31st, 2018--your expiration date would be December 31st, 2020.

Are your continuing education courses approved for CCA CEU Credit by the American Society of Agronomy?

Yes, many of our courses are approved by the American Society of Agronomy Board. On the state pages, the course description will say “Approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit”.

As a Certified Crop Adviser, am I required to take continuing education units in certain areas or topics?

Yes, the continuing education units you complete must fall within certain topic guidelines. The topic breakdown is as follows:

In each two year cycle, a CCA must complete a minimum of 5 CEUs in each of the 4 categories.

The categories are Nutrient Management, Soil and Water Management, Integrated Pest Management, and Crop Management.

At least 20 of the 40 total CEUs must be board approved.

Can I use your courses for credit for CCA continuing education requirements as well as my state licensing recertification requirements?

Yes, absolutely! Any course that is approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit can also be used for state pesticide applicator continuing education credits.