State Licensing Contact Information

Phone: (518) 402-8748


NYSDEC-Bureau of Pesticides Management
625 Broadway
Albany, NY 12233-7254


Web: NY Department of Environmental Conservation

What kind of New York pesticide applicator license do I need?

Private Applicator License: Intended for the use or supervision of the use of restricted pesticides, including chemigation, when producing agricultural commodities on property owned or leased by the applicator.

Commercial Applicator/Technician License: Intended for pesticide use or supervision of pesticide use on property not owned or leased by the applicator.

What classifications of pesticide applicator licensing does New York have?

-Commercial Pesticide Applicator

-Commercial Pesticide Technician

-Private Pesticide Applicator

What are the categories for pesticide licensing in New York?

Commercial Pesticide Categories:

1A-Agricultural Plant
1B-Agricultural Animal
1C-Companion Animal
1D-Fumigation of Soil & Agricultural Commodities
2-Forest Pest Control
3A-Ornamentals, Shade Trees & Turf
3C-Interior Plant Maintenance
4-Seed Treatment
5A-Aquatic Vegetation Control
5B-Aquatic Insect & Misc. Aquatic Organisms Control
5C-Aquatic Fish Control
5D-Aquatic Antifouling Paints
5E-Sewer Line Root Control
6A-Right-of-Way Vegetation Control
6B- Right-of-Way in Place Pole treatments
7A-Structural & Rodent Control
7D-Lumber & Wood Products
7F-Food Processing
7G-Cooling Towers, Pulp & Paper Process
8-Public Health Pest Control
9-Regulatory Pest Control
10-Demonstration & Research Pest Control
11-Aerial Pilot
12-Sales (of Restricted Use Pesticides)
13-Aquatic Antifouling Paint Applicator

Private Pesticide Categories:

21-Field & Forage
24-Greenhouse & Florist
25-Nursery, Ornamentals & Turf
31-Agricultural Animal Pest Control
41-Aquatic Pest Control

Click here for category descriptions.

Does New York offer pesticide applicator reciprocity with other states?

Yes, the NYDEC has reciprocity agreements with the following states:

-New Jersey
-Rhode Island

Click here to view category equivalents and instructions.

Return to Top


How do I become a licensed pesticide applicator in New York?

Click here to view instructions for becoming a certified pesticide applicator

The application form can be found here.

What are the eligibility requirements to become a pesticide applicator in New York?

Certified Commercial Pesticide Applicator:

An individual must meet at least one or more of the following eligibility requirements to become a certified commercial pesticide applicator:

  • one year of verifiable experience as a technician with an additional 12 hours of category-specific recertification training; or
  • two years of verifiable experience as a technician; or
  • three years of verifiable full-time experience as an apprentice working in the category or categories in which the individual is seeking certification; or
  • three years of verifiable experience as a certified private applicator in a corresponding private category; or
  • certification in another state that New York State has reciprocity; or
  • three years experience in the sale of pesticides or industrial chemicals, or can otherwise demonstrate, through applicable training certificates or educational degrees, that the individual possesses appropriate technical background, as determined by the department, if seeking pesticide applicator certification in the Sales Category.

NOTE: All of the above experience and/or training must have been earned within the last five years to meet the eligibility requirements. All verifiable experience letters must be signed in the presence of a notary public by both the individual seeking applicator certification and their supervising applicator. With the exception of reciprocity, all applicants must also successfully pass the core and appropriate category examination(s).

Certified Commercial Pesticide Technician:

For an individual to be eligible for commercial pesticide technician certification, the individual must:

  • be at least 17 years of age at the time of application; and
  • have successfully completed a comprehensive 30-hour training course, approved by the department; or
  • have received a baccalaureate or associate degree from an accredited college or university which covers the topics listed in Section 325.18, and related categories in Sections 325.16 or 325.17; or
  • have two years of verifiable experience as an apprentice.
  • Individuals must also pass the core and appropriate category examination(s).

Certified Private Pesticide Applicator:

An individual shall be eligible for private applicator certification if that individual has met the following experience and/or training requirements and has successfully passed the necessary examinations.

  • The applicant must be at least 17 years of age at the time of application; and
  • have at least one year of full-time experience within the last three years in the use of pesticides in the category or categories that the individual is seeking certification; or
  • have completed a comprehensive 30-hour training course, approved by the department; or
  • have received an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university which covers the topics listed in Section 325.18, and related categories in Sections 325.16 or 325.17; or
  • have one year of verifiable experience as a commercial applicator in a corresponding commercial category.
  • Individuals must also pass the core and appropriate category examination(s).

Who administers the New York pesticide applicator exams?

New York Bureau of Pesticide Management

How do I schedule my New York pesticide exam?

Contact the Regional office in which you would like to take the exam.

The Pesticide Certification Exam Registration Form can be found here.

Click here for further information.

Where can I find reference materials for the New York pesticide exams?  

Cornell University’s Pesticide Management Education Program

What do I need to know about the New York pesticide applicator exam?

The Core exam is 50 multiple choice questions, closed-book and based on the core manual and the Department’s pesticide laws and regulations.

Category/subcategory exams are 50 multiple choice questions, open book, and are based on the category/subcategory manual, the Department’s pesticide laws and regulations and the WPS How-to-Comply Manual.

The commercial applicator recertification exam is closed book.

Further information about the exams, including how to schedule and what to bring can be found here.

What fees are associated with New York pesticide applicator certification?

  • Exam Fee (All Categories): $100
  • Commercial Technician (Any 1 Category): $450
  • Commercial Applicator (First/Only Category): $450
    • Each Additional Category: $150
  • Aquatic Anti-Fouling Paint Applicator (Category 13): $450
  • Private Applicator (Primary, Any Category): $25
  • Private Applicator (Secondary (Same farm/business), Any Category): $5

Return to Top


What continuing education is required to renew a New York pesticide certification?

-3 Credits are required for category 12

-5 Credits are required for categories 1C, 4, 5D, 5E, 7G, 9, 10, & 13

-6 Credits are required for categories 1B, 1D, 2, 7B, 7D, & 11

-8 Credits are required for categories 1A, 5A, 5B, 5C, 6A, 6B, 7C, 8, 31,* & 41*

-10 Credits are required for categories 3A, 3B, 3C, 21,* 22,* 23,* 24,* & 25*

-12 Credits are required for categories 7A & 7F

*Private Pesticide Categories

Recertification Note: Core credits count for all categories; however, of the total amount of continuing education credits required for each category a minimum of 25% must be specific to that particular category. The remaining 75% due can be category specific, core, or any combination of the two. For example: An applicator on a 3 Year cycle recertifying in Category 7A must earn at least 3 credits in Category 7A and the remaining 9 credits due can be either all Category specific (7A), all core, or a combination of core and 7A.

Who submits my New York pesticide applicator continuing education to the state?

We do! Our in-house submission specialist submits your completion certificates for you once you have completed all portions of the course (including quizzes/exams).

How do I renew my New York pesticide applicator license?

Every applicator is required to either submit recertification training credits at the end of their certification cycle or take a recertification examination. Individuals can visit the NYSPAD portal to view their recertification date(s) or upcoming courses available.

The recertification application can be found here.

Please Note: An individual should only take a particular course once within a twelve month period. Any course taken more than once within twelve months of each other, will only be counted once and the repeat(s) will be disregarded. Private applicators cannot earn all of their recertification credits in one calendar year, ONLY commercial applicators on a three year certification cycle can do so.

Are your New York pesticide applicator continuing education courses state-approved?

Yes, New York course approval numbers can be found in the course titles.

How long is my New York pesticide license valid?

Commercial Applicator & Technician licenses must be renewed 3 years from the date of issuance.

Private Applicator licenses must be renewed 5 years from the date of issuance.

Return to Top


How does it work?

  • $159 will train your whole staff for a year (up to 25 employees)
  • Training can be completed as often as needed for up to 25 employees
  • Employees can watch the video course individually or all at once
  • Certificates will be available for each worker at the end of the course

Who is an agricultural worker?

An agricultural worker is anyone who works in a field that has been sprayed with pesticides within the last 30 days or does high-contact agricultural tasks such as weeding, moving irrigation equipment, pruning and harvesting. Workers DO NOT handle pesticides.

Who is a handler?

A handler is anyone who:

  • Assists with applications
  • Mixes, loads or transfers pesticides into application equipment
  • Cleans, repairs or maintains application equipment
  • Works on equipment that has been used to mix, load or apply pesticides
  • Disposes of pesticides or materials with pesticides on them
  • Acts as a flagger
  • Performs tasks as a crop adviser
  • Applies pesticides

Which establishments are required to provide Worker Protection Standard Training?

The Worker Protection Standard (WPS) applies to all establishments involved in growing, producing, or maintaining for sale agricultural plants (including ornamental plants).

This may include, but is not limited to:

  • Nurseries, garden centers, or other similar operations where plants are maintained for sale (retail or wholesale)
  • All crop producing farms
  • Dairy farms that produce hay for cattle
  • Forestry operations
  • Golf courses that produce their own sod
  • Public park operations that produce their own plants
  • Prisons that have "Prison Farms" where agricultural plants are produced and the prisoners are employed as workers or handlers
  • The WPS also applies to any establishment operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment that applies WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural establishments or provides crop advising services for an agricultural establishment

Which pesticide applicators are covered by the Worker Protection Standard?

Most establishments covered by the WPS are crop producing farms, forest operations or nurseries. WPS also covers family owned agricultural operations even if only family members handle and work around pesticides. Essentially, WPS applies to any entity that grows, maintains or produces agricultural plants.

The following facilities or operations that are not generally recognized as traditional agricultural production establishments are covered by the rule if they use WPS-labeled pesticide products:

  • Nurseries, garden centers or other similar operations
  • Dairy farms if they produce hay for cattle feed
  • Golf courses that produce sod or ornamentals for their course
  • Public parks or privately-held ornamental garden operations that produce ornamental plants
  • Theme parks, hotels or other entertainment operations that produce ornamentals for their locations
  • Prisons that have "prison farms" where plants are produced by employed prisoners
  • University extension agricultural research facilities that conduct research on agricultural plants
  • Educational classes or vocational agriculture programs where plant production is completed by students and students receive compensation or reduced tuition
  • Pine straw harvesting/production operations
  • Government-owned or managed agricultural operations

The WPS also applies to any entity operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment applying or advising the application of WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural commodities.

What does Worker Protection Standard require?


All employers must provide EPA approved pesticide training for workers and handlers. Employers must also provide access to specific information including: applications on the establishment, safety data sheets for pesticides applied on establishment, and display a poster with pesticide safety and emergency information.


Employers must keep workers and others out of areas where pesticides are being applied and away from equipment during applications. Handlers must stop application if workers or others are near equipment during applications. Workers must stay out of areas that are under a restricted-entry interval (REI). All early-entry workers on the job in in pesticide-treated areas during REI must be trained in the correct usage of personal protective equipment. Any handlers using highly toxic pesticides must be monitored. Personal protective equipment must be provided and monitored by employers.


The Worker Protection Standard course will train handlers and workers on supply decontamination and emergency assistance including transportation in the case of a pesticide-related accident.

More information on the Worker Protection Standard requirements and how to comply can be found here.

When is Worker Protection Standard required?

As of January 2nd, 2017 employers are required to train workers and handlers annually before pesticide application.

What has changed with Worker Protection Standards?

  • Full training for workers and handlers is now required annually (every year).
  • No grace period for training. Workers must be trained before they work in an area where pesticide has been used or an REI has been in effect in the past 30 days.
  • Handlers are no longer able to be the qualified person available during the training.
  • Expanded training content requirements.
  • Establishments must keep records of training for 2 years and provide records to workers and handlers if requested.
  • Handlers and early entry workers must be at least 18 years old.

Which Pesticides are included under the Worker Protection Standards?

The Worker Protection Standard covers both general and restricted use pesticide that are used in the production of agricultural plants, these products will generally have an "Agricultural Use Requirements" section on the product label. The WPS applies whenever a pesticide is used in the production of agricultural plants on an agricultural establishment that has an “Agricultural Use Requirements” section on the product label.

How can I contact the EPA with Worker Protection Standard questions?

Please visit the EPA's Pesticide Work Safety Website to find answers to further questions and contact information.

Who is required to complete WPS training?

Employers at agricultural establishments and commercial pesticide handling establishments such as farms, forests, nurseries, and greenhouses.

Return to Top


What do I have to know to pass the Core Applicator Exam?

  • Up-to-date pest management information and your responsibilities as an applicator
  • Six general pest management methods and their application
  • "Integrated Pest Management (IPM)" solutions defined
  • Simplified federal pesticide laws and regulations that you will understand
  • "Restricted use" vs. "general use" pesticides
  • Learn to build an organized record keeping system
  • Pesticide label explanations for proper identification and use
  • Understand pesticide formulation and its effects
  • Common abbreviations for pesticide formulations (e.g. WP or RUP)
  • Typical symptoms of pesticide exposure in humans and harmful effects
  • Hazard level classification including corresponding signal words
  • Complete guide to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
  • Clear understanding of environmental effects of pesticides
  • Proper transportation, storage and security of pesticides
  • Emergency response and how to react
  • Choosing the proper pesticide and correct application procedures
  • Practice exam to test your knowledge

Who should take this online video course?

Anyone who is preparing to become a commercial or private pesticide applicator and plans on taking the National Pesticide Applicator Certification Core Exam. This course will give you everything you need to know to pass the exam on your first try. It is also an awesome tool for pesticide applicators who would like to refresh their knowledge or need to complete CEUs*.

*Please check with your state for current continuing education requirements.

This is the most thorough online pesticide exam prep available!

Return to Top


What is a Certified Crop Adviser (CCA)?

The CCA certification was established by the American Society of Agronomy in 1992 to provide a benchmark for practicing agronomy professionals in the United States and Canada.

Who should become a Certified Crop Adviser?

Any adviser/consultant that spends the majority of their time advising growers or farm managers/operators on agronomic practices and can meet the standards of the program. Being certified adds credibility and shows that you are serious about what you do.

How do I become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Pass two exams (International and Local Board)
  2. Meet the experience requirements
  3. Apply for the CCA Credential

What are the minimum experience requirements for becoming a Certified Crop Adviser?

  • Have at least two years of experience with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree in an agronomy related field
    (Please keep in mind that University degrees and transcripts must be in English and based on the United States educational standard. If you need assistance in the translation process, you may use Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. or World Education Services)
    *The number of CCAs with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree is greater than 70%

  • Have at least three years of experience with an Associates Degree in an agronomy related field
  • Have at least four years of experience with no degree

How do I apply to become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Document education and crop advising experience (Including transcripts and supporting references)
  2. Sign and agree to uphold the CCA Code of Ethics (Included in application)

Once I become a Certified Crop Adviser, how do I maintain my certification?

  1. Earn 40 hours of continuing education units every 2 years
  2. Pay an annual renewal fee

How long is my Certified Crop Adviser certification valid?

2 years: your certification will expire December 31st two years after your initial certification date.

For example: if you became a CCA on any day between January 1st, 2018-December 31st, 2018--your expiration date would be December 31st, 2020.

Are your continuing education courses approved for CCA CEU Credit by the American Society of Agronomy?

Yes, many of our courses are approved by the American Society of Agronomy Board. On the state pages, the course description will say “Approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit”.

As a Certified Crop Adviser, am I required to take continuing education units in certain areas or topics?

Yes, the continuing education units you complete must fall within certain topic guidelines. The topic breakdown is as follows:

In each two year cycle, a CCA must complete a minimum of 5 CEUs in each of the 4 categories.

The categories are Nutrient Management, Soil and Water Management, Integrated Pest Management, and Crop Management.

At least 20 of the 40 total CEUs must be board approved.

Can I use your courses for credit for CCA continuing education requirements as well as my state licensing recertification requirements?

Yes, absolutely! Any course that is approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit can also be used for state pesticide applicator continuing education credits.

Return to Top

  • Information Last Updated: 05/2020
  • Did you find incorrect information? Email Us