We Are Open & Here To Help!
Call Us 800-727-7104
Monday-Friday 8am-8pm EST

Frequently Asked Questions

Ohio Pesticide Applicator General Information

Ohio Department of Agriculture Pesticide Licensing Contact Information

Phone: (614) 728-6987
Fax: (614) 728-4235
Address: Pesticide & Fertilizer Section
Ohio Department of Agriculture
8995 E Main St Bldg 23
Reynoldsburg OH 43068
Email: pesticides@agri.ohio.gov
Web: Ohio Department of Agriculture

What kind of Ohio pesticide applicator license do I need?

Private Pesticide Applicator License: Any individual who uses or directly supervises the use of any restricted use pesticide for purposes of producing any agricultural commodity on property owned or rented by him or his employer.

Commercial Pesticide Applicator License: Any individual who personally or by his/her agent owns or operates a pesticide business or who applies either general or restricted use pesticides to the property of another without direct supervision; applies restricted use pesticides to the property of his/her employer; or applies either general or restricted use pesticides to Federal, State or Local public property.

Pesticide Business & Business Location License: Any location that is used for the purpose of engaging in the business of applying pesticides to the property of another for hire.

Pesticide Solicitation Business License: Any location that only solicits to obtain business for a contracted pesticide application business. This license type is prohibited from making pesticide applications.

Pesticide Dealer License: Any person who distributes Restricted Use Pesticides.

What are the categories for Ohio pesticide licensing?

Private Categories:

1-Grain and Cereal Crops
2-Forage Crops and Livestock
3-Fruit and Vegetable Crops
4-Nursery and Forest Crops
5-Greenhouse Crops
7-Specialty Uses

Commercial Categories:

1-Aerial Pests
2a-Agronomic Pests
2b-Horticulture Pests
2c-Agricultural Weed
2d-Seed Treatment
2e-Tobacco Suckering
2f-Soil Fumigation
3a-General Aquatic Pests
3b-Boat Antifoulant
3c-Sewer Root
4a-Forest Pests
4b-Wood Preservation
5-Industrial Vegetation
6a-Ornamental Pests
6b-Interior Plantscape
6c-Ornamental Weed
6d-Greenhouse Pests
7-Vertebrate Animal
8-Turf Pests
9-Livestock/Animal Pests
10a-General Pests
10d-Mosquito, House Fly
11-Livestock Predator
12-Wood Destroying Insect Diagnostic Inspection (WDI)

Click here to view category descriptions.

Does my company need a separate pesticide business license in Ohio?


Do I need an Ohio pesticide applicator license to apply general use pesticides for hire?


Does Ohio offer pesticide applicator reciprocity with other states?

Private Applicators: Indiana, Michigan Pennsylvania and West Virginia

Click here to view more information about private applicator reciprocity.

Commercial Applicators: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia

Click here to view more information about commercial applicator reciprocity.

Ohio Pesticide Applicator Certifications

How do I become an Ohio licensed pesticide applicator?

Private Applicators:

  1. Submit Private Applicator application
  2. Pay $30 license fee
  3. Take and pass Core and Category exams

Commercial Applicators:

  1. Submit Commercial Applicator application
  2. Pay $35 license fee
  3. Take and pass Core and Category exams

Who administers the Ohio pesticide applicator exams?

Ohio Department of Agriculture

How do I schedule my Ohio pesticide applicator exam?

Click here to schedule your exam.

Where can I find reference materials for the Ohio pesticide applicator exams?

Click here to view Private Applicator exam study materials.

Click here to view Commercial Applicator exam study materials.

What fees are associated with Ohio pesticide applicator certification?

Exam Fees: $0

License Fees:
Private: $30
Commercial: $35

Renewal Fees:
Private: $30
Commercial: $35

Late Fees:
Private: $0
Commercial: $17.50

Ohio Pesticide Applicator Renewals

What continuing education is required to renew an Ohio pesticide applicator license?

Private: 3 recertification hours every 3 years

Commercial: 5 recertification hours every 3 years

How do I renew my Ohio pesticide applicator license?


  1. Submit the renewal application (the renewal form will be mailed to you)
  2. Pay the license fee
  3. Either have at least 3 recertification hours, or take the appropriate exams again


  1. Submit the renewal application annually (the renewal form will be mailed to you)
  2. Pay the license fee annually
  3. Every 3 years: either have at least 5 recertification hours, or retake the appropriate exams

How long is my Ohio pesticide applicator license valid?

3 years.

My Ohio pesticide applicator license has expired, how do I get it reinstated?

If your license is expired, you must re-apply and re-test in order to have your license reinstated.

Is there a grace period for renewing my Ohio pesticide applicator license?

Until March 31st (about 180 days).

Worker Protection Standard (WPS) FAQs

How does it work?

  • $159 will train your whole staff for a year (up to 25 employees)
  • Training can be completed as often as needed for up to 25 employees.
  • Employees can watch the video course individually or all at once
  • Certificates will be available for each worker at the end of the course

Who is an Agricultural Worker?

An agricultural worker is anyone who works in a field that has been sprayed with pesticides within the last 30 days or does high-contact agricultural tasks such as weeding, moving irrigation equipment, pruning, and harvesting. Workers DO NOT handle pesticides.

Who is a Handler?

A handler is anyone who assists with applications, mixes, loads, or transfers pesticides into application equipment, cleans repairs, or maintains application equipment, works on equipment that has been used to mix, load, or apply, disposes of pesticides or materials with pesticides on them, acts as a flagger, performs tasks as a crop adviser, or applies pesticides.

Which Establishments are Required to Provide Worker Protection Standard Training?

The Worker Protection Standard (WPS) applies to all establishments involved in growing, producing, or maintaining for sale agricultural plants (including ornamental plants). This may include, but is not limited to:

  • Nurseries, garden centers, or other similar operations where plants are maintained for sale (retail or wholesale).
  • All Crop producing farms.
  • Dairy farms that produce hay for cattle.
  • Forestry Operations
  • Golf courses that produce their own sod
  • Public park operations that produce their own plants
  • Prisons that have "Prison Farms" where agricultural plants are produced and the prisoners are employed as workers or handlers.
  • The WPS also applies to any establishment operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment that applies WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural establishments or provides crop advising services for an agricultural establishment.

Which pesticide applicators are covered by the WPS?

Most establishments covered by the WPS are crop producing such as farms, forest operations or nurseries. WPS also covers family owned agricultural operations even if only family members handle and work around pesticides. Essentially, WPS applies to any entity that grows, maintains or produces agricultural plants.

The following facilities or operations that are not generally recognized as traditional agricultural production establishments are covered by the rule if they use WPS-labeled pesticide products:

  • Nurseries, garden centers or other similar operations
  • Dairy farms if they produce hay for cattle feed.
  • Golf courses that produce sod or ornamentals for their course
  • Public parks or privately-held ornamental garden operations that produce ornamental plants
  • Theme parks, hotels, or other entertainment operations that produce ornamentals for their locations
  • Prisons that have "prison farms" where plants are produced by employed prisoners
  • University extension agricultural research facilities that conduct research on agricultural plants
  • Educational classes or vocational agriculture programs where plant production is completed by students and students receive compensation or reduced tuition
  • Pine straw harvesting/production operations.
  • Government-owned or managed agricultural operations.

The WPS also applies to any entity operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment applying or advising the application of WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural commodities

What does Worker Protection Standard Require?


All employers must provide EPA approved pesticide training for workers and handlers. Employers must also provide access to specific information including: applications on the establishment, safety data sheets for pesticides applied on establishment, and display a poster with pesticide safety and emergency information.


Employers must keep workers and others out of areas where pesticides are being applied and away from equipment during applications. Handlers must stop application if workers or others are near equipment during applications. Workers must stay out of areas that are under a restricted-entry interval (REI). All early-entry workers on the job in in pesticide-treated areas during REI must be trained in the correct usage of personal protective equipment. Any handlers using highly toxic pesticides must be monitored. Personal protective equipment must be provided and monitored by employers.


The Worker Protection Standard course will train handlers and workers on supply decontamination and emergency assistance including transportation in the case of a pesticide-related accident.

More information on the requirements and how to comply can be found herehttps://goo.gl/bjfk8K 

When is Worker Protection Standard Required?

As of January 2nd, 2017 employers are required to train workers and handlers annually before pesticide application.

What has changed with Worker Protection Standards?

  • Full Training for Workers and Handlers is now required annually (Every year).
  • No grace period for training. Workers must be trained before they work in an area where pesticide has been used or an REI has been in effect in the past 30 days.
  • Handlers are no longer able to be the qualified person available during the training.
  • Expanded training content requirements.
  • Establishments must keep records of training for 2 years and provide records to Workers and Handlers if requested.
  • Handlers and early entry workers must be at least 18 years old.

Which Pesticides are included under Worker Protection Standards?

A pesticide product is covered by the WPS if the following statement is in the Directions for Use section on the product labeling:


Use this product only in accordance with its labeling and with the Worker Protection Standard, 40 CFR 170.

How can I contact the EPA with Worker Protection Standard questions?

More information may be found at the EPA Agricultural Worker Protection Standard website, or you may reach the EPA at one of the regional offices listed below.

EPA Region 1 (New England) - 888-372-7341 in the New England States, or 617-918-1111
EPA Region 2 - 887-251-4575
EPA Region 3 (Mid-Atlantic) - 800-428-2474 in Region 3, or 215-814-5122
EPA Region 4 (Southeast) - 800-241-1754 in Region 4, or 404-562-9900
EPA Region 5 - 800-621-8431 in Region 5, or 312-353-2000
EPA Region 6 (South Central) - 800-887-6063
EPA Region 7 (Midwest) - 800-223-0425 in Region 7, or 913-551-7003
EPA Region 8 (Mountains and Plains) - 800-227-8917 in Region 8, or 303-312-6312
EPA Region 9 (Pacific Southwest) - 866-372-9378 in Region 9, or 415-947-8000
EPA Region 10 (Pacific Northwest) - 800-424-4372 in Region 10, or 206-553-1200

Not sure what region you're in? Click here.

Who is required to provide WPS training?

Employers at agricultural establishments and commercial pesticide handling establishments such as farms, forests, nurseries, and greenhouses.

Does the Worker Protection Standard requirement apply to organic farming?

Yes! Worker Protection Standards apply to pesticides if the following statement is in the Directions for Use section on the product labeling:


Use this product only in accordance with its labeling and with the Worker Protection Standard, 40 CFR 170.

Core Exam Prep FAQs

What do I have to know to pass the Core Applicator Exam?

  • Up-to-date pest management information and your responsibilities as an applicator
  • Six general pest management methods and their application
  • "Integrated Pest Management (IPM)" solutions defined
  • Simplified federal pesticide laws and regulations that you will understand
  • "Restricted use" vs. "general use" pesticides
  • Learn to build an organized record keeping system
  • Pesticide label explanations for proper identification and use
  • Understand pesticide formulation and its effects
  • Common abbreviations for pesticide formulations (e.g. WP or RUP)
  • Typical symptoms of pesticide exposure in humans and harmful effects
  • Hazard level classification including corresponding signal words
  • Complete guide to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
  • Clear understanding of environmental effects of pesticides
  • Proper transportation, storage and security of pesticides
  • Emergency response and how to react
  • Choosing the proper pesticide and correct application procedures
  • Practice exam to test your knowledge

Who should take this online video course?

Anyone who is preparing to become a commercial or private pesticide applicator and plans on taking the National Pesticide Applicator Certification Core Exam. This course will give you everything you need to know to pass the exam on your first try. It is also an awesome tool for pesticide applicators who would like to refresh their knowledge or need to complete CEUs*.

*Please check with your state for current continuing education requirements.

Certified Crop Adviser (CCA) FAQs

What is a Certified Crop Adviser (CCA)?

The CCA certification was established by the American Society of Agronomy in 1992 to provide a benchmark for practicing agronomy professionals in the United States and Canada.

Who should become a Certified Crop Adviser?

Any adviser/consultant that spends the majority of their time advising growers or farm managers/operators on agronomic practices and can meet the standards of the program. Being certified adds credibility and shows that you are serious about what you do.

How do I become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Pass two exams (International and Local Board)
  2. Meet the experience requirements
  3. Apply for the CCA Credential

What are the minimum experience requirements for becoming a Certified Crop Adviser?

  • Have at least two years of experience with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree in an agronomy related field
    (Please keep in mind that University degrees and transcripts must be in English and based on the United States educational standard. If you need assistance in the translation process, you may use Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. or World Education Services)
    *The number of CCAs with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree is greater than 70%
  • Have at least three years of experience with an Associates Degree in an agronomy related field
  • Have at least four years of experience with no degree

How do I apply to become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Document education and crop advising experience (Including transcripts and supporting references)
  2. Sign and agree to uphold the CCA Code of Ethics (Included in application)

Once I become a Certified Crop Adviser, how do I maintain my certification?

  1. Earn 40 hours of continuing education units every 2 years
  2. Pay an annual renewal fee

How long is my Certified Crop Adviser certification valid?

2 years: your certification will expire December 31st two years after your initial certification date.

For example: if you became a CCA on any day between January 1st, 2018-December 31st, 2018--your expiration date would be December 31st, 2020.

Are your continuing education courses approved for CCA CEU Credit by the American Society of Agronomy?

Yes, many of our courses are approved by the American Society of Agronomy Board. On the state pages, the course description will say "Approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit".

As a Certified Crop Adviser, am I required to take continuing education units in certain areas or topics?

Yes, the continuing education units you complete must fall within certain topic guidelines. The topic breakdown is as follows:

In each two year cycle, a CCA must complete a minimum of 5 CEUs in each of the 4 categories.

The categories are Nutrient Management, Soil and Water Management, Integrated Pest Management, and Crop Management.

At least 20 of the 40 total CEUs must be board approved.

Can I use your courses for credit for CCA continuing education requirements as well as my state licensing recertification requirements?

Yes, absolutely! Any course that is approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit can also be used for state pesticide applicator continuing education credits.