State Licensing Contact Information

Phone: (405) 522-5950

Fax: (405) 522-0625


Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food & Forestry
Consumer Protection Services
2800 North Lincoln Blvd.
PO Box 528804
Oklahoma City, OK 73152-8804

Web: Oklahoma Department of Agriculture

What pesticide application activities require a license in Oklahoma?

A pesticide applicator license is required for anyone to act, operate, do business, or advertise commercially or non-commercially.

What kind of Oklahoma pesticide applicator license do I need?

Commercial Applicator: Any person who engages in commercial application of pesticides or commercial employment of devices. “Commercial application” means advertising of services, recommendation for use, the preparation for application, and physical act of applying pesticides for hire or compensation.

Non-commercial Applicator: Any person, other than a commercial or private applicator, who uses or supervises the use of a restricted use pesticide under the supervision of a person who owns or manages the property, and who has been certified to be competent by the Board with respect to the use and handling of restricted use pesticides in the same manner as required for a commercial applicator. Includes government employees in the discharge of their official duties.

What classifications of pesticide applicator licensing does Oklahoma have?

Certified Applicator - Any person who has met the certification standards established by the Oklahoma State Board of Agriculture with respect to pesticides. Certification standards shall be in the form of written and/or practical examinations.

Service Technician - Any person employed by a licensed commercial or non-commercial applicator who applies the pesticide or employs a device but is not the certified applicator.  A service technician or certified applicator shall be present at each application performed.

Private Applicator: Any person who uses or supervises the use of any restricted use pesticide for purposes of producing any agricultural commodity on property owned or rented by the person or his employer or on the property of another person (if applied without compensation other than trading of agricultural commodities or personal services between producers).

What are the categories for Oklahoma pesticide licensing?

1A-Agricultural Plant
1B-Agricultural Animal
3a-Ornamental and Turf Outdoor
4-Seed Treatment
7a-General Pest
7b-Structural Pest
8-Public Health
9-Regulatory Pest Control
10-Demonstration and Research
11a-Bird and Vertebrate Animal Pests
11b-Predatory Animal
12a-Pressure Facility Timber Treating
12b-Ground Line Utility Pole Timber Treating
12c-Construction Industry Timber Treating
12d-Home Owner Timber Treating
14a-Sewer Root
14b-Cooling Towards

Does Oklahoma offer pesticide applicator reciprocity with other states?

Oklahoma currently has formal agreements with Arkansas, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Mexico and Texas.

To receive credit for test scores, an applicator must:

  1. Have a valid license in the appropriate state
  2. Have originally tested in that state
  3. Have test scores sent to the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food & Forestry by that state

Return to Top


How do I become an Oklahoma certified pesticide applicator?

Private Applicators:

  1. Complete Private Applicator exam

Commercial Applicators:

  1. Provide proof of financial responsibility
  2. Complete required exams
  3. Submit application & pay fees

Who administers the Oklahoma pesticide applicator exams?

Oklahoma Department of Agriculture

How do I schedule my Oklahoma pesticide applicator exam?

Contact the PSI

Where can I find reference materials for the Oklahoma pesticide exams?

Oklahoma State University Central Mailing Service

What fees are associated with Oklahoma pesticide applicator licensing?

-Commercial Business License: $100 per category; not more than $500 per year

-Noncommercial Business License: $50 per category; not more than $250 per year

-Examinations: $50 (this includes initial certification (core test), categories, service technicians)

-Issuance or Renewal of Service Technician identification: $20

-Issuance of duplicate licenses, certificates or transfer of a service technician identification: $10

-Each re-certification procedure (re-certification by continuing education units or retest: $50)

-Reciprocal certification: $100 per category

-Private Applicator License: $20

Return to Top


What continuing education is required to renew an Oklahoma pesticide applicator certification?

Click here to see CEU requirement details.

Who submits my continuing education to the state?

We do! Our submission specialist will submit your attendance verification to the state once you have completed all portions of the course.

How do I renew my Oklahoma pesticide applicator certification?

Re-certification for certified applicators is possible through two channels:

-Applicator takes the written category exam (each test is updated every five years)


-Applicator collects enough CEU’s to re-certify in a category

Please note: At this time service technicians and private applicators can re-certify only through written examination

Are your Oklahoma pesticide continuing education courses state-approved?

Yes! Oklahoma Department of Agriculture approval numbers can be found in the course titles.

How long is my Oklahoma pesticide applicator certification valid?

The licensing period is annual, January 1 thru December 31 of each year.  All currently licensed commercial and non-commercial applicators must apply for license renewal each year.

Re-certification for certified applicators, service technicians, and private applicators is based on predetermined five-year cycles of certification periods.  These certification periods determine the expiration dates of an individual's certification.  An applicator's personal certification is in effect until the category re-certifies.

Return to Top


How does it work?

  • $159 will train your whole staff for a year (up to 25 employees)
  • Training can be completed as often as needed for up to 25 employees
  • Employees can watch the video course individually or all at once
  • Certificates will be available for each worker at the end of the course

Who is an agricultural worker?

An agricultural worker is anyone who works in a field that has been sprayed with pesticides within the last 30 days or does high-contact agricultural tasks such as weeding, moving irrigation equipment, pruning and harvesting. Workers DO NOT handle pesticides.

Who is a handler?

A handler is anyone who:

  • Assists with applications
  • Mixes, loads or transfers pesticides into application equipment
  • Cleans, repairs or maintains application equipment
  • Works on equipment that has been used to mix, load or apply pesticides
  • Disposes of pesticides or materials with pesticides on them
  • Acts as a flagger
  • Performs tasks as a crop adviser
  • Applies pesticides

Which establishments are required to provide Worker Protection Standard Training?

The Worker Protection Standard (WPS) applies to all establishments involved in growing, producing, or maintaining for sale agricultural plants (including ornamental plants).

This may include, but is not limited to:

  • Nurseries, garden centers, or other similar operations where plants are maintained for sale (retail or wholesale)
  • All crop producing farms
  • Dairy farms that produce hay for cattle
  • Forestry operations
  • Golf courses that produce their own sod
  • Public park operations that produce their own plants
  • Prisons that have "Prison Farms" where agricultural plants are produced and the prisoners are employed as workers or handlers
  • The WPS also applies to any establishment operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment that applies WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural establishments or provides crop advising services for an agricultural establishment

Which pesticide applicators are covered by the Worker Protection Standard?

Most establishments covered by the WPS are crop producing farms, forest operations or nurseries. WPS also covers family owned agricultural operations even if only family members handle and work around pesticides. Essentially, WPS applies to any entity that grows, maintains or produces agricultural plants.

The following facilities or operations that are not generally recognized as traditional agricultural production establishments are covered by the rule if they use WPS-labeled pesticide products:

  • Nurseries, garden centers or other similar operations
  • Dairy farms if they produce hay for cattle feed
  • Golf courses that produce sod or ornamentals for their course
  • Public parks or privately-held ornamental garden operations that produce ornamental plants
  • Theme parks, hotels or other entertainment operations that produce ornamentals for their locations
  • Prisons that have "prison farms" where plants are produced by employed prisoners
  • University extension agricultural research facilities that conduct research on agricultural plants
  • Educational classes or vocational agriculture programs where plant production is completed by students and students receive compensation or reduced tuition
  • Pine straw harvesting/production operations
  • Government-owned or managed agricultural operations

The WPS also applies to any entity operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment applying or advising the application of WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural commodities.

What does Worker Protection Standard require?


All employers must provide EPA approved pesticide training for workers and handlers. Employers must also provide access to specific information including: applications on the establishment, safety data sheets for pesticides applied on establishment, and display a poster with pesticide safety and emergency information.


Employers must keep workers and others out of areas where pesticides are being applied and away from equipment during applications. Handlers must stop application if workers or others are near equipment during applications. Workers must stay out of areas that are under a restricted-entry interval (REI). All early-entry workers on the job in in pesticide-treated areas during REI must be trained in the correct usage of personal protective equipment. Any handlers using highly toxic pesticides must be monitored. Personal protective equipment must be provided and monitored by employers.


The Worker Protection Standard course will train handlers and workers on supply decontamination and emergency assistance including transportation in the case of a pesticide-related accident.

More information on the Worker Protection Standard requirements and how to comply can be found here.

When is Worker Protection Standard required?

As of January 2nd, 2017 employers are required to train workers and handlers annually before pesticide application.

What has changed with Worker Protection Standards?

  • Full training for workers and handlers is now required annually (every year).
  • No grace period for training. Workers must be trained before they work in an area where pesticide has been used or an REI has been in effect in the past 30 days.
  • Handlers are no longer able to be the qualified person available during the training.
  • Expanded training content requirements.
  • Establishments must keep records of training for 2 years and provide records to workers and handlers if requested.
  • Handlers and early entry workers must be at least 18 years old.

Which Pesticides are included under the Worker Protection Standards?

The Worker Protection Standard covers both general and restricted use pesticide that are used in the production of agricultural plants, these products will generally have an "Agricultural Use Requirements" section on the product label. The WPS applies whenever a pesticide is used in the production of agricultural plants on an agricultural establishment that has an “Agricultural Use Requirements” section on the product label.

How can I contact the EPA with Worker Protection Standard questions?

Please visit the EPA's Pesticide Work Safety Website to find answers to further questions and contact information.

Who is required to complete WPS training?

Employers at agricultural establishments and commercial pesticide handling establishments such as farms, forests, nurseries, and greenhouses.

Return to Top


What do I have to know to pass the Core Applicator Exam?

  • Up-to-date pest management information and your responsibilities as an applicator
  • Six general pest management methods and their application
  • "Integrated Pest Management (IPM)" solutions defined
  • Simplified federal pesticide laws and regulations that you will understand
  • "Restricted use" vs. "general use" pesticides
  • Learn to build an organized record keeping system
  • Pesticide label explanations for proper identification and use
  • Understand pesticide formulation and its effects
  • Common abbreviations for pesticide formulations (e.g. WP or RUP)
  • Typical symptoms of pesticide exposure in humans and harmful effects
  • Hazard level classification including corresponding signal words
  • Complete guide to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
  • Clear understanding of environmental effects of pesticides
  • Proper transportation, storage and security of pesticides
  • Emergency response and how to react
  • Choosing the proper pesticide and correct application procedures
  • Practice exam to test your knowledge

Who should take this online video course?

Anyone who is preparing to become a commercial or private pesticide applicator and plans on taking the National Pesticide Applicator Certification Core Exam. This course will give you everything you need to know to pass the exam on your first try. It is also an awesome tool for pesticide applicators who would like to refresh their knowledge or need to complete CEUs*.

*Please check with your state for current continuing education requirements.

This is the most thorough online pesticide exam prep available!

Return to Top


What is a Certified Crop Adviser (CCA)?

The CCA certification was established by the American Society of Agronomy in 1992 to provide a benchmark for practicing agronomy professionals in the United States and Canada.

Who should become a Certified Crop Adviser?

Any adviser/consultant that spends the majority of their time advising growers or farm managers/operators on agronomic practices and can meet the standards of the program. Being certified adds credibility and shows that you are serious about what you do.

How do I become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Pass two exams (International and Local Board)
  2. Meet the experience requirements
  3. Apply for the CCA Credential

What are the minimum experience requirements for becoming a Certified Crop Adviser?

  • Have at least two years of experience with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree in an agronomy related field
    (Please keep in mind that University degrees and transcripts must be in English and based on the United States educational standard. If you need assistance in the translation process, you may use Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. or World Education Services)
    *The number of CCAs with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree is greater than 70%

  • Have at least three years of experience with an Associates Degree in an agronomy related field
  • Have at least four years of experience with no degree

How do I apply to become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Document education and crop advising experience (Including transcripts and supporting references)
  2. Sign and agree to uphold the CCA Code of Ethics (Included in application)

Once I become a Certified Crop Adviser, how do I maintain my certification?

  1. Earn 40 hours of continuing education units every 2 years
  2. Pay an annual renewal fee

How long is my Certified Crop Adviser certification valid?

2 years: your certification will expire December 31st two years after your initial certification date.

For example: if you became a CCA on any day between January 1st, 2018-December 31st, 2018--your expiration date would be December 31st, 2020.

Are your continuing education courses approved for CCA CEU Credit by the American Society of Agronomy?

Yes, many of our courses are approved by the American Society of Agronomy Board. On the state pages, the course description will say “Approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit”.

As a Certified Crop Adviser, am I required to take continuing education units in certain areas or topics?

Yes, the continuing education units you complete must fall within certain topic guidelines. The topic breakdown is as follows:

In each two year cycle, a CCA must complete a minimum of 5 CEUs in each of the 4 categories.

The categories are Nutrient Management, Soil and Water Management, Integrated Pest Management, and Crop Management.

At least 20 of the 40 total CEUs must be board approved.

Can I use your courses for credit for CCA continuing education requirements as well as my state licensing recertification requirements?

Yes, absolutely! Any course that is approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit can also be used for state pesticide applicator continuing education credits.

Return to Top

  • Information Last Updated: 03/2021
  • Did you find incorrect information? Email Us