State Licensing Contact Information

Texas Department of Agriculture

Phone: (877) 542-2474
Fax: (800) 909-8534
Email: license.inquiry@TexasAgriculture.gov
Web: Texas Department of Agriculture
Address: P.O. box 12847
                 Austin, TX 78701

What classifications of pesticide applicator licensing does Texas have?

Agricultural Pest Control Licenses:

Commercial Pesticide Applicator—Applies pesticides for a fee.
Private Pesticide Applicator—Applies pesticides to one’s property.
Noncommercial Pesticide Applicator—Applies pesticides for a job duty.
Noncommercial Political Applicator—Applies pesticides for a government agency.

Structural Pest Control Licenses:

Business License—Employs Structural Pest Control Personnel
Certified Applicator—Applies pesticides inside structures
Technician—Applies pesticides inside structures
Apprentice—Applies pesticides inside structures

What are the categories for pesticide licensing in Texas?

1—Agricultural Pest Control
1A—Agriculture: Field Crop Pest Control
1B—Agriculture: Fruit, Nut & Vegetable Pest Control
1C—Agriculture: Pasture & Rangeland
1D—Agriculture: Vertebrate Pest Control
1E—Agriculture: Farm Commodity Pest Control
1F—Agriculture: Animal Health
1G—Agriculture: Citrus Pest Control
1H—Agriculture: Livestock Protection Collar
1I—Agriculture: M-44
2—Forest Pest Control
3A—Lawn & Ornamental Pest Control: Landscape Maintenance
3B—Lawn & Ornamental Pest Control: Nursery Plant Production
4—Seed Treatments
5—Vegetation Management
6—Aquatic Pest Control
7—Demonstration & Research
8—Regulatory Pest Control
9—Soil Fumigation
12—Public Health Pest Control

Does my company need a separate Texas pesticide applicator certification?


Does the state of Texas offer pesticide applicator licensing reciprocity with other states?

Yes! Texas offers reciprocity with Arkansas, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Mexico, Ohio, and Oklahoma. To apply, nonresident applicators should contact their state department and request that their test scores are faxed to TDA (888) 216-9865.  Then the applicator needs to complete an Application for commercial Pesticide License or an Application for Noncommercial Applicator license and turn it into to TDA with a fee.  Next, the Applicator will need to pass TD’s general standards exams.

Return to Top


How do I become a certified Texas pesticide applicator?

Agricultural Applicators click here for more information.

Structural Applicators click here for more information.

Who administers the Texas pesticide applicator exam?

PSI Services administers pesticide applicator exams.

How do I schedule my Texas pesticide applicator exam?

Click here to learn more about pesticide applicator testing.

What fees are associated with pesticide applicator certification in Texas

Private Applicators: $100
Agricultural Commercial: $200
Agricultural Noncommercial License: $140
Agricultural Noncommercial Political License: $75

Structural Pest Control Business License: $300
Technician & Apprentice License: $125

Return to Top


What continuing education is required to renew a Texas pesticide applicator certification?

Agricultural Certification Requirements:

Commercial, Noncommercial & Noncommercial Political Applicators must complete 5 CEU’s each year to be eligible to renew, with one credit each from to of the following categories: laws & regulations, integrated pest management or drift minimization.

Private Applicators
must obtain 15 CEU’s during each 5 year renewal cycle, including 2 credits in laws & regulations and 2 credits in integrated pest management.

Structural Certification Requirements:

Certified Applicators must obtain 2 credits in general training and 1 credit in each category in which the applicator is certified. Of the 2 general training units required for recertification, at least 1 must be in federal & state laws, pesticide safety, environmental protection, or integrated pest management. The other may be in any general topic.

must complete 8 hours of verifiable training each year. The 8 hours must be from the following subject areas:

                -Federal & state laws regulating structural pest control and pesticide application
                -Recognition of pest and pest damage
                -Pesticide labels and label comprehension
                -Pesticide safety
                -Environmental protection
                -Application equipment & techniques
                -Pesticide formulations & actions
                -Emergency procedures & pesticide cleanup, and procedures for the immediate reporting of spills and misapplications
                -Basic principles of mathematics, chemistry, toxicology & entomology
                -Non-chemical pest control techniques including biological, mechanical & IPM techniques

Internet training may be used if the certified applicator certifies that the training is the appropriate training.

Who submits my Texas pesticide applicator continuing education to the state?

We do! Once you have completed all of your courses, our submission specialist will submit your continuing education courses to the state for you.

How do I renew my Texas pesticide applicator certification?

  1. Complete the required continuing education
  2. TDA will send out renewal forms 45 days prior to renewal.
    The invoice is mailed to the contact address on file.  If your address has changed, it is imperative that you update the information with TDA.  Failure to do so may result in failure to receive the invoice.  This, in turn, may cause your payment to be late, resulting in a substantial late fee.

Are your Texas pesticide applicator continuing education courses state-approved?

Yes, all of our continuing education courses have been approved by the Texas Department of Agriculture. Course approval numbers can be found within the course titles.

How long is my Texas pesticide applicator certification valid?

Agricultural Certifications:

Commercial & Noncommercial licenses must be renewed annually by the date of original licensure.
Private Applicator licenses must be renewed every 5 years by the date of original licensure.

Structural Certifications:

Structural applicators’ licenses expire when their employer business license expires. CEU’s must be completed the previous calendar year (Jan 1-December 31) to be eligible to renew. Applicators do not have to obtain CEU’s during the first calendar year they are certified.

Is there a grace period for renewing my Texas pesticide applicator license?

Applicators who fail to renew their license by their expiration date will incur a late fee.

  • 90 days or less – Licenses that are overdue 90 days or less will incur a 50% late fee.
  • 90 days or more – Licenses that are overdue 100 days or more will incur a late fee of 100% the renewal fee.

Return to Top


How does it work?

  • $159 will train your whole staff for a year (up to 25 employees)
  • Training can be completed as often as needed for up to 25 employees
  • Employees can watch the video course individually or all at once
  • Certificates will be available for each worker at the end of the course

Who is an agricultural worker?

An agricultural worker is anyone who works in a field that has been sprayed with pesticides within the last 30 days or does high-contact agricultural tasks such as weeding, moving irrigation equipment, pruning and harvesting. Workers DO NOT handle pesticides.

Who is a handler?

A handler is anyone who:

  • Assists with applications
  • Mixes, loads or transfers pesticides into application equipment
  • Cleans, repairs or maintains application equipment
  • Works on equipment that has been used to mix, load or apply pesticides
  • Disposes of pesticides or materials with pesticides on them
  • Acts as a flagger
  • Performs tasks as a crop adviser
  • Applies pesticides

Which establishments are required to provide Worker Protection Standard Training?

The Worker Protection Standard (WPS) applies to all establishments involved in growing, producing, or maintaining for sale agricultural plants (including ornamental plants).

This may include, but is not limited to:

  • Nurseries, garden centers, or other similar operations where plants are maintained for sale (retail or wholesale)
  • All crop producing farms
  • Dairy farms that produce hay for cattle
  • Forestry operations
  • Golf courses that produce their own sod
  • Public park operations that produce their own plants
  • Prisons that have "Prison Farms" where agricultural plants are produced and the prisoners are employed as workers or handlers
  • The WPS also applies to any establishment operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment that applies WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural establishments or provides crop advising services for an agricultural establishment

Which pesticide applicators are covered by the Worker Protection Standard?

Most establishments covered by the WPS are crop producing farms, forest operations or nurseries. WPS also covers family owned agricultural operations even if only family members handle and work around pesticides. Essentially, WPS applies to any entity that grows, maintains or produces agricultural plants.

The following facilities or operations that are not generally recognized as traditional agricultural production establishments are covered by the rule if they use WPS-labeled pesticide products:

  • Nurseries, garden centers or other similar operations
  • Dairy farms if they produce hay for cattle feed
  • Golf courses that produce sod or ornamentals for their course
  • Public parks or privately-held ornamental garden operations that produce ornamental plants
  • Theme parks, hotels or other entertainment operations that produce ornamentals for their locations
  • Prisons that have "prison farms" where plants are produced by employed prisoners
  • University extension agricultural research facilities that conduct research on agricultural plants
  • Educational classes or vocational agriculture programs where plant production is completed by students and students receive compensation or reduced tuition
  • Pine straw harvesting/production operations
  • Government-owned or managed agricultural operations

The WPS also applies to any entity operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment applying or advising the application of WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural commodities.

What does Worker Protection Standard require?


All employers must provide EPA approved pesticide training for workers and handlers. Employers must also provide access to specific information including: applications on the establishment, safety data sheets for pesticides applied on establishment, and display a poster with pesticide safety and emergency information.


Employers must keep workers and others out of areas where pesticides are being applied and away from equipment during applications. Handlers must stop application if workers or others are near equipment during applications. Workers must stay out of areas that are under a restricted-entry interval (REI). All early-entry workers on the job in in pesticide-treated areas during REI must be trained in the correct usage of personal protective equipment. Any handlers using highly toxic pesticides must be monitored. Personal protective equipment must be provided and monitored by employers.


The Worker Protection Standard course will train handlers and workers on supply decontamination and emergency assistance including transportation in the case of a pesticide-related accident.

More information on the Worker Protection Standard requirements and how to comply can be found here.

When is Worker Protection Standard required?

As of January 2nd, 2017 employers are required to train workers and handlers annually before pesticide application.

What has changed with Worker Protection Standards?

  • Full training for workers and handlers is now required annually (every year).
  • No grace period for training. Workers must be trained before they work in an area where pesticide has been used or an REI has been in effect in the past 30 days.
  • Handlers are no longer able to be the qualified person available during the training.
  • Expanded training content requirements.
  • Establishments must keep records of training for 2 years and provide records to workers and handlers if requested.
  • Handlers and early entry workers must be at least 18 years old.

Which Pesticides are included under the Worker Protection Standards?

The Worker Protection Standard covers both general and restricted use pesticide that are used in the production of agricultural plants, these products will generally have an "Agricultural Use Requirements" section on the product label. The WPS applies whenever a pesticide is used in the production of agricultural plants on an agricultural establishment that has an “Agricultural Use Requirements” section on the product label.

How can I contact the EPA with Worker Protection Standard questions?

Please visit the EPA's Pesticide Work Safety Website to find answers to further questions and contact information.

Who is required to complete WPS training?

Employers at agricultural establishments and commercial pesticide handling establishments such as farms, forests, nurseries, and greenhouses.

Return to Top


What do I have to know to pass the Core Applicator Exam?

  • Up-to-date pest management information and your responsibilities as an applicator
  • Six general pest management methods and their application
  • "Integrated Pest Management (IPM)" solutions defined
  • Simplified federal pesticide laws and regulations that you will understand
  • "Restricted use" vs. "general use" pesticides
  • Learn to build an organized record keeping system
  • Pesticide label explanations for proper identification and use
  • Understand pesticide formulation and its effects
  • Common abbreviations for pesticide formulations (e.g. WP or RUP)
  • Typical symptoms of pesticide exposure in humans and harmful effects
  • Hazard level classification including corresponding signal words
  • Complete guide to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
  • Clear understanding of environmental effects of pesticides
  • Proper transportation, storage and security of pesticides
  • Emergency response and how to react
  • Choosing the proper pesticide and correct application procedures
  • Practice exam to test your knowledge

Who should take this online video course?

Anyone who is preparing to become a commercial or private pesticide applicator and plans on taking the National Pesticide Applicator Certification Core Exam. This course will give you everything you need to know to pass the exam on your first try. It is also an awesome tool for pesticide applicators who would like to refresh their knowledge or need to complete CEUs*.

*Please check with your state for current continuing education requirements.

This is the most thorough online pesticide exam prep available!

Return to Top


What is a Certified Crop Adviser (CCA)?

The CCA certification was established by the American Society of Agronomy in 1992 to provide a benchmark for practicing agronomy professionals in the United States and Canada.

Who should become a Certified Crop Adviser?

Any adviser/consultant that spends the majority of their time advising growers or farm managers/operators on agronomic practices and can meet the standards of the program. Being certified adds credibility and shows that you are serious about what you do.

How do I become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Pass two exams (International and Local Board)
  2. Meet the experience requirements
  3. Apply for the CCA Credential

What are the minimum experience requirements for becoming a Certified Crop Adviser?

  • Have at least two years of experience with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree in an agronomy related field
    (Please keep in mind that University degrees and transcripts must be in English and based on the United States educational standard. If you need assistance in the translation process, you may use Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. or World Education Services)
    *The number of CCAs with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree is greater than 70%

  • Have at least three years of experience with an Associates Degree in an agronomy related field
  • Have at least four years of experience with no degree

How do I apply to become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Document education and crop advising experience (Including transcripts and supporting references)
  2. Sign and agree to uphold the CCA Code of Ethics (Included in application)

Once I become a Certified Crop Adviser, how do I maintain my certification?

  1. Earn 40 hours of continuing education units every 2 years
  2. Pay an annual renewal fee

How long is my Certified Crop Adviser certification valid?

2 years: your certification will expire December 31st two years after your initial certification date.

For example: if you became a CCA on any day between January 1st, 2018-December 31st, 2018--your expiration date would be December 31st, 2020.

Are your continuing education courses approved for CCA CEU Credit by the American Society of Agronomy?

Yes, many of our courses are approved by the American Society of Agronomy Board. On the state pages, the course description will say “Approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit”.

As a Certified Crop Adviser, am I required to take continuing education units in certain areas or topics?

Yes, the continuing education units you complete must fall within certain topic guidelines. The topic breakdown is as follows:

In each two year cycle, a CCA must complete a minimum of 5 CEUs in each of the 4 categories.

The categories are Nutrient Management, Soil and Water Management, Integrated Pest Management, and Crop Management.

At least 20 of the 40 total CEUs must be board approved.

Can I use your courses for credit for CCA continuing education requirements as well as my state licensing recertification requirements?

Yes, absolutely! Any course that is approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit can also be used for state pesticide applicator continuing education credits.

Return to Top

  • Information Last Updated: 02/2021
  • Did you find incorrect information? Email Us