State Licensing Contact Information

Utah Department of Agriculture & Food

Phone: (801) 538-4925
Fax: (801) 538-7126
Email: UDAF-pesticide@utah.gov
Web: Utah Department of Agriculture & Food
Address: c/o Pesticide Program
                 350 North Redwood Road
                 PO Box 146500
                 Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6500

What pesticide application activities require a license in Utah?

If ANY pesticide is used in the process of making, in the state of Utah, you need a Utah commercial pesticide applicator license.

What kind of Utah pesticide applicator license do I need?

-Commercial Pesticide Business License: If your company applies pesticides on the lands of another, for hire, then you must have a commercial pesticide business license, in addition to applicator license(s). Landscapers, some construction, lawn-care businesses, pest control, and similar concerns that use any type of pesticide must have this license.

-Commercial Pesticide Applicator License: Any person who uses any (not only Restricted Use) pesticide for hire or compensation.   If you use a pesticide for your business, are paid by somebody to use pesticide, or are part of a pesticide business you likely need this type of license.   Landscapers, some construction, lawn-care businesses and similar concerns that use any type of pesticide must have this license.

-Non-Commercial Pesticide Applicator License: Any person working as an individual or an employee of a firm, entity, or government agency who uses or demonstrates the use of any restricted-use pesticide and who does not qualify as a private or commercial applicator.   Schools, land management government agencies, city, and county employees are examples.   Some Non-Commercial Pesticide Applicator employers require their employees to be licensed to apply any pesticide.  Some insurance companies require employees of their insured to be licensed to apply any pesticide.

-Private Pesticide Applicator License: Any person or his employer who uses or supervises the use of any restricted-use pesticide for the purpose of producing any agricultural commodity on property owned or rented by him or his employer.   Additionally, it is a significant benefit to any agricultural producer that uses a pesticide to have their license to help address the Worker Protection Standards (WPS).  UDAF would recommend that anybody working on an establishment that produces and agricultural plant, and uses any pesticides, should obtain a license where they are able to.

What are the categories for pesticide licensing in Utah?

1a – Agricultural Plant
1b—Agricultural Animal
3—Ornamental & Turf
4—Seed Treatment
5a—Aquatic-Surface Water
5b—Aquatic-Sewer Root Control
7—Structural & Health-Related
8—Public Health
10—Demonstration, Consultation & Research
11—Aerial Application
13—Fumigation/Stored Commodities

Does my company need a separate Utah pesticide applicator certification?


Do all of my employees need their own Utah pesticide applicator certification?


Do I need a Utah pesticide applicator license to apply general use pesticides for hire?


Does the state of Utah offer pesticide applicator reciprocity with other states?

Yes, the State of Utah will reciprocate a Pesticide Applicator’s License from most states if the steps are followed.

  1. The first step in getting an out of state pesticide applicator’s license, reciprocated in the State of Utah is to have a “Letter of Good Standing” from the state the license is coming from.
  2. Next, have on hand the $65.00 fee via credit card or E-check (checks can be left blank).
  3. The third step in getting an out-of-state license reciprocated in the State of Utah is to scan in your Driver’s License, Current License (Front and Back) from the state UDAF is reciprocating with. Also, if applicable, your FAA Pilot’s License for the aerial category.
  4. The final step is submitting the above-mentioned information and forms, and, if applicable, your FAA Pilot’s License to UDAF-Pesticide@utah.gov or you can also take pictures of each item and attach them to an email as photos. If that doesn’t work you can mail each item to: Department of Agriculture - Pesticides, 350 N Redwood Rd, Salt Lake City, UT 84116

Return to Top


How do I become a certified Utah pesticide applicator?

  1. Complete training offered by USU Extension
  2. Pay USU fee
  3. Complete applicable exams
  4. Submit application and fee to the UDAF

Who administers the Utah pesticide applicator exams?

Utah Department of Agriculture & Food

How do I schedule my Utah pesticide applicator exam?

Click here to learn more about scheduling an exam.

Return to Top


What continuing education is required to renew my Utah pesticide applicator license?

Commercial & Non-Commercial Pesticide Applicators - 24 CEU

  • 2 Hours Pesticide Law
  • 6 Hours Pesticide Safety
  • 10 Hours Pesticide Use
  • 6 Hours Elective

Private Applicators - 6 CEU 

  • 1 Hours Pesticide Law
  • 1 Hours Pesticide Safety
  • 1 Hours Pesticide Use
  • 3 Hours Elective

When do re-certification hours need to be received by the state?

By the 3rd anniversary of your initial licensure date.

Who submits my continuing education to the state?

You will submit your continuing education certificates to the state.

How do I renew my Utah pesticide applicator certification?

Complete the required continuing education OR retake the appropriate modules and tests that are appropriate for the license type and categories held.

Are your Utah pesticide applicator continuing education courses state-approved?

Yes, all of our courses are approved by the Utah Department of Agriculture. Course approval numbers are listed within the course titles.

How long is my Utah pesticide applicator license valid?

3 years

My Utah pesticide applicator license expired, how do I get it reinstated?

Re-test and re-apply

Return to Top


How does it work?

  • $159 will train your whole staff for a year (up to 25 employees)
  • Training can be completed as often as needed for up to 25 employees
  • Employees can watch the video course individually or all at once
  • Certificates will be available for each worker at the end of the course

Who is an agricultural worker?

An agricultural worker is anyone who works in a field that has been sprayed with pesticides within the last 30 days or does high-contact agricultural tasks such as weeding, moving irrigation equipment, pruning and harvesting. Workers DO NOT handle pesticides.

Who is a handler?

A handler is anyone who:

  • Assists with applications
  • Mixes, loads or transfers pesticides into application equipment
  • Cleans, repairs or maintains application equipment
  • Works on equipment that has been used to mix, load or apply pesticides
  • Disposes of pesticides or materials with pesticides on them
  • Acts as a flagger
  • Performs tasks as a crop adviser
  • Applies pesticides

Which establishments are required to provide Worker Protection Standard Training?

The Worker Protection Standard (WPS) applies to all establishments involved in growing, producing, or maintaining for sale agricultural plants (including ornamental plants).

This may include, but is not limited to:

  • Nurseries, garden centers, or other similar operations where plants are maintained for sale (retail or wholesale)
  • All crop producing farms
  • Dairy farms that produce hay for cattle
  • Forestry operations
  • Golf courses that produce their own sod
  • Public park operations that produce their own plants
  • Prisons that have "Prison Farms" where agricultural plants are produced and the prisoners are employed as workers or handlers
  • The WPS also applies to any establishment operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment that applies WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural establishments or provides crop advising services for an agricultural establishment

Which pesticide applicators are covered by the Worker Protection Standard?

Most establishments covered by the WPS are crop producing farms, forest operations or nurseries. WPS also covers family owned agricultural operations even if only family members handle and work around pesticides. Essentially, WPS applies to any entity that grows, maintains or produces agricultural plants.

The following facilities or operations that are not generally recognized as traditional agricultural production establishments are covered by the rule if they use WPS-labeled pesticide products:

  • Nurseries, garden centers or other similar operations
  • Dairy farms if they produce hay for cattle feed
  • Golf courses that produce sod or ornamentals for their course
  • Public parks or privately-held ornamental garden operations that produce ornamental plants
  • Theme parks, hotels or other entertainment operations that produce ornamentals for their locations
  • Prisons that have "prison farms" where plants are produced by employed prisoners
  • University extension agricultural research facilities that conduct research on agricultural plants
  • Educational classes or vocational agriculture programs where plant production is completed by students and students receive compensation or reduced tuition
  • Pine straw harvesting/production operations
  • Government-owned or managed agricultural operations

The WPS also applies to any entity operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment applying or advising the application of WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural commodities.

What does Worker Protection Standard require?


All employers must provide EPA approved pesticide training for workers and handlers. Employers must also provide access to specific information including: applications on the establishment, safety data sheets for pesticides applied on establishment, and display a poster with pesticide safety and emergency information.


Employers must keep workers and others out of areas where pesticides are being applied and away from equipment during applications. Handlers must stop application if workers or others are near equipment during applications. Workers must stay out of areas that are under a restricted-entry interval (REI). All early-entry workers on the job in in pesticide-treated areas during REI must be trained in the correct usage of personal protective equipment. Any handlers using highly toxic pesticides must be monitored. Personal protective equipment must be provided and monitored by employers.


The Worker Protection Standard course will train handlers and workers on supply decontamination and emergency assistance including transportation in the case of a pesticide-related accident.

More information on the Worker Protection Standard requirements and how to comply can be found here.

When is Worker Protection Standard required?

As of January 2nd, 2017 employers are required to train workers and handlers annually before pesticide application.

What has changed with Worker Protection Standards?

  • Full training for workers and handlers is now required annually (every year).
  • No grace period for training. Workers must be trained before they work in an area where pesticide has been used or an REI has been in effect in the past 30 days.
  • Handlers are no longer able to be the qualified person available during the training.
  • Expanded training content requirements.
  • Establishments must keep records of training for 2 years and provide records to workers and handlers if requested.
  • Handlers and early entry workers must be at least 18 years old.

Which Pesticides are included under the Worker Protection Standards?

The Worker Protection Standard covers both general and restricted use pesticide that are used in the production of agricultural plants, these products will generally have an "Agricultural Use Requirements" section on the product label. The WPS applies whenever a pesticide is used in the production of agricultural plants on an agricultural establishment that has an “Agricultural Use Requirements” section on the product label.

How can I contact the EPA with Worker Protection Standard questions?

Please visit the EPA's Pesticide Work Safety Website to find answers to further questions and contact information.

Who is required to complete WPS training?

Employers at agricultural establishments and commercial pesticide handling establishments such as farms, forests, nurseries, and greenhouses.

Return to Top


What do I have to know to pass the Core Applicator Exam?

  • Up-to-date pest management information and your responsibilities as an applicator
  • Six general pest management methods and their application
  • "Integrated Pest Management (IPM)" solutions defined
  • Simplified federal pesticide laws and regulations that you will understand
  • "Restricted use" vs. "general use" pesticides
  • Learn to build an organized record keeping system
  • Pesticide label explanations for proper identification and use
  • Understand pesticide formulation and its effects
  • Common abbreviations for pesticide formulations (e.g. WP or RUP)
  • Typical symptoms of pesticide exposure in humans and harmful effects
  • Hazard level classification including corresponding signal words
  • Complete guide to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
  • Clear understanding of environmental effects of pesticides
  • Proper transportation, storage and security of pesticides
  • Emergency response and how to react
  • Choosing the proper pesticide and correct application procedures
  • Practice exam to test your knowledge

Who should take this online video course?

Anyone who is preparing to become a commercial or private pesticide applicator and plans on taking the National Pesticide Applicator Certification Core Exam. This course will give you everything you need to know to pass the exam on your first try. It is also an awesome tool for pesticide applicators who would like to refresh their knowledge or need to complete CEUs*.

*Please check with your state for current continuing education requirements.

This is the most thorough online pesticide exam prep available!

Return to Top


What is a Certified Crop Adviser (CCA)?

The CCA certification was established by the American Society of Agronomy in 1992 to provide a benchmark for practicing agronomy professionals in the United States and Canada.

Who should become a Certified Crop Adviser?

Any adviser/consultant that spends the majority of their time advising growers or farm managers/operators on agronomic practices and can meet the standards of the program. Being certified adds credibility and shows that you are serious about what you do.

How do I become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Pass two exams (International and Local Board)
  2. Meet the experience requirements
  3. Apply for the CCA Credential

What are the minimum experience requirements for becoming a Certified Crop Adviser?

  • Have at least two years of experience with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree in an agronomy related field
    (Please keep in mind that University degrees and transcripts must be in English and based on the United States educational standard. If you need assistance in the translation process, you may use Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. or World Education Services)
    *The number of CCAs with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree is greater than 70%

  • Have at least three years of experience with an Associates Degree in an agronomy related field
  • Have at least four years of experience with no degree

How do I apply to become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Document education and crop advising experience (Including transcripts and supporting references)
  2. Sign and agree to uphold the CCA Code of Ethics (Included in application)

Once I become a Certified Crop Adviser, how do I maintain my certification?

  1. Earn 40 hours of continuing education units every 2 years
  2. Pay an annual renewal fee

How long is my Certified Crop Adviser certification valid?

2 years: your certification will expire December 31st two years after your initial certification date.

For example: if you became a CCA on any day between January 1st, 2018-December 31st, 2018--your expiration date would be December 31st, 2020.

Are your continuing education courses approved for CCA CEU Credit by the American Society of Agronomy?

Yes, many of our courses are approved by the American Society of Agronomy Board. On the state pages, the course description will say “Approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit”.

As a Certified Crop Adviser, am I required to take continuing education units in certain areas or topics?

Yes, the continuing education units you complete must fall within certain topic guidelines. The topic breakdown is as follows:

In each two year cycle, a CCA must complete a minimum of 5 CEUs in each of the 4 categories.

The categories are Nutrient Management, Soil and Water Management, Integrated Pest Management, and Crop Management.

At least 20 of the 40 total CEUs must be board approved.

Can I use your courses for credit for CCA continuing education requirements as well as my state licensing recertification requirements?

Yes, absolutely! Any course that is approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit can also be used for state pesticide applicator continuing education credits.

Return to Top

  • Information Last Updated: 05/2021
  • Did you find incorrect information? Email Us