State Licensing Contact Information

Phone: 1-877-301-4555
Fax: 1-360-902-2093
Website: Washington Department of Agriculture
Email: license@agr.wa.gov

What kind of Washington pesticide applicator license do I need?

Commercial Applicator: A person engaged in the business of applying pesticides to the land or property of another. This land can either be publicly or privately owned. There are further requirements, such as proof of financial coverage. Go to http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/LicensingEd/CaSpiInfo.aspx for further information

Commercial Operator: A person employed by a WSDA-licensed Commercial Applicator to apply pesticides to the land or property of another. This property can either be publicly or privately owned.

Private Applicator: Person who applies or supervises the application of a restricted use pesticide on land owned or rented by him or his employer for the purpose of producing an agricultural commodity

Limited Private Applicator/Rancher Private Applicator: Both licenses allow holder to apply or supervise the use of restricted use herbicides on nonproduction ag land (pastures, rangeland, areas around farm buildings) and in mixed rangel and timber areas to control weeds designated for mandatory control. Rancher Private Applicators may also apply herbicides and rodenticides to limited production ag land where hay and grain are grown primarily for on-farm use. Neither license allows the use of restricted use insecticides, fungicides or aquatic herbicides. Both are valid in Eastern Washington only.

Private Commercial Applicator: A person who applies or supervises the use of a restricted use pesticide on land, property or materials owned or rented by him or his employer for purposes other than the production of an agricultural commodity.

Public Operator: A person who, while acting as an employee of a governmental agency, applies restricted use pesticides by any means or any pesticide by power equipment on public or private property. Public Operators may act as Public Consultants. (Public Operators licensed only in the Public Health category are exempt from the fee.)

Public Pest Control Consultant: A person who, while acting as an employee of a governmental agency, offers or supplies technical advice, or makes recommendations to the users of non-home and garden pesticides. Public Consultants may not act as Public Operators without the operator license.

Structural pest Inspector: A person who inspects a structure for wood destroying organisms, their damage or conditions conducive to their development. Wood destroying organisms include carpenter ants, termites, wood infesting beetles and wood rot (fungus). See additional license requirements on our website. Home Inspectors require licensing with DOL.

What are the categories for pesticide licensing in Washington?

-Agricultural Insect & Disease Control
-Agricultural Weed
-Aquatic Pest Control
-Aquatic Pest Control - Irrigation Districts
-Cooling Tower
-Interior Plantscaping
-Ornamental Insect & Disease Control
-PCO General
-PCO Structural
-Pest Animal Control
-Post-Harvest Treatment of Fruits & Vegetables
-Potato Sprout Inhibitor
-Public Health Control
-Rights-of-Way Weed
-Seed Treatment
-Sewer Root Control
-Soil Fumigation RMM
-Stored Grain
-Structural & Turf Demossing
-Sulfur Dioxide Fumigation
-Turf & Ornamental Weed
-Wood Treatment

Does my company need a separate Washington pesticide license?


Do all of my employees need their own Washington pesticide applicator license?


Do I need a Washington pesticide applicator's license to apply general use pesticides for hire?


Does Washington offer reciprocal pesticide applicator licensing with other states?

Yes, please visit the Washington Department of Agriculture's website for more details.

Return to Top


How do I become a certified pesticide applicator in Washington?

  1. Take and pass exam
  2. Complete application
  3. Pay fees
  4. Provide proof of financial coverage

What are the fees associated with Washington pesticide applicator licensing?

Commercial Operators

Exam Fees: $25
License Fees: $67
Renewal Fees: $67
Late Fees: $67

Private Applicators

Exam Fees: $25
License Fees: $33
Renewal Fees: $33
Late Fees: $33

Limited Private Applicators/Rancher Private Applicators

Exam Fees: $25
License Fees: $33/$100
Renewal Fees: $33/$100
Late Fees: $33/$100

Private Commercial Applicator

Exam Fees: $25
License Fees: $33
Renewal Fees: $33
Late Fees: $33

Who administers the Washington pesticide applicator exams?

Washington Department of Agriculture

Where can I find reference materials for the Washington pesticide exam?

Washington State University issues the reference materials.

Return to Top


How do I renew my Washington pesticide applicator certification?

  1. Complete the required continuing education
    • Limited Private Applicators - 8 credits in weed control
    • Rancher Private Applicators - 12 credits
    • Private Applicators - 20 credits - max 10 credits per calendar year
    • All other license types - 40 credits - max 15 credits per calendar year
  2. Visit the Washington State Department of Agricultural License Renewal page.

What continuing education is required to renew a Washington pesticide applicator license?

Limited Private Applicators - 8 credits in weed control
Rancher Private Applicators - 12 credits
Private Applicators - 20 credits - max 10 credits per calendar year
All other license types - 40 credits - max 15 credits per calendar year

Who submits my Washington pesticide applicator continuing education to the state?

We do! Once you complete your courses, our submission specialist submits them to the state for you.

Are your pesticide applicator continuing education courses Washington state-approved?

Yes, all of our courses are approved by the Washington Department of Agriculture, course approval numbers can be found in the course titles.

How long is my Washington pesticide applicator license valid?

Renewal Deadline
All applicators must re-certify every five years by December 31st.

Limited & Rancher Private Applicators begin their renewal cycles as soon as they gain licensure. For example, individuals certified 2/3/14 must renew by 12/31/18
All other certification types begin their renewal cycles the year after they gain certification. For example, individuals certified 2/3/14 must renew by 12/31/19.

Return to Top


How does it work?

  • $159 will train your whole staff for a year (up to 25 employees)
  • Training can be completed as often as needed for up to 25 employees
  • Employees can watch the video course individually or all at once
  • Certificates will be available for each worker at the end of the course

Who is an agricultural worker?

An agricultural worker is anyone who works in a field that has been sprayed with pesticides within the last 30 days or does high-contact agricultural tasks such as weeding, moving irrigation equipment, pruning and harvesting. Workers DO NOT handle pesticides.

Who is a handler?

A handler is anyone who:

  • Assists with applications
  • Mixes, loads or transfers pesticides into application equipment
  • Cleans, repairs or maintains application equipment
  • Works on equipment that has been used to mix, load or apply pesticides
  • Disposes of pesticides or materials with pesticides on them
  • Acts as a flagger
  • Performs tasks as a crop adviser
  • Applies pesticides

Which establishments are required to provide Worker Protection Standard Training?

The Worker Protection Standard (WPS) applies to all establishments involved in growing, producing, or maintaining for sale agricultural plants (including ornamental plants).

This may include, but is not limited to:

  • Nurseries, garden centers, or other similar operations where plants are maintained for sale (retail or wholesale)
  • All crop producing farms
  • Dairy farms that produce hay for cattle
  • Forestry operations
  • Golf courses that produce their own sod
  • Public park operations that produce their own plants
  • Prisons that have "Prison Farms" where agricultural plants are produced and the prisoners are employed as workers or handlers
  • The WPS also applies to any establishment operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment that applies WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural establishments or provides crop advising services for an agricultural establishment

Which pesticide applicators are covered by the Worker Protection Standard?

Most establishments covered by the WPS are crop producing farms, forest operations or nurseries. WPS also covers family owned agricultural operations even if only family members handle and work around pesticides. Essentially, WPS applies to any entity that grows, maintains or produces agricultural plants.

The following facilities or operations that are not generally recognized as traditional agricultural production establishments are covered by the rule if they use WPS-labeled pesticide products:

  • Nurseries, garden centers or other similar operations
  • Dairy farms if they produce hay for cattle feed
  • Golf courses that produce sod or ornamentals for their course
  • Public parks or privately-held ornamental garden operations that produce ornamental plants
  • Theme parks, hotels or other entertainment operations that produce ornamentals for their locations
  • Prisons that have "prison farms" where plants are produced by employed prisoners
  • University extension agricultural research facilities that conduct research on agricultural plants
  • Educational classes or vocational agriculture programs where plant production is completed by students and students receive compensation or reduced tuition
  • Pine straw harvesting/production operations
  • Government-owned or managed agricultural operations

The WPS also applies to any entity operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment applying or advising the application of WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural commodities.

What does Worker Protection Standard require?


All employers must provide EPA approved pesticide training for workers and handlers. Employers must also provide access to specific information including: applications on the establishment, safety data sheets for pesticides applied on establishment, and display a poster with pesticide safety and emergency information.


Employers must keep workers and others out of areas where pesticides are being applied and away from equipment during applications. Handlers must stop application if workers or others are near equipment during applications. Workers must stay out of areas that are under a restricted-entry interval (REI). All early-entry workers on the job in in pesticide-treated areas during REI must be trained in the correct usage of personal protective equipment. Any handlers using highly toxic pesticides must be monitored. Personal protective equipment must be provided and monitored by employers.


The Worker Protection Standard course will train handlers and workers on supply decontamination and emergency assistance including transportation in the case of a pesticide-related accident.

More information on the Worker Protection Standard requirements and how to comply can be found here.

When is Worker Protection Standard required?

As of January 2nd, 2017 employers are required to train workers and handlers annually before pesticide application.

What has changed with Worker Protection Standards?

  • Full training for workers and handlers is now required annually (every year).
  • No grace period for training. Workers must be trained before they work in an area where pesticide has been used or an REI has been in effect in the past 30 days.
  • Handlers are no longer able to be the qualified person available during the training.
  • Expanded training content requirements.
  • Establishments must keep records of training for 2 years and provide records to workers and handlers if requested.
  • Handlers and early entry workers must be at least 18 years old.

Which Pesticides are included under the Worker Protection Standards?

The Worker Protection Standard covers both general and restricted use pesticide that are used in the production of agricultural plants, these products will generally have an "Agricultural Use Requirements" section on the product label. The WPS applies whenever a pesticide is used in the production of agricultural plants on an agricultural establishment that has an “Agricultural Use Requirements” section on the product label.

How can I contact the EPA with Worker Protection Standard questions?

Please visit the EPA's Pesticide Work Safety Website to find answers to further questions and contact information.

Who is required to complete WPS training?

Employers at agricultural establishments and commercial pesticide handling establishments such as farms, forests, nurseries, and greenhouses.

Return to Top


What do I have to know to pass the Core Applicator Exam?

  • Up-to-date pest management information and your responsibilities as an applicator
  • Six general pest management methods and their application
  • "Integrated Pest Management (IPM)" solutions defined
  • Simplified federal pesticide laws and regulations that you will understand
  • "Restricted use" vs. "general use" pesticides
  • Learn to build an organized record keeping system
  • Pesticide label explanations for proper identification and use
  • Understand pesticide formulation and its effects
  • Common abbreviations for pesticide formulations (e.g. WP or RUP)
  • Typical symptoms of pesticide exposure in humans and harmful effects
  • Hazard level classification including corresponding signal words
  • Complete guide to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
  • Clear understanding of environmental effects of pesticides
  • Proper transportation, storage and security of pesticides
  • Emergency response and how to react
  • Choosing the proper pesticide and correct application procedures
  • Practice exam to test your knowledge

Who should take this online video course?

Anyone who is preparing to become a commercial or private pesticide applicator and plans on taking the National Pesticide Applicator Certification Core Exam. This course will give you everything you need to know to pass the exam on your first try. It is also an awesome tool for pesticide applicators who would like to refresh their knowledge or need to complete CEUs*.

*Please check with your state for current continuing education requirements.

This is the most thorough online pesticide exam prep available!

Return to Top


What is a Certified Crop Adviser (CCA)?

The CCA certification was established by the American Society of Agronomy in 1992 to provide a benchmark for practicing agronomy professionals in the United States and Canada.

Who should become a Certified Crop Adviser?

Any adviser/consultant that spends the majority of their time advising growers or farm managers/operators on agronomic practices and can meet the standards of the program. Being certified adds credibility and shows that you are serious about what you do.

How do I become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Pass two exams (International and Local Board)
  2. Meet the experience requirements
  3. Apply for the CCA Credential

What are the minimum experience requirements for becoming a Certified Crop Adviser?

  • Have at least two years of experience with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree in an agronomy related field
    (Please keep in mind that University degrees and transcripts must be in English and based on the United States educational standard. If you need assistance in the translation process, you may use Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. or World Education Services)
    *The number of CCAs with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree is greater than 70%

  • Have at least three years of experience with an Associates Degree in an agronomy related field
  • Have at least four years of experience with no degree

How do I apply to become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Document education and crop advising experience (Including transcripts and supporting references)
  2. Sign and agree to uphold the CCA Code of Ethics (Included in application)

Once I become a Certified Crop Adviser, how do I maintain my certification?

  1. Earn 40 hours of continuing education units every 2 years
  2. Pay an annual renewal fee

How long is my Certified Crop Adviser certification valid?

2 years: your certification will expire December 31st two years after your initial certification date.

For example: if you became a CCA on any day between January 1st, 2018-December 31st, 2018--your expiration date would be December 31st, 2020.

Are your continuing education courses approved for CCA CEU Credit by the American Society of Agronomy?

Yes, many of our courses are approved by the American Society of Agronomy Board. On the state pages, the course description will say “Approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit”.

As a Certified Crop Adviser, am I required to take continuing education units in certain areas or topics?

Yes, the continuing education units you complete must fall within certain topic guidelines. The topic breakdown is as follows:

In each two year cycle, a CCA must complete a minimum of 5 CEUs in each of the 4 categories.

The categories are Nutrient Management, Soil and Water Management, Integrated Pest Management, and Crop Management.

At least 20 of the 40 total CEUs must be board approved.

Can I use your courses for credit for CCA continuing education requirements as well as my state licensing recertification requirements?

Yes, absolutely! Any course that is approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit can also be used for state pesticide applicator continuing education credits.

Return to Top

  • Information Last Updated: 05/2020
  • Did you find incorrect information? Email Us