New Jersey Pesticide Control Program Contact Information

Phone: (609) 984-6507

Fax: (609) 954-6555

Mailing Address:

Bureau of Licensing and Registration
Mail Code 401-04E
401 East State Street
PO Box 420
Trenton, NJ 08625-0420

Website: New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection

What kind of New Jersey pesticide applicator license do I need?

Commercial Pesticide Applicator- any person who applies pesticides for non-agricultural purposes. Any person who uses, or supervises the use, of pesticides on a "for hire" basis, no matter what for. Also, any person who applies pesticides as part of his job with any government agency. Examples of commercial applicators are those who work for exterminators; landscapers; tree services; aerial applicators; weed control firms; pet groomers; apartments, motels, nursing homes, restaurants, etc. who do their own pest control work; and government agencies such as mosquito extermination commissions, public school systems, Departments of Public Works, Departments of Health, the DOT, etc.

Commercial Pesticide Operator- Anyone using pesticides under the direct supervision of a Commercial Certified Pesticide Applicator is required to be trained and licensed as a Pesticide Operator. The only exemption to this requirement for Pesticide Operator licensing is if the person being supervised always has the Certified Pesticide Applicator who is supervising them present at the time and place of application when pesticides are being used.

Private Applicator- any person who uses, or supervises the use, of pesticides for the purpose of raising an agricultural commodity. The pesticide use can be on land owned or rented by the applicator or the applicator's employer. Examples of private applicators are dairy farmers, vegetable or fruit growers, greenhouse growers, ranchers, and nurserymen.

What are the categories for pesticide licensing in New Jersey?

Category 1A – Plant
Category 1B – Animals
Category 2 – Forest pest control
Category 3A – Ornamental
Category 3B – Turf
Category 3C- Interior plant scaping
Category 4 – Seed treatment
Category 5 – Aquatic pest control
Category 6A – General vegetation management
Category 6B – Right of Way
Category 7A – General and household pest control
Category 7B – Termites & other wood destroying insects
Category 7C – Fumigation pest control
Category 7D- Food manufacturing and processing
Category 7E – Wood preserving pest control
Category 7F – Antifoulants
Category 8A – General Public Health
Category 8B – Mosquito Control
Category 8C – Campground pest control
Category 8D – Cooling water pest control
Category 8E – Sewer root control
Category 8F – Pet grooming
Category 9 – Regulatory pest control
Category 10 – Demo & Research
Category 11 – Aerial pest control
Category 12A – Water sanitation
Category 12B – Sterilization
Category 13 – School IPM

Does my company need a separate New Jersey pesticide license?

Anyone who operates a business that applies pesticides as a service must be licensed as a Pesticide Applicator Business. Any business selling restricted-use pesticides to an end-user must be licensed as a Pesticide Dealer Business.

Do all of my employees need their own New Jersey pesticide applicator certification?

No, however the employee must be under the “direct supervision” of a licensed commercial pesticide applicator that is working for the company. Direct supervision means within eye sight and ear shot of the pesticide applicator. 

Do I need a New Jersey pesticide applicator certification to apply general use pesticides for hire?

A business is exempt from needing a license if using any “minimum risk” pesticidal substance listed in 40 CFR Part 152.Does the state offer Pesticide Applicator reciprocity with other states?

Does New Jersey offer pesticide applicator reciprocal licensing with other states?

Yes, please click here to view further information on reciprocity.
Return to Top

How do I become a licensed pesticide applicator in New Jersey?

Commercial Applicators:

  1. Have 40 Hours on the job training for each category**
  2. Take training course
  3. Submit application
  4. Take and pass exams

**Forty hours of OJT is required if it is available to you. Presently, you may take training courses for categories 3A, 3B, 7A and 7B (see Notice) in lieu of the 40 hours of OJT, if it is not available to you. For other categories, an exemption is available. Some of the situations that would qualify for this exemption include a person who is starting their own business, or someone working for an apartment complex, school or government agency and where there is no Certified Pesticide Applicator currently employed to give the training. To apply for the exemption, indicate on the Category Training Verification Form why the 40 hours of OJT is not available to you and submit along with the exam application form. You may also sign an affidavit stating that you have at least one year of work experience in the categories you are applying for. Submit the signed affidavit along with the exam application.

Commercial Operators:

  1. Take training course
  2. Fill out application
  3. Get 40 hrs on the job training for each category
  4. Wait for license confirmation letter
  5. Employer sends in invoice and $30 license fee AFTER 40hrs is complete

Private Applicators:

  1. Complete application
  2. Take and pass exam

Who administers the New Jersey pesticide exams?

New Jersey Bureau of Licensing and Registrations

How do I schedule my New Jersey pesticide exam?

Core Exam Sign-up Instructions:

Step 1-Attend an approved Basic Pesticide Training Class

Step 2- Submit the following to
NJDEP Pesticide Control Program – MC 401-04E
Attn: Exams
PO Box 420
Trenton, NJ 08625

  • Completed Exam Application Form VPA-030 (Exam codes and dates can be found here)
  • Copy of “Basic Pesticide Training Class Attendance Certification”
  • Any applicable fees ($50 if previous no show)

Category Exam Sign-up Instructions:

Step 1 – Complete 40-hours of “On-the-Job Training” (OJT) for EACH category if it is available to you. If you are unable to get the 40 hours of OJT, follow instructions in Option A or Option B below. Note: Category 10 & 13 are exempt from Category Training Requirements.

Option A - If you are applying for Categories 3A, 3B, 7A, or 7B, and cannot get the 40 hours of OJT, you must take an approved category training course from one of the following providers:

Ken Healy: 866-851-4389 (or email
Kathy Roberts: 215-288-4954 (or email
Barry Stangel: 845-357-7734 (or email
Paul Stanziale: 201-874-4453 (or email

Submit a copy of your "Category Course Attendance Certificate" (do not submit original certificate - save this for your records) with the exam application form and payment. You will receive the course attendance certificate from the course coordinator after completion of the course.
If you have at least one year of verifiable work experience as a Pesticide Applicator or Operator in any category (including Categories 3A, 3B, 7A or 7B), complete the affidavit affirming that you have the required one year of work experience and submit.

Option B - If you are applying for categories other than 3A, 3B, 7A, or 7B and cannot get the 40 hours of OJT, complete the "Category Training Verification Form" and explain why you cannot obtain the OJT and submit with exam application form and payment. Important: If you are taking exams because you did not get enough recertification credits during your 5-year recertification period, you do not need to take the 40 hours of the OJT again. Simply write your current NJ Pesticide Applicator License Number in the box at the top-right-corner of the exam application form and submit. However, this option does not apply if you have not been licensed for 2 consecutive years or more.

If you were previously licensed as a NJ Pesticide Applicator and have not been licensed for 2 consecutive years or more, you must receive the 40 hours of OJT again or fulfill the requirements in Options A or B above.

If you are taking Categories 10 or 13, OJT is not required. If you are taking Category 11, OJT is required, but additional categories required with Category 11 do not require OJT.

Note: To prepare for the exam, you must purchase the specific "Category Training Manual" from the County Cooperative Extension Office in your area. Training manuals cannot be purchased from the Pesticide Control Program.

Step 2- Submit the following to:
NJDEP Pesticide Control Program – MC 401-04E
Attn: Exams
PO Box 420
Trenton, NJ 08625

  • Completed Exam Application Form VPA-030 (exam dates and codes can be found here)
  • Submit only one of the following for each category
    • Category Training Verification Form stating you have 40 hours of OJT, OR
    • Category Training Verification Form stating that you do not have the 40 hours of OJT available to you and state the reason why. (This option is not available if you are applying for Categories 3A, 3B, 7A, or 7B), OR
    • A copy of your "Category Course Attendance Certificate" if applying for Categories 3A, 3B, 7A, or 7B, OR
    • The affidavit stating that you have at least one year of verifiable work experience as a Pesticide Applicator or Operator in Categories 3A, 3B, 7A or 7B.
  • Any applicable fees ($50 if previous no show)

Private Pesticide Applicator Exam Sign-up Instructions:

Step 1-Complete the Exam Application Form VPA-030 (exam schedule and codes can be found here)

Step 2-Pay any applicable fees ($50 if previous no show)

Step 3-Submit the previous to:

NJDEP Pesticide Control Program – MC 401-04E
Attn: Exams
PO Box 420
Trenton, NJ 08625

General Exam Sign-up Notes:

  • The completed application package must be received by the Pesticide Control Program at least 14 days before the exam dates chosen
  • A confirmation letter indicating your assigned exam date, site, and time will be emailed to you
  • The Online Reports portal allows you to check on your exam assignment and to review your exam results
  • Bring picture ID (driver’s license, passport etc) to exam
  • Latecomers to exams will not be admitted
  • Exams cannot be scheduled over the phone or by fax
  • Please fill-in all forms completely or they will be returned
  • Assigned exam dates are final-no rescheduling
  • In case of severe weather, call the following numbers to find out whether or not the exam will be cancelled: (609) 984-6893 or (609) 984-6873
  • Exams not held due to severe weather will be rescheduled without charge
  • For further clarification or questions click here or call (609) 984-6614

Pesticide Operators:

Pesticide Operator licensing does not require passing a test. Instead, the operator must complete a Department approved Basic Pesticide Training Course and complete forty hours of on-the-job training in each category of work.

Where can I find reference materials for the New Jersey pesticide exam?

County Cooperative Extension Office

Is the New Jersey pesticide exam open book?

The Commercial Core, Private Applicator, Pesticide Dealer and Category 1A, 2 , 3A, 3B, 3C, 6B, 7A, 8B, and 13 exams are all CLOSED book. All other category exams are open book.

How many exams can I take on one exam date?

You may take up to 3 exams on any one exam date. This includes any combination of exams.

What fees are associated with New Jersey pesticide applicator certification?

Exam Fees: There are no exam fees as of August 1, 2008, UNLESS you fail to show up for a scheduled exam. If you fail to show up for a scheduled exam, the next time you sign-up for any exam, there will be a $50.00 ‘no show’ sign-up fee. This $50.00 fee is not a per exam fee; it is the same whether you sign-up for 1 exam or 3.
This $50.00 'NO SHOW FEE' is automatically assessed when you miss a scheduled exam. (Exceptions: Military Duty, Jury Duty and a death in the family, with proof submitted to the Bureau for verification.)

Commercial Applicator:

License Fees: $80

Renewal Fees: $80/year

Commercial Operator:

License Fees: $30

Renewal Fees: $30/year

Private Applicator:

License Fees: $0

Renewal Fees: $0
Return to Top


What continuing education is required to renew a New Jersey pesticide license?

8 units in Core and 16 units in each category over the five-year re-certification period. You may also re-test.

How do I renew my New Jersey pesticide applicator certification?

Commercial & Private Applicators: You will receive an update of your recertification status at least once a year. The "Recertification Update Form" will tell you when your 5 year period is up, how many units you have accumulated and how many more you need.

If there are any questions on the certification program, please call the PCP at (609) 984-6507.

Are your New Jersey pesticide continuing education courses state-approved?

Yes, New Jersey approval numbers can be found in the course titles.

How long is my New Jersey pesticide applicator certification valid?

Each exam has a 5 year renewal period.
Return to Top


How does it work?

  • $159 will train your whole staff for a year (up to 25 employees)
  • Training can be completed as often as needed for up to 25 employees
  • Employees can watch the video course individually or all at once
  • Certificates will be available for each worker at the end of the course

Who is an agricultural worker?

An agricultural worker is anyone who works in a field that has been sprayed with pesticides within the last 30 days or does high-contact agricultural tasks such as weeding, moving irrigation equipment, pruning and harvesting. Workers DO NOT handle pesticides.

Who is a handler?

A handler is anyone who:

  • Assists with applications
  • Mixes, loads or transfers pesticides into application equipment
  • Cleans, repairs or maintains application equipment
  • Works on equipment that has been used to mix, load or apply pesticides
  • Disposes of pesticides or materials with pesticides on them
  • Acts as a flagger
  • Performs tasks as a crop adviser
  • Applies pesticides

Which establishments are required to provide Worker Protection Standard Training?

The Worker Protection Standard (WPS) applies to all establishments involved in growing, producing, or maintaining for sale agricultural plants (including ornamental plants).

This may include, but is not limited to:

  • Nurseries, garden centers, or other similar operations where plants are maintained for sale (retail or wholesale)
  • All crop producing farms
  • Dairy farms that produce hay for cattle
  • Forestry operations
  • Golf courses that produce their own sod
  • Public park operations that produce their own plants
  • Prisons that have "Prison Farms" where agricultural plants are produced and the prisoners are employed as workers or handlers
  • The WPS also applies to any establishment operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment that applies WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural establishments or provides crop advising services for an agricultural establishment

Which pesticide applicators are covered by the Worker Protection Standard?

Most establishments covered by the WPS are crop producing farms, forest operations or nurseries. WPS also covers family owned agricultural operations even if only family members handle and work around pesticides. Essentially, WPS applies to any entity that grows, maintains or produces agricultural plants.

The following facilities or operations that are not generally recognized as traditional agricultural production establishments are covered by the rule if they use WPS-labeled pesticide products:

  • Nurseries, garden centers or other similar operations
  • Dairy farms if they produce hay for cattle feed
  • Golf courses that produce sod or ornamentals for their course
  • Public parks or privately-held ornamental garden operations that produce ornamental plants
  • Theme parks, hotels or other entertainment operations that produce ornamentals for their locations
  • Prisons that have "prison farms" where plants are produced by employed prisoners
  • University extension agricultural research facilities that conduct research on agricultural plants
  • Educational classes or vocational agriculture programs where plant production is completed by students and students receive compensation or reduced tuition
  • Pine straw harvesting/production operations
  • Government-owned or managed agricultural operations

The WPS also applies to any entity operating as a commercial pesticide handling establishment applying or advising the application of WPS-labeled pesticide products on agricultural commodities.

What does Worker Protection Standard require?


All employers must provide EPA approved pesticide training for workers and handlers. Employers must also provide access to specific information including: applications on the establishment, safety data sheets for pesticides applied on establishment, and display a poster with pesticide safety and emergency information.


Employers must keep workers and others out of areas where pesticides are being applied and away from equipment during applications. Handlers must stop application if workers or others are near equipment during applications. Workers must stay out of areas that are under a restricted-entry interval (REI). All early-entry workers on the job in in pesticide-treated areas during REI must be trained in the correct usage of personal protective equipment. Any handlers using highly toxic pesticides must be monitored. Personal protective equipment must be provided and monitored by employers.


The Worker Protection Standard course will train handlers and workers on supply decontamination and emergency assistance including transportation in the case of a pesticide-related accident.

More information on the Worker Protection Standard requirements and how to comply can be found here.

When is Worker Protection Standard required?

As of January 2nd, 2017 employers are required to train workers and handlers annually before pesticide application.

What has changed with Worker Protection Standards?

  • Full training for workers and handlers is now required annually (every year).
  • No grace period for training. Workers must be trained before they work in an area where pesticide has been used or an REI has been in effect in the past 30 days.
  • Handlers are no longer able to be the qualified person available during the training.
  • Expanded training content requirements.
  • Establishments must keep records of training for 2 years and provide records to workers and handlers if requested.
  • Handlers and early entry workers must be at least 18 years old.

Which Pesticides are included under the Worker Protection Standards?

The Worker Protection Standard covers both general and restricted use pesticide that are used in the production of agricultural plants, these products will generally have an "Agricultural Use Requirements" section on the product label. The WPS applies whenever a pesticide is used in the production of agricultural plants on an agricultural establishment that has an “Agricultural Use Requirements” section on the product label.

How can I contact the EPA with Worker Protection Standard questions?

Please visit the EPA's Pesticide Work Safety Website to find answers to further questions and contact information.

Who is required to complete WPS training?

Employers at agricultural establishments and commercial pesticide handling establishments such as farms, forests, nurseries, and greenhouses.

Return to Top


What do I have to know to pass the Core Applicator Exam?

  • Up-to-date pest management information and your responsibilities as an applicator
  • Six general pest management methods and their application
  • "Integrated Pest Management (IPM)" solutions defined
  • Simplified federal pesticide laws and regulations that you will understand
  • "Restricted use" vs. "general use" pesticides
  • Learn to build an organized record keeping system
  • Pesticide label explanations for proper identification and use
  • Understand pesticide formulation and its effects
  • Common abbreviations for pesticide formulations (e.g. WP or RUP)
  • Typical symptoms of pesticide exposure in humans and harmful effects
  • Hazard level classification including corresponding signal words
  • Complete guide to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
  • Clear understanding of environmental effects of pesticides
  • Proper transportation, storage and security of pesticides
  • Emergency response and how to react
  • Choosing the proper pesticide and correct application procedures
  • Practice exam to test your knowledge

Who should take this online video course?

Anyone who is preparing to become a commercial or private pesticide applicator and plans on taking the National Pesticide Applicator Certification Core Exam. This course will give you everything you need to know to pass the exam on your first try. It is also an awesome tool for pesticide applicators who would like to refresh their knowledge or need to complete CEUs*.

*Please check with your state for current continuing education requirements.

This is the most thorough online pesticide exam prep available!

Return to Top


What is a Certified Crop Adviser (CCA)?

The CCA certification was established by the American Society of Agronomy in 1992 to provide a benchmark for practicing agronomy professionals in the United States and Canada.

Who should become a Certified Crop Adviser?

Any adviser/consultant that spends the majority of their time advising growers or farm managers/operators on agronomic practices and can meet the standards of the program. Being certified adds credibility and shows that you are serious about what you do.

How do I become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Pass two exams (International and Local Board)
  2. Meet the experience requirements
  3. Apply for the CCA Credential

What are the minimum experience requirements for becoming a Certified Crop Adviser?

  • Have at least two years of experience with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree in an agronomy related field
    (Please keep in mind that University degrees and transcripts must be in English and based on the United States educational standard. If you need assistance in the translation process, you may use Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. or World Education Services)
    *The number of CCAs with at least a Bachelor of Science Degree is greater than 70%

  • Have at least three years of experience with an Associates Degree in an agronomy related field
  • Have at least four years of experience with no degree

How do I apply to become a Certified Crop Adviser?

  1. Document education and crop advising experience (Including transcripts and supporting references)
  2. Sign and agree to uphold the CCA Code of Ethics (Included in application)

Once I become a Certified Crop Adviser, how do I maintain my certification?

  1. Earn 40 hours of continuing education units every 2 years
  2. Pay an annual renewal fee

How long is my Certified Crop Adviser certification valid?

2 years: your certification will expire December 31st two years after your initial certification date.

For example: if you became a CCA on any day between January 1st, 2018-December 31st, 2018--your expiration date would be December 31st, 2020.

Are your continuing education courses approved for CCA CEU Credit by the American Society of Agronomy?

Yes, many of our courses are approved by the American Society of Agronomy Board. On the state pages, the course description will say “Approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit”.

As a Certified Crop Adviser, am I required to take continuing education units in certain areas or topics?

Yes, the continuing education units you complete must fall within certain topic guidelines. The topic breakdown is as follows:

In each two year cycle, a CCA must complete a minimum of 5 CEUs in each of the 4 categories.

The categories are Nutrient Management, Soil and Water Management, Integrated Pest Management, and Crop Management.

At least 20 of the 40 total CEUs must be board approved.

Can I use your courses for credit for CCA continuing education requirements as well as my state licensing recertification requirements?

Yes, absolutely! Any course that is approved for Certified Crop Adviser Credit can also be used for state pesticide applicator continuing education credits.

Return to Top

  • Information Last Updated: 05/2020
  • Did you find incorrect information? Email Us